bullet casting flux?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've been casting for thirty years now, and have used a bunch of different fluxes over that time. Parrifin, like used in canning food, works as well for me as anything...you can get a lifetime supply for a few dollars at WalMart.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Paraffin is used by many but there are better fluxes to use. Just about any carbon based item will work. I used wax for several years till I learned of a better flux. Paraffin is actually a reductant, not a true flux.

I use sawdust, preferrably hardwood, but softwoods will work also. Don't use plywood sawdust because of the glues involved. Put a large pinch of the sawdust on top of the melt once it gets up to casting temp. Let the sawdust turn black, then stir into the molten lead. It is also a good idea to stir with a piece of wood, perhaps a paint stirrer. The oxides and impurities in the melt will bond to the charred wood and float to the top to be skimmed. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the pot well with the stirring stick. You can also used crushed charcoal as a flux, not the matchlight charcoal. If you decide to use wood, be sure it is dry. You do not want to introduce any moisture into molten lead. I started using sawdust early last year and have found it to be far superior to paraffin.

rfg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    independence,la
    sawdust? i would have never thought of that, that's why i ask people that know. that is really ironic as i'm a woodworker i have plenty of it.
    would fine sawdust (table saw) be better or small curl shavings ( jointer shavings)?
    thanks,
    richard

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    another sawdust proponent here, also use a hardwood stick to stir. The type of wood I dont think matters, not even plywood, but I would be leary of anything with treated wood sawdust.
    Make sure you are casting outside in a well ventilated area, I even set up a small personal fan to blow away the smoke without cooling things off too much.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I toss in some wood shavings first, pine, cedar, basswood..it doesn't matter . then add some melted beeswax, just a little ( parrafin is good also ). Some pet beddings are wood shavings if you don't have any. I use both wood and wax because each does a seperate job in fluxing. For years I only used beeswax, but have discovered the carbon in the wood shavings helps do a proper job of mixing the metals and seperating out the impurities without a lot of smokey waxy fumes that would catch on fire at times.
    Gary

Top Bottom