Bulk .22LR vs. "Match Grade" .22LR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    I agree Henry. We use the Wolf "Match Target" for the Saturday morning rimfire matches at Nick's. At 50 yards, shooting at ARA targets with a 3/8" bullseye, quality ammo is a must.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    As an Oh By The Way.

Shot some groups with a Taurus 94 revolver in .22LR. Used mostly various models from Aguila. Groups ranged from 0.748" to 1.379". Iron sights at 25'. If I can find something that will shoot a half inch group it will be a happy day.

Wolf Match Target is the same as SK Standard Plus. Same ammo from the same machines. Wolf Match Extra is the same as SK Rifle Match. Good to know when one or the other is out of stock.

Don't overclean your .22. Tip I got from a rimfire benchrest guy was to run one wet then two dry patches if you must clean the barrel. No need to ever run a borebrush down the barrel. Every thousand rounds or so clean the chamber only with three strokes of a bore brush. [monty_python]Three shall be the number. Two shall not be the number unless followed by three. Four is too much and five is out of the question. The number shall be three.[/monty_python] Some ammo like Eley have a lube that takes as many as 20 shots to lay down through the barrel. Once the barrel is seasoned it's amazing to watch the groups shrink. Do keep the breechface and bolt clean. Aids in keeping the correct headspace and also helps keeping extraction issues to a minimum.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    This is a very interesting thread as I like to shot rimfire alot. I have 2 Marlin mod 60's and a Ruger 10/22, one of the Marlins is a 76 model while the other in a 99 model. Both have a similar taste in ammo and perform rather will. The 76 models groups aren't as tight as the 99, but still do well all things considered. I take it the micro groove barrel they use keeps them somewhat consistent in their performance, but no real proof of that, just speculating. The 10/22 doesn't shoot as tight a group as the Marlins or I haven't found a ammo it likes yet, but I don't shoot it much, it's the wifes rifle and I shoot the newer Marlin. I mainly use the Federal 550 rd value pack since it performs good thru the Marlins. I once tried to compare a bunch of different brands of ammo for them, all it really did is get me confused, no real clear cut winners/losers as far as accuracy. I found that the function of the rifle wasn't dependent on the ammo, but more the proper lubrication of the rifle. I picked that up from rimfire central forum. Graphite works better than oil in a .22lr, so I use a pencil to lube the feed ramps and slide on the Marlins.

Bam Bam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom