Brand New F150 Ecoboost Eats Three Engines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Warranties don't cover abuse.
    Or modifications/software changes. They have become pickier and more proficient at detecting these.
    FWIW the Ecoboost is a fairly new design. The big difference is with the placement of the fuel injector. It's called direct injection. The injector is mounted in the cylinder head and sprays directly into the combustion chamber. Fuel pressures can hit 3000psi. The intake pump delivers fuel to a mechanical pump which typically is camshaft lobed powered. Be very careful with engine lubes. Just to complicate things the wonderful ZBTs used in oil have to be eliminated for the catalytic converters to survive.
    I would give this relatively new technology some time to improve. It has some great benefits but do you want to be part of the test group. Not me.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I bought an F150 with the ecoboost, and love it. I test drove the 5.0 and ecoboost back to back and I don't see how they sell any 5.0 trucks. There is a huge difference in power between the 2.

It sounds like there is more to this story, this guy probably has a programmer or something he isn't being up front about.

Horsepower ain't where it's at. The ecoboost torque peak is at, like, 2k rpm where the 5.0 is at, like, 4k. (don't quote those, going off memory but it's alot higher up). That makes the ecoboost a ton better for pulling, Damn near as Good as diesel. If you're happy with your 5.0 for pulling you would be jumping for joy wearing tinkerbells on your toes with the ecoboost

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I was really looking at replacing my truck this year with a Ford f150 Ecoboost, but after reading that I have changed my mind.
    I realize that there are lemons with every manufacturer, but Ford should really try to make that right with the customer.

You'll let one bad review on the Internet affect your vehicle buying decision? Keep that view and you couldn't buy anything uou researched online. One jackass with a hurt ass and a computer can make a small issue seem like something serious on the Internet. Back away from the computer and go find real tests else you'll never find anything to buy.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I love my dodge..... That said.
    If I would have wanted to pay for the price of the ecoboost I would have went with ford. (Well probably a diesel lol)
    It is a good truck and pulls great. Definitely a difference between the 5.0 and itself. Paper doesn't do the difference justice.

My opinion on this, he is screwing with something the dealer can't pick up YET!

Waiting for them to void him out and say were done. then he moves in, to sue for a breach of contract/warranty

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Can't the dealer download some data from the truck's computer to see what's going on ?

Supposedly, Ford is sending an engineer to do that. I think once they have the ECU hooked up, the vehicle's driving history will be established.

I still think it was a separate component (ECU possibly) that wasn't replaced and just caused the same problem on all three engines, and the engine wasn't the problem.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You'll let one bad review on the Internet affect your vehicle buying decision? Keep that view and you couldn't buy anything uou researched online. One jackass with a hurt ass and a computer can make a small issue seem like something serious on the Internet. Back away from the computer and go find real tests else you'll never find anything to buy.

The site's Ford customer service representative has confirmed that all his customer service complaints are real. He's not complaining about the product and understands that these things happen. The way Ford is dragging feet and treating the customer is at issue here, imo.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Supposedly, Ford is sending an engineer to do that. I think once they have the ECU hooked up, the vehicle's driving history will be established.

I still think it was a separate component (ECU possibly) that wasn't replaced and just caused the same problem on all three engines, and the engine wasn't the problem.

I would have wondered this after the second one myself..

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Horsepower ain't where it's at. The ecoboost torque peak is at, like, 2k rpm where the 5.0 is at, like, 4k. (don't quote those, going off memory but it's alot higher up). That makes the ecoboost a ton better for pulling, Damn near as Good as diesel. If you're happy with your 5.0 for pulling you would be jumping for joy wearing tinkerbells on your toes with the ecoboost

I think you misread my comment. I love my Ecoboost. In my opinion the 5.0 feels way underpowered. Felt like it wouldn't get out if its own way.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Ive been abusing engines's my whole life, there is no way he windowed 3 new blocks without some outside help. Believe me Ford has looked at the data and knows exactly what the issue is. They don't want to pay for it nor have the bad publicity !! I would be willing to bet theres more to the story.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    SVT said it, torque is where its at...The ecoboost kills the 5.0 in the torque dept, that coupled with the right gear and yes, its gonna pull real good. To do an honest comparison between the two engines you gotta have the same body and same rear end gear. A 5.0 Supercrew with 3.31s is going to feel like a slug if you compare it to a supercab ecoboost with 3.73s...not a fair comparison. I don't tow that often and use my truck as a commuter more than anything so the 3.31 gear works good for me. Back to the subject at hand, it will be interesting to see how this turns out..I still think there is some abuse going on....

