Brass weight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Got my digital scale in and thought I'd try it out. Have a question about the weight of the brass. I'm loading 38sp and noticed that most of the brass weighed different so when trying to get my grains correct I had to weigh each brass and zero out the scale first then load the powder then weigh it again. Am I supposed to weigh until I get 4-5 good loads then just go from there and weigh every so often?
    Thanks!

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Weigh the powder ONLY, by its self, then pour it in the case.
    I think you should go by LA Guns &reloading and talk to those guys before you go to much further

Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Yes, trying to weigh powder and case and the same time. Put the brass on the scale, zero it out, lee auto disc measure with the lee charge bar for the powder, then back on the scale. But seems like there is a difference in the brass weight so have to zero the scale out every time. I don't really want to measure each time.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    One option is to use one case only for weighing.

I use a power funnel and pan or drop directly into the case. At first I tend to weigh every charge then as I begin to trust the drops I spot check weight less often. It depends on some variables. Some rounds you trickle every charge up to weight.

You need to have a plan on how to make sure you cant double charge or have no powder.

As a new guy I would go overboard on safety. You should always have a way to verify powder level if not weighing. Visual conformation???

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    You have a progressive or single stage?

For progressive have a funnel pan on the scale zero'd out and dump the charge you want to measure in the pan then after confirmation dump the pan back into the casing or hopper.

For single stage just setup the powder measure to dispense into the pan on the scale, then after confirmation of the charge dump into a cartridge.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Your hopper is actuated by the case moving up into the powder flaring die right? Just take the powder loaded case out and dump the charge onto a zeroed scale. Like request dust off said, once you are comfortable that you are getting a consistent throw, just check it every so often to make sure it is still on. I have the lee powder disk measure and once I ran a hopper or 2 through it, it doesn't change.

Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Thanks for answering. I guess until I'm really sure of the powder dropping I'll weigh each until I get comfortable. Even then, I'm no power shooter so I can take my time and make sure everything is ok. I don't need 150 rounds an hour.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Your brass cases will have a range of weight they will fall in. It is just like bullets. If you are trying to keep stuff the same, you probably should weigh out your brass and sort them. Additionally, each primer could have different weights as well.

As for figuring out powder drop weights this is what I do. I take one case and use it for all the drops. I take a pen and paper and record the weight of 100 drops and then compute the average. I then make adjustments from there. I use the Lee autodisk for my pistol loading with the adjustable charge bar over the disk. I see around a +/- 0.1 grain charge difference, but my average is right where I want my charge.

Last edited:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Weigh the powder ONLY, by its self, then pour it in the case.
    I think you should go by LA Guns &reloading and talk to those guys before you go to much further

Take this advice and stop what you are doing. The weight of the case has nothing to do with the correct powder charge. If you are basing your powder charge weight , including the weight of the case, you could be [ possibly ] dangerously under/over charging your cases.

Maybe I'm just not understanding on what I think your doing. If I'm wrong, then ignore my comment. Reloading is not complicated, but their are certain safety measures you must adhere to. Sounds like you are complicating it by weighing cases, and confusing yourself on powder charge weights.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom