C&R Selling Pet Peeves

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    I probably spend too much time on Gun Broker, Guns America, Auction Arms, etc., looking through ads and often bidding or buying (and selling), firearms.

Perhaps the most annoying descriptor a seller uses is "good condition for its age"

First. What the heck does that mean?

For example:

Here's a 1907 vintage Winchester M94 on GB that's described as "good for it's age"

pix576135380.jpg

And here's a 1902 M94 on GB listed simply as "good condition"

pix514086561.jpg

Another annoyance is "RARE". Being rare seldom equates to being valuable. Often something is rare merely because it's undesirable. And then there's RARE as a descriptor such as is used for this rifle:

pix793594071.jpg

I have no idea what makes this gun rare.

Being a model 1894? Nope, there have been about 5.5 million of them made.
    Being a model 1894 made in 1924? Nope, there were over 25,000 of them made that year.
    Being in .32 WCF? Really? Hundreds of thousands of 1894s made in that caliber.
    Being a Saddle Ring Carbine? Nope, millions made (hundreds of thousands more than left the factory).
    Being reblued?
    Being drilled for a receiver sight?

Maybe it's because this is the only model 1894 made in 1924 in .32 WCF that's been reblued and drilled into that the seller currently has in inventory with a saddle ring...

I went shopping for a gently used car this month. "for it's age" and "rare" and "limited edition" were used frequently. The warning flashers were going off in my head constantly.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    A while back, I could look at 35 ad's for Corvette's in Hemmings Motor News and 34 of those advertized one-of-a-kind cars.
    The regular ones must be extremely hard to find.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    A while back, I could look at 35 ad's for Corvette's in Hemmings Motor News and 34 of those advertized one-of-a-kind cars.
    The regular ones must be extremely hard to find.

"One of a Kind"! Does this mean "we made one and it was really fuggly. I think we should stop while we're ahead?"

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    If you're upset about all that, I strongly recommend that you not begin any sort of coin collection, or get involved in numismatics in any way. It's beyond frustrating at times.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    My current favorite is "vintage." I see it on stuff from the 60's thru 90's and the best I gather you can substitute the word OLD in all and the pictures would make more sense.

~Xenon

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I refuse to pay a lot for a muffler or anything else that makes noise. :p
    On an avrage I have bought 15 to 40 guns a year for the past 5 years. I tend to over look or ignore all the BS in adds. I buy the guns and not the stories.
    Sometimes gun sellers can be like used car sellers.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    People that "improve" a milsurp with lots of stuff and then thinks worth more than the sum of the parts. No it isn't. You're not a nationally known gunsmith. You took a $130 rifle and made it worth $200 forever. Which one is worth more? A US Army model 1917 in original condition or one that has been chopped up, spray painted, drilled, tapped, and had a tactical plastic stock placed on it?

Dave

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    People that "improve" a milsurp with lots of stuff and then thinks worth more than the sum of the parts. No it isn't. You're not a nationally known gunsmith. You took a $130 rifle and made it worth $200 forever. Which one is worth more? A US Army model 1917 in original condition or one that has been chopped up, spray painted, drilled, tapped, and had a tactical plastic stock placed on it?

Dave

Oh oh I know I know. The 2nd one is worth more right? Because it has the word tactical in the description

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA

Dave

You failed to mention that it probably will cost $375 to make that rifle worth $200 forever.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    Oh oh I know I know. The 2nd one is worth more right? Because it has the word tactical in the description

The problem there is Bubba DOES think so. I saw an absolute travesty done on a Mosin Nagant once. He basically welded a piece of pipe over the barrel and put on some kind of home made metal stock, and put on a compensator pretty much shaped like one on a Barrett 50 cal., drilled and tapped a scope mount, and put on a cheapo NC Star scope. Then tried to auction it off for 2400 bucks. He ran it twice, had zero bids both times.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom