Big things on the bench!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    LOL when I say big I mean big!

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

The first pic shows a short sword (if 2 foot long blade is considered short...) that a youth at a local church and I have been working on together whenever he has free time. It's w2 steel that's a 1/4" thick and about 2" wide. That peice is the guard that we are starting to work on. At first he wanted to watch me make it for him and I said no! Ill help but I want you to have some involvement in it. I havn't told him but Im not charging him anything not even materials when its done. It is far from perfect but it is fun and he will have a story behind it and Im sure never forget about it!

The second photo is a camp sword. A bladesmith forum I visit a lot had a little challenge where everyone makes a camp sword and then we all can see others works and compare, ask questions, and hopefully learn from one another. I wanted something quick and responsive and between a machete and a big bowie in size. I wanted it tough enough to cut thru a 2x4 easily but still be used as a knife when need. What you see is not the final shape. The back wont be that long straight line. Im keeping like that till im done grinding the edge then Ill add some curvenear the tip and handle. Im semi stuck on the handle material. I have this nice stabalized redwood burl but part of me would like some sort of bone or if I could figure out how to wrap the handle in leather or aligator skin. I think the shape wouldnt make it easy tho for a wrap and can't find any bone 2" wide so we will see.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Cool.

I had a craving for a short sword the other day. I had no idea how hard it is to find one that is sharpened aka "useful". I ended up with a tomahawk.
    I'm really interested in seeing how that camp sword pans out.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Cool.

I had a craving for a short sword the other day. I had no idea how hard it is to find one that is sharpened aka "useful". I ended up with a tomahawk.
    I'm really interested in seeing how that camp sword pans out.
    That is the idea behind the camp sword. Some of the other makers are doing some cool things like katana inspired camp sword etc. I want mine to be about function and then looks can come into the pic.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Got the handle in the shape I wanted. Feels good so far. Drilled pin holes.

IMG_0614.jpg

Sitting down and looking at it and wondering the I rounded the tip like this if it would be better. Any thought?

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Also threw around the idea about a small drop point type

IMG_0619.jpg

Gonna finish grinding on it later or tommorow and sleep on the final shape of the blade. Any comments or suggestions are wanted!

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I sorta like it the way it is....but what would a larger drop point look like?

Also, if you were making this for me, I'd like to see part of the main blade, towards the handle, serrated. Not more than 1/4 of the blade though. On the opposite side, maybe 3" of saw teeth?

And "blood holes" along the blade? It'd cut down on the weight and may help with balance.

Just tossin some ideas at ya. ;)

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I like it the way it is.

We really need to get together and make a knife sheath combo.

What would be really bad would be a small knife I could work into a buckle or small sheath integrated into the belt, but I like big things that cut also.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'd take one in a shorter configuration of about sixteen to eighteen inches with a hole like the La Griffe design in the handle. Big, long false edge sharper than a tack.

Where does this blade balance?

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yeah I'm leaning toward the drop point too the more i look at it. The blade itself is suprisingly light and nimble. I will also be drilling and or milling a lot more holes in the handle to lighten it up more and it gives the epoxy more to grab and fill. I want the handle to be about half the weight it is now. This should help with hand fatigue if doing a bunch of chopping and make the whole knife/sword feel more nimble so to speak.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I like it the way it is.

We really need to get together and make a knife sheath combo.

What would be really bad would be a small knife I could work into a buckle or small sheath integrated into the belt, but I like big things that cut also.
    I would love too! If you have any ideas or designs let me know. Shoot me a pm or my email and cell are on mys site in my sig if you ever need.

I'd take one in a shorter configuration of about sixteen to eighteen inches with a hole like the La Griffe design in the handle. Big, long false edge sharper than a tack.

Where does this blade balance?
    Hard to say on balance right now since im not done grinding and got a little more handle work to do. I'm hoping for a overall quick blade but with just a slight bit of heft to it for some good chopping. I still want it to be able to be used as a knife if need be tho so that is kind of the challenge. Balancing out everything and still being fully functional. Im gonna finish up the grinding tommorow hopefully and then Ill know for sure. Was gonna do kydex sheath but starting to lean toward something leather. Molle lock would be nice but the more I think about it leather with a d ring or something like that would probably be better for something this size.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Got some time this afternoon to grind up to a pre -heat treat 220 grit. Also got some more holes in the handle drilled to lighten it up and give more places for the epoxy to grab and fill. I'm pretty happy with how light and strong it feels. Didn't want a long heavy club feel and didnt want a super light flimsy feel.

Oh went with the slight drop point tip also

Side by side comparison on my big machete I have

IMG_0621.jpg

Here are the spines side by side. You can see at 3/16" thick that this camp sword is made to handle some abuse.

IMG_0622.jpg

Here is the handle lightened up. Has 3 holes centered for pins but still debating handle material options and if I want a thong hole tube for a lanyard on the last hole.

IMG_0624.jpg

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    So work has been insane this week and one mroe day to go then I can work on it some this weekend hopefully! Got some choices for handle materials and would love some input.

1)The stabalized redwood in the precious pics
    It almost seems too nice for a camp chopper and raises the price of the project a decent bit (not sure what value a small camp word has to be honest) but it is pretty and is waterproof

2)Some nice mahogany I have been waiting to use.
    Its bot waterproof but I could always coat it with some sort of oil or gun stock coating

3)Black g10
    Can give it a clean no friils look and its very very durable and waterproof plus keeps the coast down since its not as expensive as say the redwood.

I worry about price points a lot because I want people to get their $'s worth and not make knives that are so expensive they wont be used. It is probably something I should get over as it holds me back on some materials and ideas. Anway let me know what yall think about the handle choices.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    i think wood would look great, but for it to be a good user with a long hard life ahead of it, the g10 it where its at. Id be worried about beating up a wooden handle in the woods. Not saying i wouldnt carry it, but id be pissed on the first big nick in it lol. I also like the look of the g10 on a big knife

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    What's the total price with the redwood and I'll tell you if I'll buy it (or the next one) off ya!!
    That stabalized redwood alone cost me 50$. Vs the mahogany and g10 are about a 15$ investment at most. The sheath wuill finalize my price. Got a few fun ideas here too. Leaning toward leather with maybe some sort of inlay.

i think wood would look great, but for it to be a good user with a long hard life ahead of it, the g10 it where its at. Id be worried about beating up a wooden handle in the woods. Not saying i wouldnt carry it, but id be pissed on the first big nick in it lol. I also like the look of the g10 on a big knife
    Thats how I feel exactly. I want to make the real nice looking handle but I did say function before looks. If it wasn't a camp sword I think the wood is where it's at.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sigh................................

I thought you said "big things on the beach" !

Thought it would be whales or boobietrons.........................

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Cleaning up the scale left from the heat treat and quench. Its been tempered and should be right where it needs to be for a good chopper. Won't know for sure till I get t test it after a handle is on tho

barely clean - (well clean like when my kids say they cleaned their room)

IMG_0639.jpg

A little better

IMG_0640.jpg

Getting close!

IMG_0641.jpg

I kind of want this knife/sword to have a finished yet tough look. I dont want to sand and polish it up too much cause it will take away from the rough look. Heh will see if I can pull the look off.

Top Bottom