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Trust me they know if it has been software upgraded, they know if the boost has been raised, the ecu has a boost log in the history and would show exactly what the psi was right before boom no mo motor, I think something must be causeing it to go lean, and direct injection FSI systems have been out since 05 I think.

I thought the Eco boost was a good option.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    From a post on another forum, certainly feasible, especially if it's a known issue:

"From the NHTSA safercar.gov website for model year 2011 to 2013 F150:
    Ford has issued three technical service bulletins related to intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway cruise in humid or damp conditions in some MY 2011 and 2012 F150 vehicles equipped with 3.5L GTDI engines. The most recent bulletin, TSB 13-3-3, includes procedures for (1) diagnosing a condition related to moisture accumulation in the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) during extended highway cruising at constant throttle in humid or damp conditions; and (2) repairing the condition by reprogramming the powertrain control module with the latest calibration and installing a new CAC and air deflector plate. Approximately one-third of the reports received by ODI indicate that the incidents occurred while driving in humid or rainy conditions. Many complaints allege safety concerns associated with overtaking vehicles.

In my prior post, I viewed the complaints for the 2012 model year F150. At the time I looked, there were 204 total complaints, with 23 out of the last 25 complaints (92%) being about missing and stalling while accelerating on humid or wet days (normally under typical passing conditions).

I now went back and checked 2011 and 2013 model year F150 complaints. There are 202 complaints for the 2011 model year and 60 complaints for the 2013 mode year. For the last 25 2011 F150 complaints, 16 are about the acceleration problem (or 64%). For the last 25 2013 F150 complaints, 19 are about the acceleration problem (or 80%).

Overall, for the sample size of complaints I looked at, an average 78% of the total complaints to NHTSA on 2011 to 2013 F150's are about the acceleration problem.

So, in conclusion (again), I still believe Ghost's problem was an uncommon catastrophic engine failure during a relatively common acceleration problem on humid or wet days. Something that is in his truck (and that hasn't been replaced) is making a common problem into an engine failure problem.

ETA: Here is Ghost's first engine failure:
    I pulled out to pass a mini van and heard a loud pop. The truck immediately said no oil pressure. I coasted the truck to the shoulder and shut it off. Called roadside to pick the truck up. Had approx 37000 Kms on it."

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Rumor has it that he's lied about what happened to the truck a bit, like using an inline mod chip to skew certain inputs to the ECM.

Well. All great Internet stories come to an end. And ford just doesn't make that many crap things even if they do get a few wrong every now and then (and I am a diehard VW fan...)

After 3 freaking motors from different dealers, I'd start pointing fingers at user error. This guy is lucky he got so many motors if he modified it...

And if so, what a tard.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    "Well. All great Internet stories come to an end. And ford just doesn't make that many crap things even if they do get a few wrong every now and then (and I am a diehard VW fan...)

After 3 freaking motors from different dealers, I'd start pointing fingers at user error. This guy is lucky he got so many motors if he modified it...
    "

My thoughts exactly. This is what I've been saying all along in this thread.

And to answer other earlier comments, of course I understand tourque vs horsepower differences and how they apply to pulling power. My reason for opting a 5.0 instead of the EcoBoost is because I plan to drive this truck for 10-15 years. Having worked at a dealership in Parts and Service for such a long time, I am fully aware of the out of warranty repair costs of turbos. To be honest though, the new 5.0L is also a new, and as yet unproven engine. Time will tell. But as far as towing power and street performance, I have absolutely no complaints with the ability of the 5 liter. I've pulled a 5000lb trailer through the mountians with it and also, unloaded acceleration will push you back in the seat. If it's less than the EcoBoost, I don't really care. I wasn't looking for a bracket racer. Before I made the decision against the EcoBoost, I talked to friends of mine who are dealership technicians at two different Ford dealerships. All advised against the EcoBoost, given I wanted to drive the truck long term.

Top Bottom