Buying a used vehicle with pics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My wire and I are looking at a used '13 Explorer at a dealers lot. To be honest it's been a long time since I've bought a vehicle.
    My previous 4 have been company vehicles and her current was an Expedition bought from a family member.

Their list price seems to fall within other comparable ranges I'll see today what they offer us for our Expedition.

Is a Carfax necessary, what info do they generally contain.

The Explorer is at a large reputable dealer. It has 30,000 miles and the sales man has mentioned an extended warranty. Depending on cost are they worth it to 60,000 or 100,000 miles.

Anything in particular I should inquire about?

Thanks

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Extended warranties on used vehicles are either cheap or good, never both. I personally wouldn't buy one unless it is a reputable warranty for a good price- dealers make a ton of $$ on selling warranties, the markup is huge.
    Carfax isn't bad but isn't really good either. If it shows something, good to know. Just because it shows nothing doenst mean nothing has ever happened, not even close.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    FYI the dealership will provide a carfax if you ask for it. I'd personally skip the aftermarket warranty, the markup is tremendous and newer vehicles don't require too many major repairs sub 150k or so. Do the math on it- if its 30.00 a month and at 61,000 miles your XY breaks, it'll cover it. You paid every month for peace of mind, and didn't use it but once, 3 years later, to find out that the part is only partially covered anyway. Its a scam imo.

Don't forget that powertrain etc (the big stuff) is probably covered by manufacturer until 5/60k anyway.

Good luck- enjoy the new ride.

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Definitely skip the warranty from the dealer. The original factory warranty is transferable and should cover till at least 60k miles on the drivetrain. Maybe check the vin with Ford and see if the previous owner purchased an extended warranty through them (which is also transferable). However, fyi, if there is any hesitation or cost associated with a carfax you ask for just walk away. Also, they are going to try and sneak in several types of charges in the purchase you won't see until you are signing papers (like a dealers fee, etc). Have those removed as they are just pure profit for them and do add up. Good luck.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    I normally don't get extended warranties on anything, but after looking over the one offered for my new used Mustang I decided to get it. The main thing I liked was that it was zero deductable and completely refundable pro-rated. It was an extra $25/mo on a 5 year loan. If I sell the car I go see them for a refund on the remainder of the warranty either applied towards pay-off or a check if I already have the title. If I decide I want to throw a supercharger on and void any/all engine warranty, I can get a refund.

I paid a bit more than I could have, but got good financing, good trade value, and no downpayment. Look over their numbers, there are accounting tricks they can play to make more money. As my dad has told me a few times when he found out I was car shopping, "All you can really do is just try not get screwed too badly."

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    It's going in my favor so far.
    We got the best trade offer on our Expedition so far (visiting) 3 dealers. Gonna make a decent down payment and finance remainder for 36 months max possibly 24.
    Waiting to talk with finance.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I took one with my truck, just because I was afraid beings the truck had the 5.4. Now the warranty is almost up, I wish I would have kept my 3 grand :(

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I took one with my truck, just because I was afraid beings the truck had the 5.4. Now the warranty is almost up, I wish I would have kept my 3 grand :(

$3,000 for an extended warranty?
    I know it's been 10 years ago, but when I was selling cars most extended warranties I saw cost the dealer $650-$1,000.

Most dealers make more on the back end (rate mark up, warranty, Gap, etc) than on the front end (selling the car).
    But as a salesman, we only got paid on the front end. The finance manager gets PAID on back end sales.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Got it.
    Explorer Limited
    Black/Black leather
    4 captains chairs
    Dual sun/moon roofs
    Navigation
    We found the original sticker and it listed for $45,656

2013 30,000 miles
    $29,000
    Gave $7000 for our Expedition
    I declined the warranty, they wanted $2000 for another 36 months or up to 100,000 miles.
    I added cash down and financed the remainder for 36 months.
    It will be paid off sooner because I told my wife we saved enough money for me to buy an old Bronco and she said as soon as we pay off the note.
    I'll try to put up a couple pics tomorrow.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    A couple pics

89ef951c50f5b569850501caa1c7dd2e.jpg

4532befbe56a76bce8a8b695e29106dd.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads