Boating DUI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't know this.
    I learn something new every year.

"Anyone cited for a DWI on the water or on the road will lose his or her driver's license and boating privileges for the specified time ordered by the judge in the case. Also, each offense of operating a vehicle or vessel while intoxicated counts toward the total number of DWI crimes whether they happened on the water or road."

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/38750

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have a friend who used to drive a school bus, until he got a DWI while boating.

It's the same thing as a driving DWI.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    That is why I like having friends that own a boat instead of me owning one...

Wildlife and Fisheries used to patrol on big holidays during the summer. "Pull you over" and check you out.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't agree with boating while drunk. Especially with the power and speed of boats available today. I just didn't know that, if you lost your driver's license for the privilege of operating an automobile, you weren't allowed to drive a boat. There is no license to drive a boat unless you count the boaters education card required of people born after a certain date.
    I guess I never thought of driving a vehicle and driving a boat as related activities.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    So if you don't have a drivers license you can't legally drive a boat? I knew there weren't official boat licenses to drive a boat. So your drivers license is your boaters license. Never knew.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I don't agree with boating while drunk. Especially with the power and speed of boats available today. I just didn't know that, if you lost your driver's license for the privilege of operating an automobile, you weren't allowed to drive a boat. There is no license to drive a boat unless you count the boaters education card required of people born after a certain date.
    I guess I never thought of driving a vehicle and driving a boat as related activities.

Case and point.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/search.php?searchid=581028

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Be sure to read A. (1) Or other means of Conveyance.

§98. Operating a vehicle while intoxicated

A.(1) The crime of operating a vehicle while intoxicated is the operating of any motor vehicle, aircraft, watercraft, vessel, or other means of conveyance when:

(a) The operator is under the influence of alcoholic beverages; or

(b) The operator's blood alcohol concentration is 0.08 percent or more by weight based on grams of alcohol per one hundred cubic centimeters of blood; or

(c) The operator is under the influence of any controlled dangerous substance listed in Schedule I, II, III, IV, or V as set forth in R.S. 40:964; or

(d)(i) The operator is under the influence of a combination of alcohol and one or more drugs which are not controlled dangerous substances and which are legally obtainable with or without a prescription.

(ii) It shall be an affirmative defense to any charge under this Subparagraph pursuant to this Section that the label on the container of the prescription drug or the manufacturer's package of the drug does not contain a warning against combining the medication with alcohol.

(e) The operator is under the influence of one or more drugs which are not controlled dangerous substances and which are legally obtainable with or without a prescription and the influence is caused by the operator knowingly consuming quantities of the drug or drugs which substantially exceed the dosage prescribed by the physician or the dosage recommended by the manufacturer of the drug.

(2) A valid driver's license shall not be an element of the offense, and the lack thereof shall not be a defense to a prosecution for operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    A.(1) The crime of operating a vehicle while intoxicated is the operating of any motor vehicle, aircraft, watercraft, vessel, or other means of conveyance when:

Riding lawnmower :dogkeke:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

Riding lawnmower :dogkeke:

I've definitely heard of people getting a DWI driving a lawnmower, but it's always been when they're on a road. I don't think I can remember a case when somebody was just in their yard. How's the law work on that one?

And yeah, we used to drink and drive on the boat when I was younger, but we lost a friend to an accident because of that. Never again. The water isn't a good place to be thrown into when you're intoxicated...

Top Bottom