Cajun Action Shooters Match (November 6, 2011) Cancelled!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Great time to find out! I got 2 ppl that I been wanting to get into USPSA and tomorrow was gonna be their 1st match and now its cancelled due to lack of participation.

Well it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana

That's what I think

There are a handfull of people who do almost all of the work to make CAS happen each month.
    Gary and Barbara Thibodaux are at the core of that group and are the glue that has held it together.

I personally have not made many work days or set up days in the past year.

My job changed and I'm only able to be in town for about half of the matches.

I said it at the Gator Classic, and I'll say it here.

I am commiting my time to help with planning, preparation, set-up, scoring and ROing all of the CAS matches, when I am not working.
    (I do not have any flexibility in my work schedule. ie. I can't take a day off to set-up or shoot)

Other local clubs have disbanded due to "Lack of Participation" and I would not like the sport that we enjoy so much, with the friends that we have made because of it, come to a close in my area.

“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.”

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    That seems to be a problem with all clubs, there is a set up crew( normally 4 to 8 guys) that do it every month, year after year till they get frustrated and burn out.

Its a shame!!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Bayoupirate, Very good post.
    I work EVERY Sat and get off at 12:00 so if they wanna start setup at 1:00 PM on Sat I can help with every setup. I dont know Gary and Barbara Thibodaux as well as most of yall but I do like them a lot and I can tell they put a LOT into CAS to make it work every month. I just wish I would have known sooner that it was off so I wouldnt have talked my buddys into shooting this match with me. I dont see this as a way to get people involved in helping or shooting I am the new guy around so there may be more too it than I see.

I hope it all works out.

Last edited:

L10TootieLynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chauvin, LA
    Bayoupirate, Very good post.
    I just wish I would have known sooner that it was off so I wouldnt have talked my buddys into shooting this match with me. I dont see this as a way to get people involved in helping or shooting I am the new guy around so there may be more too it than I see.

I hope it all works out.

This was just decided this morning, they do not know how many people will show up for set up until the day of set up. Unfortunately there are a few different things going on this weekend. There is a match in Memphis that some people are going to and there is a class that Max Michel and Blake Miguez are teaching in New Iberia.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    And let's not forget that Gary and Barb just finished putting on the best match in the country two weeks ago. Them folks are tired. The Gator ain't a "one weekend" thing. The 2012 match is already in the planning stage.
    We were able to shoot a USPSA match every weekend, not too long ago. River Parish Practical Shooters disbanded because we couldn't get any help for setup. CAS was in New Iberia and moved to Thibodaux for most of the same reasons. This is a "volunteer" sport and everyone MUST put forth some effort to keep things running. How many have told Gary or Barbara how much they appreciate what they do for the sport?

L10TootieLynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chauvin, LA
    Guys just want to let y'all know that they are not in any way upset are angry at anyone. She said it just happens sometimes, with all that is going on it is understandable! This should NOT start into a pointing fingers situation, I would hate for people to get there feelings hurt or rumors to start over any of this.

L10TootieLynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chauvin, LA
    Cant setup be done on Sunday before the match in times that people dont show up on Sat?

I can't fully answer this question but I can say this it sometimes takes 1/2 a day to set up so that would put the match running all day. Also this is NOT a common occurance, the last time this happened was about 2 1/2 years ago. So don't be discouraged.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Usually takes 2 to 3 hours with folks that know what's going on. Don't think too many would show up at 6 o'clock or earlier to set up.

I can't fully answer this question but I can say this it sometimes takes 1/2 a day to set up so that would put the match running all day. Also this is NOT a common occurance, the last time this happened was about 2 1/2 years ago. So don't be discouraged.

Yea I understand I am just thinking out loud. I agree it shouldnt be put all on one small group of people to setup just with working EVERY Sat till 12:00 theres not a lot I can do to help. I quit doing a lot of stuff so I can shoot EAPS and CAS and drive myself crazy waiting for the next one to get here because they are so fun if either one shuts down I feel there wont be enough matches that I could make a month to keep me into it. I understand what yall are saying about why clubs die out but its ashame they dont work out more because its such a FUN sport with great people. I will be clear I am in no way mad but just bummed and wish I could do more to help.

Thanks BigTat

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Lance, I'm glad that you understand. I've been involved in the shooting sports for over 20 years and it's hard to believe how many guys have come and go. the ones that burn out fastest are the same ones that jump in head first. Everything is better in moderation (well almost). The wait will make it that much better.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Lance, I'm glad that you understand. I've been involved in the shooting sports for over 20 years and it's hard to believe how many guys have come and go. the ones that burn out fastest are the same ones that jump in head first. Everything is better in moderation (well almost). The wait will make it that much better.

Scott, I know and your right. I come home from EVERY match and when my wife ask me how I did I tell her like crap "but I had fun and everyone was so nice I cant wait till the next match".
    It kills me that CAS is so close and I just cant help more because of work. I really dont know how Gary and Barb keep up and I will do my best to thank them and try to offer help in some way the next time I see them.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Just wan't to be clear here.

1) There's NO finger pointing going on here. I personally noted that I have not been as involved as in the past.

2) It's not uncommon for clubs to cancel matches due to weather, conflicts, etc. (There's usually no match on Easter Sunday)

3) Putting on a local club match does take much more planning and preparation prior to the match than most people realize.

4) I am NOT predicting or suggesting that CAS is anything but growing in size.

5) As Scooter pointed out, this is a VOLUNTEER sport and EVERYONE MUST put forth some effort to make it successful.

So far this has been a great discussion, Let's keep focused on what we can each do to help CAS continue to be a high quality operation.

Last edited:

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    I know that I always try to make the EAPS setup when I am in town. It is hard for me to head to CAS or even Tangi to set up and drive back to Baton Rouge then back to the range the very next day. The shooters who live around the range are the ones who need to set up for their local range. If I had more time and gas money, I would drive the each range the day before and set up because I love the Sunday morning shoots.

We all need to take a break and start fresh for 2012. EVERYONE needs to stop and think of whats important and do the right thing. It is too easy to point the finger at some one else before looking at the three fingers on your same hand pointing right back at you!!!

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I wish I lived closer, it's a three hour drive to go to Thibodaux, 2-1/2 hours for Gonzales, 3-1/2 hours for Tangi. We try to car pool when we can.

Top Bottom