Best night sight/fiber optic for glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    I just recently purchased a glock 19 and I'm curious what you guys think. What are the best night sights/fiber optics to add and what are the pros and cons of the sight you prefer?

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    In my experience of carrying a pistol full time for the last 18+ years, night sites have a limited time of benefit on the gun for me (dusk/dawn). I have switched in recent years to all black on black sights on all of my Glocks. That being said, my full and mid size guns all have lights on them, so there is that. I have used the Heinie Straight 8 sights and liked those. The Trijicon HDs are also pretty nice.

jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    With the trijicon HDs having that big dot front sight, do you find that it's really only good for more of a point and shoot target that is closer to you. In other words I've heard for target shooting they are not ideal, but for defense they are great. I'm looking for that perfect in between

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I found the Heinie Straight 8 was the best of both worlds for me, but ultimately I went all black.

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    In my research and experience, for self defense, it's probably not important. The vast majority of times you might use your gun in self defense, it will either be at point blank range, or everything will be happening so quickly you probably won't have much of a chance to really align your sights.

However, at the range it makes a difference. I find I lose my sight with any black front sights generally. The white that come with the Glock are ok, but a nice red or green front sight makes target shooting much easier. As for the style, I've gone with a black back sight and red fiber optic on the front of my G43, and my wife has the same one on her 19. However, if you want something on the back sight, then either a dot over dot, or dot over a bar is the most accurate for most people. The 3 dot pattern can be a little distracting, too much attention is being brought to the back sights, when you want your attention on the front sight. A lot may depend on the style of shooting, competition or just practice? And personal preference of course. In the final analysis, anything bright on the front sight can be helpful, too much or the wrong thing on the back sight can be distracting, and for most self defense situations it most likely won't matter what you have, but a bigger sight (like the XS Big Dot) would probably provide the best chance for fast sighting acquisition.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree with most of what has been said. I really like/love my Ameriglo i-dot pros on my 17. The only issue is that they are a .180 rear/.140 front which is a pretty big front and a lot of light on either side. I can shoot pretty accurately at distance. I made the final 2 at an Advantage class a couple of years ago shooting steel out to about 90 yards with them, but they aren't ideal for it.

There are a set of 10-8 fiber optics on my 19. They are a .140 rear/.115 front. Really well made sights, but for some reason I have never really liked them. This may not be cool, but my wife has some plain painted Ameriglo 3 dot sights on her 19. They are .155 rear/.125 front and I really shoot them well. I've thought about trying a plain black rear with a painted dot front with these same numbers as I agree that you really need a light at night anyway. Plain black is just too hard for my 40+ year old eyes to pick up fast....

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I just use meprolight sights, since the outer ring won't wash off with solvent like the trijicons can. Also I have a g19 with factory steel rear and ameriglo fiber optic front. I have a dawson fiber front with adjustable rear on my g34, and some sort of fiber front and u notch rear on my gray g19.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Interesting thoughts gentleman. It looks like I'm still going to have to try and buy until I find exactly what I like. Not sure what I'll start with yet. I'm still in the decision making process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom