Building my own range follow along

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I'm sure most of us have always wanted our own range at some point. Earlier this year I bought a house that has 12 acres attached. 9 of the acres were completely wooded with over 3-4 miles before a road or house behind it. It is a hunting camp so its likely to stay that way. I did have to agree to renovate the house to get my wife to agree to purchase the house but that is done enough that I finally get to work on the range. This thread is probably more for me to have a place to keep up with progress pics.

I'm a 95% pistol shooter (USPSA etc) and the rifles I shoot are mostly pistol caliber or rimfire. My plan is for a 30 yard pistol range with a 24 ft wide berm 8 ft high. And then a very small berm at 100 yards to shoot some rifles for grouping or sighting in. But I still prefer to shoot my AR's at multiple targets at 25 yards when I go to a range anyway. The option is always there to build up the 100 yard range years from now if I really decide I want it.

So I began clearing about 3 weeks ago. This was fairly heavily wooded area. I decided on a location about 300 yards into the woods to buffer some noise for the neighbors. They have assured me that they have no issue with it being close to them but why take the chance?

The first step is to clear a road into the range area to be able to get equipment and my truck back there. It will be a dirt road so if its semi wet I won't be driving but how can I complain.
    This was the first day.

I got about 100 yards cleared by hand. Axe, weedeater, machete. I'm trying to avoid as many big trees as possible.

This is looking back on day two. You can see my truck in the distance.

I ran into this guy on day three. Do not hit a snake with a weedeater contrary to what I've heard people say. It will throw the snake in god knows what direction. 870 to the rescue and he is gone.

This is a panorama of the range area. Just trees etc.

I finally got some help last weekend to cut down trees that were over 3" in diameter that I didn't want chop down. Big help from Geaux Shooting on the chainsaw and some help from two friends to roughly clear and cut down all the trees in the range area. So far I have a 35 yards by 25 yard area cleared out. I'm still working on the turn around at the range area so I don't have to turn around like Austin Powers.

Next up is to hire a guy with a bushhog to really clear the brush out and then spray the hell out of the area with a herbicide to keep it clear until I'm ready to build the berm. This is going to be a slow project as I don't have heavy equipment available and I was shocked at some prices I was quoted.

Anyway, I'll post up new pictures if nothing else than to have a diary of the build. I'm sure I will be great at showing people what not to do.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sounds like a super fun project there! Are you going to put gravel down on the road? Seems like it would make life a little easier for ya.

Bowman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Congrats on the range, So far so good it seems.

I live in Satsuma and have a home range myself. Goes out to a little over 100 yards. I have rails with loose Small Bore silhouette animals and racks of resettable small bore silhouettes. Along with paper and air gun swingers etc. Nothing like being able to walk right outside and unload some ammo. Most just target practice for comps and fun but I burn up a 30 rounds AR mag now and then just for fun to vent.

Wish I had more people to shoot with in my area neighborhood. I tried to invite the neighbor but he saw me shooting all offhand and didn't even want to try, said no way he could hit those little targets lol. Sure won't if you don't try!

Bo

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Tractor guy is coming tomorrow to clear the rest of the range area. All the trees are cut down. He's going to be pushing big stuff out the way with his bucket and bushhogging everything else. The brush ended up beating me. Too much poison ivy and stickers.

I'll post updated pics when he finishes. Then the backstop begins.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    What do you have planned for the berm?

I'm debating on two options. I've decided to have a 30' wide berm so I can have at least some movement. I want some sort of support as the amount of dirt needed for an unsupported dirt berm is just huge. One is railroad ties. They are fairly cheap and I can build a back wall and two side walls and then fill the front with dirt. The other is 4x4 posts with horizontal PT 2x12's which I have a ton of and filling the front with dirt. I need around 60 yards so it will be a lot of dirt moving.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Well I had to do a little more clearing before the tractor could do his work. Had some great help today clearing some fairly large trees and getting them cut up in tractor manageable pieces.

Tractor is supposed to be out tomorrow depending on weather.

Here is an action shot of one of the big ones coming down.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Big progress today. Hired a tractor to push all the logs and debris out as well as bushhog everything. It took him about 2.5 hours today but would have been a month of weekends for me.

I didn't take a final pic because the light was fading. Next up is digging holes for the supports for the wall that will hold the back side of the berm. Hope to have the berm built within 3 weeks.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Tractor was out last night and we worked in the dark. Got all the holes dug. If you ever have a fence going in I recommend hiring a tractor to do it. Not much more than an auger to rent and so much easier.

I put in the posts today. 4x6's with 80 lbs of concrete each. They are spaced at 6 feet as most of my 2x12's that are going across are 6 to 7.5 feet long. And I figured the extra posts wouldn't hurt supporting the dirt. I plan to brace it from behind as well with both cut down trees and more PT lumber. And the only reason I chose 2x12's for the wall is because they are strong and free.

Hope to get the wall built next weekend at the latest and then the dirt can arrive.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am slightly confused...are you using the fence to support the berm? How will the boards be positioned across. Well It look like an actual fence when done?

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Not fence boards. 2x12's layed horizontally as the back support of the berm. It will allow me to build it up much higher with less dirt and erosion issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom