Biking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Im kinda in the same boat. I could always throw it in the back of the jeep, but id rather not. I had a hitch mounted carrier but i lost it in the move. I need to get another one, or a spare tire mounted carrier.

I have a trailer hitch mounted bike rack on my SUV, and I'm one of those people who takes the straps off when there isn't a bike on the rack.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    When I had my explorer i had a really nice YAKIMA Rack and mounts for three bikes on the roof, and when I had my F-250 I had made some custom mounts that sat just behind the tool box that the front forks would clip into. Could transport 4 in the truck bed that way.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    When I had my explorer i had a really nice YAKIMA Rack and mounts for three bikes on the roof, and when I had my F-250 I had made some custom mounts that sat just behind the tool box that the front forks would clip into. Could transport 4 in the truck bed that way.

My dad has the front fork custom mounts on the toolbox for his truck. I think he can fit two.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I used to ride out there 3-4 times a week and even got into the races a few years back. But this was all while I was in college and still had the freedom to do that during daylight hours. Now I've got a couple of young kids and I find it much easier to ride the road bike when they're in bed.

The first time I ever rode was at Hooper when I was in high school. I probably didn't ride for a few years and when I discovered Comite, I rode that one pretty much exclusively. Everything there was polished and smooth like butter...super XC friendly. When I would ride Comite I would take the connection trail and do quick jaunts around Hooper until I found the more technical areas (Goat Trail, Hardtail Hell). At the point, I really came to enjoy Hooper more.

A tip for anyone looking to get into riding: Break-ins have been on the rise in the Comite trail parking lot (especially when not many people are there) and the Hooper Road Park parking lot is almost always a no-no. I started parking at the Dominos by the bridge over the creek and would just drop into the connection trail along the creek to make my way into either trail.

Also, for updates on group rides, races, safety and information on trail conditions, check out the forums on http://bramba.org/index.php

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I used to make fun of cops on bikes till I went through the training to do it. We learn everything from riding up and down several flights of stairs to fighting from/off of the bike and how to properly use the bike as a weapon. Plus that matched with riding 40-50 miles a day in full gear really opened my eyes.

holy crap thats awesome. I never woulda guessed.

But judging by what the motorcycle offices do at shows/events, I'm not all that surprised.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I know reading comprehension is difficult, so i'll go elementary.

Motorcycle officers do some amazing stuff - i've been riding for years and i'm impressed.

Why should their BICYCLE officers not be trained as well?

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    My apologies, from the way it was worded it seemed as if you were talking about motormen.

They recently had the international conference here in Baton Rouge and it was cool to see the different tactics from officers all over the globe.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yeah they are amazing. First time I saw it I was stunned. To anyone that hasn't seen what these guys can do, I'd suggest a cold drink and a youtube search. Its just incredible...

The bicycle officers (whats the lingo for those guys anyway?) have some good youtube vids as well.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I'm another has been. I want to get back to it though. Still have the bikes and gear. I used to race out there as well, we also had a group of us that went rode downtown on Thursday nights back when. I made some good riding buddies on those trails.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm another has been. I want to get back to it though. Still have the bikes and gear. I used to race out there as well, we also had a group of us that went rode downtown on Thursday nights back when. I made some good riding buddies on those trails.
    Well the best time to start again is the present! :) I will be going Saturday around 2:00 PM and Sunday around 11:00 AM. Saturday will be a fun easy-going day with a bunch of friends and Sunday we plan on pushing it and then doing the connection trail to the spider-infested (or so I hear) Hooper trails.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Well the best time to start again is the present! :) I will be going Saturday around 2:00 PM and Sunday around 11:00 AM. Saturday will be a fun easy-going day with a bunch of friends and Sunday we plan on pushing it and then doing the connection trail to the spider-infested (or so I hear) Hooper trails.

Spiders?

Nope. Nope. Nope.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Oh god. I've freaked out walking through spider webs in the morning or at night to take my dog out. I can't imagine suddenly just riding through a few of them.

I got goosebumps just thinking about it :run:
    Which is why I ensure I am never the first person on the trails :P If you are, expect to catch dozens of beautifully made webs. Seriously, some of them are very intricate.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Went out today and the trails were PERFECT! I took my girlfriend (terrible idea) and her little brother. He did great until the second fall when he bent his back wheel up like no other. She whined and moaned the whole time about how hard the trails were. I ended up letting her ride my bike, him ride her bike, and me ride his broken bike with a bent back wheel and the back breaks taken off. T'was certainly a fun experience.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I love all that outdoorsy stuff.

Did she know ahead of time that the trails would probably suck, there were bugs and she'd probably get sweaty and gross?

Top Bottom