C.C. at Harah's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I run a bar downtown... Just went through the states security class... No one except on duty officers can carry in a bar. Restaurants are different... As I said above... You can carry in a restaurant, HOWEVER, if they have a specific area with a bar, you can't carry in that area.

Like I mentioned above... Applebee's as an example. They have hi top tables in an area around the bar in the center of the restaurant. Minors can sit at the hi tops, but not at the bar. You can use that as your boundary. You can not carry in the "bar area".

WEAPONS/FIREARMS: Provides relative to the possession of firearms by concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers in certain alcoholic beverage establishments.

"Certain" establishments. NOT in bars. Then again, BARcadia is a restaurant... Lucy's is a restaurant... They are not operating under a bar license like say Vic's is. Even all new restaurants opening... Like ooh la la... A pizza joint with 300 beers on tap... Not a bar... A restaurant.

They're actually breaking the law.

Just remember too... Any establishment can make their own call and ask you to leave as well no matter what the house bill says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. Tell that person that taught you that class to brush up on La law.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I run a bar downtown... Just went through the states security class... No one except on duty officers can carry in a bar. Restaurants are different... As I said above... You can carry in a restaurant, HOWEVER, if they have a specific area with a bar, you can't carry in that area.

Like I mentioned above... Applebee's as an example. They have hi top tables in an area around the bar in the center of the restaurant. Minors can sit at the hi tops, but not at the bar. You can use that as your boundary. You can not carry in the "bar area".

WEAPONS/FIREARMS: Provides relative to the possession of firearms by concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers in certain alcoholic beverage establishments.

"Certain" establishments. NOT in bars. Then again, BARcadia is a restaurant... Lucy's is a restaurant... They are not operating under a bar license like say Vic's is. Even all new restaurants opening... Like ooh la la... A pizza joint with 300 beers on tap... Not a bar... A restaurant.

They're actually breaking the law.

Just remember too... Any establishment can make their own call and ask you to leave as well no matter what the house bill says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. Thank you for playing.

arg. didnt read the whole thread. Sorry Charlie- consider this a followup :)

Last edited:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    HB72 ALLOWS off duty and retired leo to carry anywhere alcohol is sold.
    WEAPONS/FIREARMS: Provides relative to the possession of firearms by concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers in certain alcoholic beverage establishments

I was under the impression it was not "any", but certain. The intent was to "clarify" and specifically stipulate that CHP holders and off-duty LEO may carry in restaurants. If it has a Class A general retail permit, you still cannot carry (that would be a bar)

Is that correct?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    WEAPONS/FIREARMS: Provides relative to the possession of firearms by concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers in certain alcoholic beverage establishments

I was under the impression it was not "any", but certain. The intent was to "clarify" and specifically stipulate that CHP holders and off-duty LEO may carry in restaurants. If it has a Class A general retail permit, you still cannot carry (that would be a bar)

Is that correct?

Correct.

If anyone else wishes to break the law, that's your decision. Just don't do it in my bar.
    If it has a Class A general retail permit, you still cannot carry (that would be a bar)
    This is an accurate statement.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Correct.

If anyone else wishes to break the law, that's your decision. Just don't do it in my bar.
    This is an accurate statement.

Effective August 1, you are 100% incorrect on just about everything posted above.

Yes, ccw holders can carry into a restaurant with a bar.
    Yes, ccw holders can sit at the bar or in the bar area.
    Yes, off duty leo can ccw to a Class A. (Though some agencies still have policies against it, it is not illegal)

HB 72 Act No. 147

Existing law provides that no person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the
    premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

Existing law defines "alcoholic beverage outlet" as any commercial establishment in which
    alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for
    consumption on the premises, and whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental
    purpose of the business of the establishment.

Existing law provides an exception for the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet
    or an employee of such owner or lessee.

Prior law provided an exception for a law enforcement officer or other person vested with
    law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

New law removes the condition that the law enforcement officer must be acting in the
    performance of his official duties.

New law further provides an exception for certain retired and auxiliary law enforcement
    officers and certain persons including judges and district attorneys.

New law provides an exception for persons or law enforcement officers possessing a firearm
    in accordance with a concealed handgun permit on the premises of an alcoholic beverage
    outlet which has been issued a Class A-Restaurant permit.

Provides that new law shall not be construed to limit the ability of a sheriff or chief law
    enforcement officer from establishing policies within his department or office regarding the
    carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet by any law
    enforcement officer under his authority.
    Effective August 1, 2014.
    (Amends R.S. 14:95.5(C))

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Thus making this statement:

...False.

Minors can sit at the hi tops, but not at the bar. You can use that as your boundary. You can not carry in the "bar area".

false as well

and therefore, it would be ILLEGAL for you to carry inside as it would be in any bar. Which also covers "BAR AREAS" in restaurants... for instance, if you are at Applebee's... and seated at a table, you're good... but seated in the bar area... no good.

false as well

The ONLY people permitted to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol are ON DUTY LAW ENFORCEMENT during the performance of official duties. Body guards, private security, off duty officers, etc. are NOT (not including the owner or lessee).

false as well

True. but nothing illegal either way, its just private property rights.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Effective August 1, you are 100% incorrect on just about everything posted above.

Yes, ccw holders cant sit at the bar or in the bar area.
    Yes, off duty leo can ccw to a Class A. (Though some agencies still have policies against it, it is not illegal)

HB 72 Act No. 147

Existing law provides that no person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the

Existing law defines "alcoholic beverage outlet" as any commercial establishment in which
    alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for
    consumption on the premises, and whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental

Existing law provides an exception for the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet

Prior law provided an exception for a law enforcement officer or other person vested with

New law removes the condition that the law enforcement officer must be acting in the

New law further provides an exception for certain retired and auxiliary law enforcement

New law provides an exception for persons or law enforcement officers possessing a firearm
    in accordance with a concealed handgun permit on the premises of an alcoholic beverage

Provides that new law shall not be construed to limit the ability of a sheriff or chief law
    enforcement officer from establishing policies within his department or office regarding the
    carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet by any law

Okay well you got me. August 1st a lot of new changes were made apparently that I need to read up on. I just talked to a buddy LEO and called an attorney friend of mine and confirmed their take on the bill as well. I have no intentions on denying concealed carry holders... but they said they would have to check on it being a bar as the bill says "Certain Restaurants". I just want to be within the guidelines of the law. Thanks for the info.

I can admit when I'm wrong.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Okay well you got me. August 1st a lot of new changes were made apparently that I need to read up on. I just talked to a buddy LEO and called an attorney friend of mine and confirmed their take on the bill as well. I have no intentions on denying concealed carry holders... but they said they would have to check on it being a bar as the bill says "Certain Restaurants". I just want to be within the guidelines of the law. Thanks for the info.

I can admit when I'm wrong.

For sure man. Aug 1 was a big change- I talk to a few people a day that are familiar with the "old law" regulations as well.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

Yes, ccw holders cant sit at the bar or in the bar area.

HB 72 Act No. 147

COuld you please provide a link where that point is specifically stated in law? Thanks

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

No where in the link you googled for me (nor any I was able to Google for myself) does it specifically state, or even infer as best I can tell) you can "Yes, ccw holders cant sit at the bar or in the bar area."

I would think the same "Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment" contained in the CHP law would still apply. I was under the understanding that the "new law" simply specifically stated that CHP holders could carry in a restaurant.

So unless you have another google link, was that simply your own interpretation or am I missing that statement or a similar on in the provided link?

Thanks

PS... I think they are CHP holders, not CCW holders. ;)

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    No where in the link you googled for me (nor any I was able to Google for myself) does it specifically state, or even infer as best I can tell) you can "Yes, ccw holders cant sit at the bar or in the bar area."

I would think the same "Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment" contained in the CHP law would still apply. I was under the understanding that the "new law" simply specifically stated that CHP holders could carry in a restaurant.

So unless you have another google link, was that simply your own interpretation or am I missing that statement or a similar on in the provided link?

Thanks

PS... I think they are CHP holders, not CCW holders. ;)

The only time I can think of that a CHP holder could not sit at the bar area is in certain establishments where there is a separate bar area that has a difference license and that license is not a Class A Restaurant license. I can't remember where it was but I went to a restaurant one time while working and there was a separate door that had under 18 not permitted on the door and it led to the bar. In that case, I would think through the door = not legal.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I found all the information above using google - help yourself.

The bottom of the article I linked you specifically states the date that it replaced 1495.5. Not sure how you missed that but uh, read it again and start at the bottom.

Top Bottom