Buying used ATV?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question or not, but since I suspect many of you have dealt with this issue, here goes:

I am getting ready to buy a used ATV for use on the family farm, and am wondering about the legal process, I know the Louisiana DMV web page says tittle and registration must be paid on all ATV's not used solely for agricultural purposes, but they don't explain this: Which leaves several questions

1, Since I am buying for use on the family farm, I assume I only need to get the tittle transfered and not registered?

2, Can I also optionally get it registered in case of unexpected future uses off the farm?

3, Does it require proof of liabilty insurance to register? Does this apply for farm use?

4, Does the bill of sale have to be notarized like transfering a car tittle, or will a plain bill of sale work? I know the local DMV is picky about that one on cars, trailers, etc.

thanks Ike

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I know you must have a sticker if you plan on using it on Federal land. I didn't have to prove liability insurance to register 2 years ago. Its almost silly not to carry full coverage though. I paid like 38.00 a year for mine. 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I know you must have a sticker if you plan on using it on Federal land. I didn't have to prove liability insurance to register 2 years ago. Its almost silly not to carry full coverage though. I paid like 38.00 a year for mine. 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I just bought a used one from a dealer who did all the registration as part of the deal. I got an index card sized sticker in the mail with the reg number on it that says it must be prominently displayed, and papers that have to be kept with the vehicle just like a car. I didn't have to show proof of insurance but I called my agent and had him pick it up when I got home. Just makes sense for liability reasons and it is cheap. The notarized bill of sale was required for the registration.

I have heard stories of WLF agents wanting to see the registration but don't know how prevalent that is... I would imagine it has more to do with how much of a nuisance they think you are or they want to be like anything else. On federal lands I would expect it since they act like they don't want you there in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom