Buyers Beware

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    i recently (within the past week) bought a Glock 19 from Hebert Guns in Ascension Parish and although everything went down without a hitch i still have a complaint about them, when they went to run the background check, i got delayed, the salesman said i could go ahead and pay for the gun ahead of time, i was okay with that because id rather get that out the way, after i swiped my card and paid, he then filled me in about the stipulations about paying early, if i were to change my mind, they keep 25% of the price as a non-refundable fee........and if for some reason i were to get denied there is still a $25 restocking fee, my only complaint is that i was informed only after i paid for the gun, so anyone in the same situation, beware because that might be a little more offensive to you than it was to me

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Ive seen alot of dealers do this. While he should have said something ahead of time, Its not just them. I always get delayed for what ever reason. And I always pay upfront. Makes it easier to pick up when it is approved.

GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    exactly but i just hate when people disclose important information after the fact, this is the first time ive had this issue because this is the first time i got delayed, normally it goes straight through, and its nothing against Herbert Guns, just against the concept

GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with the concept. With all the bashing here I just wanted to note that alot of dealers do this. Hopefully he just forgot to give his pitch before the transaction.

yeah luckily i dont mind making excuses for people to make them not look as bad, so i agree, lets go with he forgot :bigok:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    exactly but i just hate when people disclose important information after the fact, this is the first time ive had this issue because this is the first time i got delayed, normally it goes straight through, and its nothing against Herbert Guns, just against the concept

I would be more concerned with why all of a sudden, I were delayed if I never were before!?!

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah that policy sucks.

I was going to order something from them and luckily I found out ahead of time. They couldn't guarantee a delivery date, telling me it could potentially be indefinite, and if I canceled I would have to pay a fee unless their supplier actually told them they couldn't fill the order. No thanks.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have heard of delays due to recent applications for TWIC. For some reason the BC for the TWIC raises flags that cause a delay.

TinM@n

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah you have to watch dealing with guys in the gun/ammo business around the BR area. There certainly are a bunch of scammers and posers. Take your money, no product. Tisk tisk, after the "panic" these guys just want to pretend to be businessmen and eat away at what would have been life long clientele.

I hope you get your gun, some people aren't as even that fortunate!

GlockVS1991

QuikDraw
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    heres a general question about buying guns, does anyone thing time of day matters? when i applied for the gun it was about 6:55 at night and hebert guns closes at 7:00, any thought on if the FBI back ground checks are more likely to delay you if its later in the day?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    heres a general question about buying guns, does anyone thing time of day matters? when i applied for the gun it was about 6:55 at night and hebert guns closes at 7:00, any thought on if the FBI back ground checks are more likely to delay you if its later in the day?

I have seen guns transfers and the calls made between 9-11 pm, after a NRA banquet. So 6:55 should be a non issue, unless the store guy needs to go. Sometimes you have to be somewhere else.

I have been delayed twice in a row and my dad was not, it so happened we were getting guns at the same time and place. So his went quick and mine took 45-60 minutes longer. Next time I make sure I go 2 hours before closing and no delay whatsoever. No clue as to why.

While I can understand the policy (to some degree) the clerk should be upfront about it.

Last edited:

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    In my experience, it is common for a dealer to have a $20-$35 charge if they run a 4473 and you get denied or decide not to purchase a firearm. You are wasting their time so why should they not? That being said, it should be disclosed when they are explaining the form.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I like the online background check that Cabela's uses. I purchased four guns from them from Thanksgiving to mid February. On the busiest night I was handed an Ipad to fill out the info. Took about three minutes and I was approved, paid and out the door in under 30 minutes. This was at Christmas time.

I don't know why any shop still uses a paper form and have to tie up an employee to call it in. Is the online system too expensive for a small store? Academy still uses to paper method. Hard to believe.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I like the online background check that Cabela's uses. I purchased four guns from them from Thanksgiving to mid February. On the busiest night I was handed an Ipad to fill out the info. Took about three minutes and I was approved, paid and out the door in under 30 minutes. This was at Christmas time.

I don't know why any shop still uses a paper form and have to tie up an employee to call it in. Is the online system too expensive for a small store? Academy still uses to paper method. Hard to believe.

Clipboard is cheaper than an Ipad...

Top Bottom