BP Spill in pensacola

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Im here for the Blue Angels show this weekend.
    Got bored so I went down the Island to see what BP was doing..
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTQtMjAxMDA3MDYtMTQwM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTYtMjAxMDA3MDYtMTQzO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTctMjAxMDA3MDYtMTQ0M.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTUtMjAxMDA3MDYtMTQwN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTMtMjAxMDA3MDYtMTMzM.jpg

They are pretty much doing nothing except walking around every once in a while to pick up some tar balls.
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTAtMjAxMDA3MDQtMTk0M.jpg

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Saw similar things in Perdido Key this past weekend. They had crews out in front of most every condo there cleaning up the little bits of oil/tar balls. What was sad to see was that the tide had come in and took away a good chunk of the shore with it (like a 2.5 to 3 foot drop from the water edge to the water). You could see where oil was sandwiched in between layers of sand. I hope that was just oil pushed up against it and that's where it stuck.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Saw similar things in Perdido Key this past weekend. They had crews out in front of most every condo there cleaning up the little bits of oil/tar balls. What was sad to see was that the tide had come in and took away a good chunk of the shore with it (like a 2.5 to 3 foot drop from the water edge to the water). You could see where oil was sandwiched in between layers of sand. I hope that was just oil pushed up against it and that's where it stuck.

They are out there now.
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTktMjAxMDA3MDYtMjAxM.jpg

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Ride down 90 in MS and its the exact same thing. Looks identical to what I see everyday. Gulf Shores/Alabama too.

Also, the air traffic out here is insane on some days. I notice 3-5 times a damn this one particular C-130 anywhere from Biloxi to Gulfport, to Pass Christian, and even as far as Kiln, MS. I at first thought it may be just a normal flight from the base, but I'm beginning to assume its involved in the cleanup effort. Also seen a few CG C-130s flying real low. Along with that is also CG Choppers, news choppers, and some dark colored unmark'ds scanning the shorelines.

Last edited:

smboudreaux

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Addis, La
    i thought bp could have been doing a much better job until i had the task of taking a crew out for a 21 day hitch on a skimmer boat. i cant tell you how many ideas me and my buddies and i came up with that at the time seemed all to perfect only to get out there and see what its all about. this isnt nearly as easy as it seems. the media would like you to believe there is hundreds of square miles of nothing but oil. thats so not the case. we operated near the spill site and there where days we would ride around looking for oil. in only 2-3 foot seas the oil is very hard to see. sand is easy to clean. marsh is another story.

and about the guys just walkin around... tyvek esp yellow tyvek in south louisana summers is no joke. the heat index inside those suits routinely reach 130+. i buy and where this stuff all the time.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    I notice 3-5 times a damn this one particular C-130 anywhere from Biloxi to Gulfport, to Pass Christian, and even as far as Kiln, MS. I at first thought it may be just a normal flight from the base, but I'm beginning to assume its involved in the cleanup effort.

May be the dispersant plane. I think they are using a C-130 for that.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Boudreaux I know exactly what you're talking about, but there's nothing we can do to convince people otherwise. The national media is displaying it's ignorance by stomping it's feet and saying "FIX IT NOW", and staying oblivious how a well works, what takes place to drill a relief well, and the few things that currently can be done to clean the oil.

There is one entity, I will not say their name or location- but they are nearly slave drivers. For the longest while they had their crews doing 16hr shifts with little sleep and only fed them 2 times a day. Some crews would run out of water. Things are more organized and getting safer, but the conditions these workers saw for about 2 months was no joke. Fortunately the companies are running a lot smoother and the workers are getting the food, water, and rest that they need.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That is just.....awesome.

Did I miss something- like maybe Obama hiring Ray Nagin as Cleanup Czar to oversee BP's cleanup efforts.....?

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    May be the dispersant plane. I think they are using a C-130 for that.

I thought dispersant was being sprayed directly into the plumes? If a C130 is in fact the dispersant plane, this would be it. I've seen it several more times since I made that post, making its rounds into the gulf.

thats a perfect description

I swear it's like a child in a temper tantrum. **** happens, it sucks, but let's not act like two year olds right now. Save that for after, if at all. People do not realize the mass improvisation taking place along with the amount of spending going on to fix this. Not to mention it's badly undermanned. But what do I know, I'm only around it 80-90hrs per week.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    What is the chemical in Corexit ( dispersant )...I'm thinkin I read it was propolyne glycol, are saying that a C 130 might have been spraying that along the gulf coast ??

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I thought dispersant was being sprayed directly into the plumes? If a C130 is in fact the dispersant plane, this would be it. I've seen it several more times since I made that post, making its rounds into the gulf.

I swear it's like a child in a temper tantrum. **** happens, it sucks, but let's not act like two year olds right now. Save that for after, if at all. People do not realize the mass improvisation taking place along with the amount of spending going on to fix this. Not to mention it's badly undermanned. But what do I know, I'm only around it 80-90hrs per week.

Amazing...workin 80 - 90 hours a week and still time to be on the interweb re-assuring people not to worry, the gulf is full of carcenogenic toxins that cause everything from hair loss to manical oral dysentery.... , the marsh and beaches are being ruined a mile at a time....but it ain't all that bad, after all they are burning a lot of it and ruining the atmosphere as well.

Can ya tell I'm pretty pissed at the greed and insanity that caused this disaster and I ain't real forgiving on the ones who caused it.

BeePee needs to hire more , pay more, do what ever the hell it takes to make this go away, NOW, if you are screamin for any less ck your pulse and eyesight, you must not be seeing the tradgedy around you or you are dead to other peoples suffering

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Amazing...workin 80 - 90 hours a week and still time to be on the interweb re-assuring people not to worry, the gulf is full of carcenogenic toxins that cause everything from hair loss to manical oral dysentery.... , the marsh and beaches are being ruined a mile at a time....but it ain't all that bad, after all they are burning a lot of it and ruining the atmosphere as well.

Can ya tell I'm pretty pissed at the greed and insanity that caused this disaster and I ain't real forgiving on the ones who caused it.

BeePee needs to hire more , pay more, do what ever the hell it takes to make this go away, NOW, if you are screamin for any less ck your pulse and eyesight, you must not be seeing the tradgedy around you or you are dead to other peoples suffering
    Think you need to calm down a little. Saying people should go to jail because they aren't working fast enough about it? Really....
    When you got such great people walking around picking up tar balls.. they sit in recliners on the beach more than pick anything up, but that's the only people that would come to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom