Big news from the shop!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Well I finally got my heat treating oven from my tax return! This is a 27" deep Evenheat model with the optional rampmaster control. The controller can store lots of programs for different metals and what not. Reaches 2200 degrees which means all carbon and stainless steels can be heat treated by myself. Got it running a initial break in/test run. Getting it to 1000 degrees and then it will hold it for a hour. I know most of yall could care less but the knife nerd in me is jumping for joy! :rofl: Will get to test hardness on different metals under different heat treatments and now no send offs and that cuts waiting time down by a lot!

Here are some pics

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That is cool!!! (or....hot, I guess in this case- hot..)

Fine setup....Congrats!!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Congratulations!!! It's always a big day when you are able to acquire that specialized piece of machinery that helps you step out just a little bit more on your own.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    that's friggen awesome! You'll still have to crank up the torch now and then for nostalgia's sake. :fawk:

And I still need to do a write up on the machete.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Yay! Thank you sir. PM me a price range for machine use / labor and when I get a batch I'll bring or send them to you.
    I'm just a beginner but I like to think I can forge a decent utility knife.

Do you forge your own or use stock removal?

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yay! Thank you sir. PM me a price range for machine use / labor and when I get a batch I'll bring or send them to you.
    I'm just a beginner but I like to think I can forge a decent utility knife.

Do you forge your own or use stock removal?
    Pay for shipping or a diet mountain dew if you bring them.

I'm in Youngsville, could you straw some Luger parts for me?
    Send me a PM and let me know what you want to do exactly!

Im currently looking into different quench oils and will be getting a fast and slow quench oil plus some aluminum plates for plate quenching soon. First thing first is to get a workstation for the oven built this weekend hopefully!

Last edited:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Honestly the big advantage for me with this is the stainless steels. Plus it should help me go skinnier on kitchen knives by changing things up with the grind/heat treat process. Most of my kitchen knives so far were general purpose at 1/8" but Id like to get closer to 1/16" or 3/32" for those super slicers! This oven will help me change my process around to where it will be a lot easier for me to do just that.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    That's just cheating, a real knifesmith could heat treat five different types of steel ay the same time in a charcoal bar b que pit while cooking dinner. :)
    Nice looking oven, I'm sure that will give you the flexibility to temper different types of knives how you see fit. On a side note, don't some stainless steels require tempering under a vacuum?

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    That's just cheating, a real knifesmith could heat treat five different types of steel ay the same time in a charcoal bar b que pit while cooking dinner. :)
    Nice looking oven, I'm sure that will give you the flexibility to temper different types of knives how you see fit. On a side note, don't some stainless steels require tempering under a vacuum?
    None that are used for knives or that I plan on using. Now some commercial places use different heat treat methods and I know of one or two places that do vacuum heat treating even for carbon blades (less clean up and polishing afterwards). Im gonna be looking into 440c, s35v, cpm 154 and a couple others after I do some initial testing. Now I do have to setup a small place to do some cryo on some of the stainless steels. This can be anything from liquid nitrogen to dry ice in acetone. Doing some more research on the best setup there.

Top Bottom