Brand new AR build wont shoot a pattern

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Asking for a friend, seriously. A buddy of mine just finished building an AR with sentinel arms barrel and spikes billet upper/lower combo. The rifle feeds reliably but wont shoot a pattern. Bullet strikes are all over the map. We thought we fixed it because the barrel nut had slightly loosened up. Torqued it back down and it shot great, then the problem started again. We retightened the barrel nut, but due to lack of light we were unable to test fire it again. My question is, what in the world could be making the barrel nut loosen up, and/or make this "premium" part rifle shoot like and AK that's been run over by a tank?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've never had a barrel nut loosen when torqued to proper specs. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 ft lbs should keep that puppy tight. And a good rule, when torquing it down to line up a gap for the gas tube, make sure it lines up on the tighten stroke. Never back up (loosen) to align the holes. I always use aero grease and torque both steel and aluminum barrel nuts to spec and have never had issue, even when tearing one of mine down.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would say that the barrel nut is coming loose, because it wasn't properly installed. There are three possibilities with the pattern being all over the place, with one being the most probable: Bad Ammo, Bad Barrel, or Bad Shooter.

When you installed the barrel, did you properly seat the threads? As in, did you torque the barrel nut, loosen, torque again, loosen, and repeat? You should only need to do repeat 2-3 times to get the threads properly seated. Have you inspected the barrel? Is it key-holing or is the pattern everywhere?

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Ammo used was Winchester 55gr fmj and Federal AE 55gr fmj, I assume the barrel is a decent quality as it was upwards of the $200 mark, multiple shooters used the weapon with the same results all of whom were dead on the money with their personal weapons. The nut was properly seated using the technique you mentioned. We didn't have a torque wrench to know the exact ft/lbs but we put as much ass on it as a 250lb man could put.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    How does barrel loosen with gas tube in place?

torquing three times, to 80ft/lbs like the TM says?

Is the front sight or gas block properly fastened?

what type of for end is on the gun ?

Is the barrel extension properly fastened, did anyone mess with muzzle device?

Pics?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Not all hand guards use a standard barrel nut.

Is the barrel extension properly fastened

You should never mess with the barrel extension. If the barrel extension is loose, you should immediately send the barrel back to the manufacturer. If it's loose, it's on them (the manufacturer). Even if you are trained/qualified/have experience to do so, I would not recommend attempting to fix a problem from the manufacturer.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    I was only asking about the barrel extension because it has been showing up often recently.

reaction rods and muzzle devices

and melonite coating process seems to loosen them up

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was only asking about the barrel extension because it has been showing up often recently.

reaction rods and muzzle devices

and melonite coating process seems to loosen them up

I'd be willing to bet this is a barrel issue, as I have not heard much of Sentinel Arms, let alone found reviews on their products.

I would contact the manufacturer and state the problem in depth. See what they are willing to do about it.

OR

Take it back out to the range with some match ammo and shoot from a benchrest.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La

torquing three times, to 80ft/lbs like the TM says?

Is the front sight or gas block properly fastened?

what type of for end is on the gun ?

Is the barrel extension properly fastened, did anyone mess with muzzle device?

Pics?

Don't know about the ft/lbs but we put some sho nuff on tightening it down. No front sight, low profile gas block under a free float hand guard. The barrel extension seems to be fine. We really didn't check it. It's not loose if that's what your asking.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I have also read that if the muzzle device is over torqued it cause poor groups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That could be possible, but unlikely as it was put on just to the point of it being "tight". I'm not sure how to describe that. More than hand tight but not crazy tight

Top Bottom