Best Sniper Rifle for the money? Looking at DPMS LR-308 24In bull

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAEDISON

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    So I am now in search of a heavy duty bull barrel 308 automatic sniper rifle, I already have a bolt auction.

What else is out there ar style without building your own and buying a upper and lower etc. Iam looking at a stripped down model. Probably will replace the stock and add a good scope.

My main concern is having a heavy duty barrel

Looking for spending under 1500 new for just the rifle. Not including and added furniture.

I'm leaning 75% at the lr-308.

Any suggestion

Edison

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    So I am now in search of a heavy duty bull barrel 308 automatic sniper rifle, I already have a bolt auction.

What else is out there ar style without building your own and buying a upper and lower etc. Iam looking at a stripped down model. Probably will replace the stock and add a good scope.

My main concern is having a heavy duty barrel

Looking for spending under 1500 new for just the rifle. Not including and added furniture.

I'm leaning 75% at the lr-308.

Any suggestion

Edison

M1A all day long

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    uruqybyz.jpg

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    For the price the DPMS LR308 is a decent rifle to start with. The 24" heavy barrel makes the gun crazy heavy. I had the 24" barrel, magpul PRS stock, Harris bipod, and the DPMS factory quad rail and my gun weighed in at about 16 pounds. I had Eduardo changing in BR cut and crown the barrel at 18" and put a magpul ACSL on and swapped the Harris for a grip pod and lost about 3-4 pounds. It's sub MOA with FGMM and BH 168 match BTHP out to 400 yards (that's as far as it's been stretched). There are plenty of after market barrels and furniture available to upgrade. All in all I think it's a good deal and that you'll be pleased but that's my .02.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Savage 110 BA in .338 Lupua Mag.

I've seen this rifle do amazing things at incredible distances.
    (Of course the gun must have a shooter,
    but this gun, in this caliber, is only hindered by the shooter)

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have shot the dpms .308 Oracle, lite hunter (20" stainless lightweight barrel), and 24" bull.

The Oracle is actually 1" straight out the box on good factory ammo...never bothered to stretch it's legs or load for it but wow.

The lite hunter was so bad I sent it back and it's been in their hands for 4 months now. They DID shoot it and confirmed that I'm not crazy. It needed a new barrel and I've been guaranteed by the gunsmith that mine will definitely be a shooter when I get it back (he said the lite hunter is usually MOA or better out the box). Nice thing this one came with a 2 stage trigger that I love and it's free floated and very light. I was hoping the 20" barrel and target crown would give me a nice baseline for full powder burn and accurate rifle. I have not received it back, but expect a full range report when done. This rifle wouldn't post any better than a 1.75" group and to me that's junk when their 16" worked so well out the box - their gunsmith agreed...mine was bad.

The 24" bull was stupid accurate. But it's a tank. Nice stainless barrel...needs a trigger though. You probably can't beat this accuracy out of a semi .308 for the money.

Only ones I have wanted to try other than those listed are a TAC20 or a 18" bull model. But those aren't stainless barrels of that matters to you.

Lots of choices out there and DPMS (usually) makes an excellent product...especially in the .308.

And for reference the best I have gotten out of my sig 716 thus far is only a 1.25" group. But...piston gun has a lot going on with the barrel to demand much better than that plus it's now a dedicated suppressor gun for me now pretty much. I do love it, but it's a shame that it's not more accurate for the money. I'm SURE it will be QUITE reliable though compared to the others if I had to "go to war" with it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Also...not necessarily what you asked about but my next rifle will be a lightweight AR15 build in 6.5 grendel. I just ordered the 20" fluted barrel and will let you know how it shoots. I'm going for superlight long range on that build.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom