Blue Angels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    The Blue Angels flight demonstration team just flew over my house headed towards Lake Charles, LA for their airshow this coming weekend. Yes, I and the family will be there on Sunday for that day's performance. Anyone else going this weekend?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sounds like a blast.
    My grand dad was a sea bee and was friends with one of the blue angels pilots from the 60’s. He had them autograph a picture of them flying in formation past lady Liberty, then framed it and gave it to me when I was a brat. It’s only 4 birds in the pic. I thought about it a few times as an adult and thought it was long lost but my mother had locked it away in the secretary long ago and gave it back to me not very long ago. I’ve seen them a couple times over the years, likely different pilots each time. I find their performances amazing.

Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Yes, I think if I remember correctly, the pilots only spend 2 years on the team. I first saw them when they were flying the A-4 Skyhawk and then a few years later flying the F-18 Hornet. I have seen both them and the Airforce Thunderbirds but in my opinion, the Blue Angels put on a better show by flying closer to each other and their routines that they fly.

Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Got back from the airshow about 4:30. Though the weather was a bit threatening at first, it turned out to be a good blue sky day. I forgot to put on sun screen until the last minute and got sun burnt on my lower arms. A good show in my opinion. The Mig 17 was awesome, the F22 Raptor was awesome, and of course the Blue Angels was awesome. The other performers were very good as well. I and the family had a great time.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    My uncle, Paul Ronald Hebert, was a Blue Angel in the '60s; when he died in the 80s, the BA actually flew over the funeral in Brusly, La. as a tribute to him....

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    That is really cool that they paid that tribute to him! Do you know what plane they flying then when he was a Blue Angel?

No I don't, I was a teenager; but I have an uncle only 7 years older than me, Ronalds brother, who probably has some documentation. Ronald retired as a Lt. Colonel from the USAF

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    No I don't, I was a teenager; but I have an uncle only 7 years older than me, Ronalds brother, who probably has some documentation. Ronald retired as a Lt. Colonel from the USAF

Dont go out of your way or put yourself in a bind over it but, if you could find out and post the info here in this thread, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    In the 1960's they flew the F-11 Tiger . 1968 they transitioned to the F-4 Phantom .

Thanks for that info, it is greatly appreciated! I do remember the show narrator naming the types of planes that they flew from the start to the present but I could not remeber what he said for that time frame.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Probably the F-11 Grumman Tiger. There is one on display at the entrance to the St John Parish airport. It is an original Blue Angles plane that made a belly landing at NAS NOLA. Rather than repair it it was put on display at the base entrance and later donated to the airport through the efforts of a local retired Navy pilot.

Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Figured I would include a pic of the Blue Angels and a pic of the F-22 Raptor.

Attachments

• 20210606_152917a.jpg
      20210606_152917a.jpg
      65.7 KB · Views: 44
    • 100_3445a.JPG
      100_3445a.JPG
      36.5 KB · Views: 61

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Blue Angels are great.

We used to go to Pensacola Beach or Perdido Beach at least once every summer. I would always go to the Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola Naval Air Station. When you enter the base from the west, the road goes right by the Blue Angels headquarters. It was always nice to see the jets when they were parked there. You could drive right up to almost the front door (pre-9/11).

Once I had my son with me when we went to the museum. I think he was 10 or 11 (30 now). On our way out from the museum, we decided to drive up to the fence to look at the jets, and take some pictures.

While we were there, a handful of Angels in the blue / yellow stripe flight suits came out of the building, and walked over to talk to us. After finding out what we were doing, one went back inside and came out with a handful of Blue Angel stuff for my son, including a hat. All of the pilots signed their autographs / slot number. It was an awesome day for us both.

By the way, the Airshow at Barksdale AFB (Bossier City) is great too. I haven’t been there in quite a few years, and keep intending to go back. They have the Thunderbirds one year and the Blue Angels the next.
    https://barksdaleafbairshow.com

Belle Chase Airshow is March 19-20, 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I have been to the Barksdale Air Force base airshow many years ago and it is indeed great! At the particular show I was at I got to see the Harrier demonstration which was neat!

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Love to see those birds fly in formation and their manurvers and the low level passes. My favorite is the "missing man " when one of the birds starts the climb skyward leaving the others on their level flight. Truly awesome. ............................................ drill sgt.

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    Back in the late 1980's when I was in the Corps we did a CAX at 29 Palms (Mohave desert). It lasted about a month and there was a Navy F-18 squadron supporting us, among others. When the CAX was over the CO of the Navy squadron put on a show for us in his F-18. Apparently he was a former Blue Angel. Wow what a show. He did some really cool stuff in that fighter. Low passes right over us, and maneuvers. Some straight up vertical stuff too. Made that plane dance and showed its raw power too.

Top Bottom