Browning bps issues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    I purchased a new browning bps about a month ago and every time i go shoot it i have issues with it. Sometimes it ejects the shot shell and another shell out of the magazine tube, but this rarely happens. What it does most often is it shoots and ejects the spent shell but it does not always put another shell into the chamber so when i go to pull the trigger for the second time all i get is a click. It is also hard to get the shells out of the tube with the button because sometimes they get caught and dont want to come out of the tube. Has anyone ever had these problems, and could i send my gun back to browning to get it fixed after duck season since it is an almost new gun that has had these issues from the beginning. Just as a reference i have shot about 50 shells through it. Thanks for any help.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks, and im in the New Orleans area. I am going to try some other brands of shells first, but if that dosent work then ill have to send it somewhere to get fixed because it has cost me several ducks, which I am noy happy about.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    LSP,
    I think the action is the same as (or similar to) the Itaca 37. Loads and ejects from bottom. I think High Standard had similar model

You Who,
    Short stoking will not help the issue. My first suggestion is make sure you are pumping fully. I have a BPS. Never Malfed on any loads.

Plus the gun has a mag tube cut off, so that could be causing an issue.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Ah so. Didn't know that. Which just reinforces my diagnosis... if the shell latches on that type of action aren't timing exactly, it ain't gonna feed or eject properly.

No brownie points for knowing High Standard made something similar? Times is hard.

The point at which the shell lifters (Term??) need to go all the way down and shell latch lets shell out of mag is the last 1/4" of pump travel. So anything less than a full pump maybe be a deal breaker on reliable functioning.

Top Bottom