Brace Rule Tax Forebearance Approval

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ddk85

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Near Albany La
    image-2019-07-13-08-43-27.gif

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Who said I'm bent out of shape or even mad about all this? Where did I say you were a sinner? Why does me cursing make me any worse or better then you?

Now you say you didn't see his apology? Why not have just said that in your first reply to me? Instead you ask me if I'm his dad... Ie.. Being a dck....

How does someone bring up church and Jesus but talk down on someone who made a mistake and then apologized for it?
    Are you done? By you going back and forth with me shows how you are bent out of shape with this…. It’s cool man. I’m not mad at you, nor am I judging you. Have a blessed day!

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Are you done? You are replying back to me.. So are you bent out of shape? It's just a conversation. No reason for anyone to be mad. You made smart ass comment and I asked you not to be a dck.

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    trust are not allowed for the free stamp

Trust are allowed, you just needed to have proof by Jan 31 that the trust had those items by having a schedule A that was notarized before the ruling posted.

I did that and now have 10 recently pending trying to get for free, although they have not approved any trust forbearances yet. I already have cans and already planned on SBRing these pistols one day but the braces and the 2k total price tag had me kicking the can down the road. I get some people are very anti taking the "bait" but IMO if you have NFA items already or planned to then to me this is a way for us to not have to pay the man. I am going to take my 2k savings and invest it in some ammo and/or guns. And WHEN the ruling gets overturned because its BS ill see what happens with the 200/stamp plays out.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Since these tax exempts ones ask for barrel length and overall length, does that mean you can't apply for one with just a lower? Also, are you able to swap different uppers on it?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    all free braces i have seen have been " conditionally approved" and from individuals no trust yet as you state... i wonder what the conditions are? maybe a fail safe if it doesnt pass you have to pay the tax stamp? havent seen alot of info on that subject....

and yea i didnt add pistols to my nfa trust before jan 31 when the ruling posted... they weren't nfa items before so to me i didnt want them on there, and i never read anything untill the rulling was posted about this whole clause situation for trust, the majority of it was in the dark till it was posted.... guess if i had a good notary that would back date a stamp :doh: i could have added

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    all free braces i have seen have been " conditionally approved" and from individuals no trust yet as you state... i wonder what the conditions are? maybe a fail safe if it doesnt pass you have to pay the tax stamp? havent seen alot of info on that subject....

and yea i didnt add pistols to my nfa trust before jan 31 when the ruling posted... they weren't nfa items before so to me i didnt want them on there, and i never read anything untill the rulling was posted about this whole clause situation for trust, the majority of it was in the dark till it was posted.... guess if i had a good notary that would back date a stamp :doh: i could have added
    I just lucked out and happen to be reading reddits r/nfa where they were talking about it needing to be in the trust and notarized before the ruling day, so I hurried up and added them. Then I sat back to wait and see some go through...still no trust but I don't want to wait too long in case so I submitted them last week. I have my sheets with dates and notarized but I didn't sign them...not sure if that will cause me grief, time will tell. I suspect the trust will take longer because they have to try to verify the schedule A, and trust typically take longer anyway I think.

I do think they put in the "condition" part as a backup if (when) the ruling gets tossed. I do think they will encounter a fair amount of resistance tho. You will have people who threw away or destroyed their braces who now either have to pay 200 to keep it as a sbr or pay 200 to get new braces. At the end of the day, in my case, since I already wanted to SBR them ill pay to keep them that way. I am hoping they just say you dont have too and take the L.

I also wouldn't be shocked if it was a ploy to get a "listing" of peoples guns that normally wouldn't have done any NFA stuff...so they can add that list to the other lists they "don't" keep. I am already on the list so idgaf.

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    Since these tax exempts ones ask for barrel length and overall length, does that mean you can't apply for one with just a lower? Also, are you able to swap different uppers on it?
    It has to be a built pistol (or bought complete) before the ruling date. It cant be a stripped lower that you plan to build. Now can they prove that, who knows but mine were all built so I'm not worried.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I just lucked out and happen to be reading reddits r/nfa where they were talking about it needing to be in the trust and notarized before the ruling day, so I hurried up and added them. Then I sat back to wait and see some go through...still no trust but I don't want to wait too long in case so I submitted them last week. I have my sheets with dates and notarized but I didn't sign them...not sure if that will cause me grief, time will tell. I suspect the trust will take longer because they have to try to verify the schedule A, and trust typically take longer anyway I think.

I do think they put in the "condition" part as a backup if (when) the ruling gets tossed. I do think they will encounter a fair amount of resistance tho. You will have people who threw away or destroyed their braces who now either have to pay 200 to keep it as a sbr or pay 200 to get new braces. At the end of the day, in my case, since I already wanted to SBR them ill pay to keep them that way. I am hoping they just say you dont have too and take the L.

