Brand new AR build wont shoot a pattern

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aklZia62eq8

I am not impressed with this style at all.

Your supposed to use vibratite "glue" to hold the barrell nut in place.

That's what I was looking at. The barrel may be wobbling slightly.

It would be a lot of work, but put a standard nut on there and shoot it without a rail. If it still persists, then it's barrel. If not, it's the rail.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La

Are you saying the Odin Works should be trashed and replaced with that one or what? It's not my gun and he likes whats on there. The rail doesn't contact the barrel or gas block as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I was looking at. The barrel may be wobbling slightly.

It would be a lot of work, but put a standard nut on there and shoot it without a rail. If it still persists, then it's barrel. If not, it's the rail.

We used some hi temp anti seize instead of glue. I thought we should use my locktite or similar product, but it's not mine so I was over ridden.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

That's the stuff. It's way more than you will ever need, but some folks offer small samplings for cheap.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=aeroshell 33ms ar15

Aeroshell M33ms is Mil-Spec and IIRC, is recommended in the field manuals.

Last edited:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    we are all just spit balling here.

I believe that hand gard barrel nut design to be flawed. It relies on the glue , must have glue , as the gas tube cannot lock the barrell nut.

here is the real low cost test , remove the odin works stuff , put on just a regular barrel nut properly torqued w/ aeroshell , dont worry about any hand gaurd .
    http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Standard...=UTF8&qid=1458573950&sr=8-1&keywords=ar15+nut
    go test fire , bet everything works.

Alg makes top quality stuff for low prices, replace handgard after test.

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    Ammo used was Winchester 55gr fmj and Federal AE 55gr fmj, I assume the barrel is a decent quality as it was upwards of the $200 mark, multiple shooters used the weapon with the same results all of whom were dead on the money with their personal weapons. The nut was properly seated using the technique you mentioned. We didn't have a torque wrench to know the exact ft/lbs but we put as much ass on it as a 250lb man could put.
    you may want to look at everything real close for threads pulling ot small fractures. im 250lbs and I can out out way way more than 80 ft-lbs of torque.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    We used some hi temp anti seize instead of glue. I thought we should use my locktite or similar product, but it's not mine so I was over ridden.

THAT is the problem. Anti seize makes it slick, easy to come off, overcomes friction. Locktite holds it in place. Anti seize is like walking on a greasy floor and wondering why you slip. Clean off the anti seize and put something on it to make it hold, not to make it easy to remove.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    THAT is the problem. Anti seize makes it slick, easy to come off, overcomes friction. Locktite holds it in place. Anti seize is like walking on a greasy floor and wondering why you slip. Clean off the anti seize and put something on it to make it hold, not to make it easy to remove.

I am not a expert on the AR's but I am one on Anti seize we used it offshore on every thing that we would have to remove later as the saltwater would make any threads almost impossible to un-screw afterward.
    The above post is 100% right

Top Bottom