I also wouldn't be shocked if it was a ploy to get a "listing" of peoples guns that normally wouldn't have done any NFA stuff...so they can add that list to the other lists they "don't" keep. I am already on the list so idgaf.

You turned them in without signing them? Why go through all of that work and submit them without signing them?

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    You turned them in without signing them? Why go through all of that work and submit them without signing them?
    Its just the assignment sheet I didn't sign and some have said they might need to be but it was a oversight on my part. When I saw I only had a couple days left I went too fast. I still don't know why signing the assignment sheet makes a difference if I have my full trust notarized by the same person including those pages with dates they were added. I don't sign every page of my trust and thats ok. I am going through silencer shops form 1 and they seem to think it will be ok. I am using them because they have all my stuff from suppressors already and I had a few credits from a few years ago when they tried to do the form 1 service.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    All SBR form-1s require a barrel length, caliber, and overall length. Yes. You can swap uppers if you like.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    All SBR form-1s require a barrel length, caliber, and overall length. Yes. You can swap uppers if you like.
    Ditto I agree with that, LOL, I submitted sbr’s paperwork in December and had a typo on overall length, to me was obvious easy fix they rejected it no questions asked had to resubmit was approved 33days later… that’s one perk to filing on paper they will give you 45 days to amend it or a mistake vs eform is either except it or rejected

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow, how did I missed this entertaining derailment? I need to pay better attention.

Well, I received the Brace Rule free Form-1 approval today. No Stamp. Conditional approval based on the "Rule".
    Submitted 1-15-2023 and approved 3-2-2023 with digital prints.

I am posting this at the risk of being called limp wristed, or a compliance Connie. Sorry if anyone is with someone named Connie, no disrespect.

I am not a fan of the ruling and do think it will be thrown out. I'm not caving to the "man" and I don't care what anyone thinks to start with. I would never have purchased a braced firearm but it was the only way the one I wanted was available. I would have removed the brace anyway. I was going to pay the $200 and file the form-1 on this particular firearm. So I decided to get involved with this little experiment with the "free stamp".

I did write to "ask the experts" to get their take on the conditional approval meaning. Like if the rule gets thrown out, does my approval go away or will I owe $200 at that point? I will follow up if they reply to my email. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I am in the same boat you are but I haven't gotten around to filling out the paperwork. I have a couple I've been thinking about SBR'ing for quite a while before this ruling came out. If I am willing to pay the gov't to play their NFA game, why wouldn't I do it at no cost to me?

Has anyone answered the question about what happens to the approval if the rule gets thrown out?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Man that’ll likely be a fustercluck of biblical proportions. Now I really hope that happens. No offense to anyone embroiled in the process, but dang. I can always use some comic relief in my life and this would be the $h:t.

I've been on the fence about sbr'ing a weapon. It has a brace. I have the opportunity to accomplish my goal without paying the $200. If the ruling is determined to be null, there's really 3 options I can think of:
    1. The approved sbr's stand - that gives me an sbr without having had to pay the tax
    2. The approvals are now void - that puts me in the same position I was in before an application was submitted
    3. Approved applicants are given the opportunity to pay the $200 tax to maintain the approval - that's the same as 2 but there should be no wait since the application had already been approved

None of the options I can think of puts someone in a worse position than they are now. I'm not sure how any of those would be a fustercluck but I guess it could be somehow. Are there any options you can think of that I may have missed?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I've been in the NFA game since 2008. Seen all sorts of silly things go on. I'm not afraid of them anymore.

I probably filed this one just to see what happens next. LOL

I started this thread because of the 16 page shitshow about braces. Somehow I knew this one would not let me down either.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've been on the fence about sbr'ing a weapon. It has a brace. I have the opportunity to accomplish my goal without paying the $200. If the ruling is determined to be null, there's really 3 options I can think of:
    1. The approved sbr's stand - that gives me an sbr without having had to pay the tax
    2. The approvals are now void - that puts me in the same position I was in before an application was submitted
    3. Approved applicants are given the opportunity to pay the $200 tax to maintain the approval - that's the same as 2 but there should be no wait since the application had already been approved

None of the options I can think of puts someone in a worse position than they are now. I'm not sure how any of those would be a fustercluck but I guess it could be somehow. Are there any options you can think of that I may have missed?
    Please don’t take my comment personally. Like I said, no offense to anyone embroiled in the process. My glee has zero to do with any gun owner being put in any bad position, I assure you. Rather, it’s the usual disdain I have for the powers that be and should not be. It’s just really nice to see them fall into their own $h:t on such a regular basis. Remember Fast and Furious? I had a woody for a week. The worse they screw up, the more I laugh. My gloating has nothing to do with gun owners, but everything to do with watching a government agency screw things up so bad that everyone shakes their head. I only hope it will force the hand that should have reined them in decades ago. It’s like watching a rotten kid showing off and wrecking his bike. I’m just sick like that.
    SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

Last edited:
    Top Bottom