Camera Ticket for Right on Red in BR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    My buddy received a camera-ticket in the mail for a right-on-red violation in Baton Rouge. He was not operating the vehicle; he was working out of the country at the time and his employer can verify this.

If I understand things correctly:
    *This is a civil matter between a private person and a business, not between a private person and the state/city.
    *He is not obligated by Louisiana State Law to pay the "fine" because he was not operating the vehicle and can prove it.
    *He has no obligation under Louisiana State Law to identify who was driving the vehicle when the infraction occurred.

Should my buddy submit a notarized copy of the "it wasn't me driving but someone else form" even though he has no intention of disclosing who was driving?

Will sending a cease and desist letter to the camera company be enough to prevent collection attempts and bad credit ratings if he refuses to pay?

Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    A similar thing happened to me in NOLA. It's one of the reasons I hate and am very opposed to the red light cameras. They are not error proof and they're basically a money making scam. They make disputing the tickets incredibly inconvenient and damn near impossible in the hopes that you just pay up to avoid the trouble.

Mine happened when I made a legal right turn at a red light. The video and the pictures they sent showed that clearly, but the only option they gave me to dispute it was an 8:00am court date on a Wednesday. :mad:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My wife has a collection of right turn on red violations and we haven't paid the first one. They are all the same intersection and for some reason the camera picks her up. She stops at the line, then inches forward so she can see around traffic and then goes. We round file them, they aren't persued and none have shown up on her credit report. The city doesn't want these fought in court so they haven't done anything about unpaid tickets. There is a good chance they won't stand up to the louisiana constitution.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    A friend got one of these for a right turn violation.

The video showed he wasn't at fault.

The company that processed them looked again, per his request, and dropped the case.

This was in BR.
    :squint:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Yeah , I think I dodged a bullet , but time will tell . I know damn well I was in the intersection , but I had my tailgate down and the load extended past the tailgate . might have obscured the view .

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Good question. I'm pretty sure I was in the middle of an intersection turning left when the light went red on me this past Friday :doh:

Wife's was about 5 days from the violation. She was sooooooo busted. I laughed my @ss off. She thought I was gonna be soooo mad. She won't get caught again. Kinda brings the "I'm a really safe driver" chant to a quick slow down when you get one of those legitimately. LOL!

There is a video associated with the still photos you get in the mail and that should clear any legal right turn stuff. Just contact RedFlex or whomever and that should take care of it. Good luck!

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    A similar thing happened to me in NOLA. It's one of the reasons I hate and am very opposed to the red light cameras. They are not error proof and they're basically a money making scam. They make disputing the tickets incredibly inconvenient and damn near impossible in the hopes that you just pay up to avoid the trouble.

Mine happened when I made a legal right turn at a red light. The video and the pictures they sent showed that clearly, but the only option they gave me to dispute it was an 8:00am court date on a Wednesday. :mad:

^
    This.

A policeman can see what's going on a lot better than a camera snapping photos. He also has human discernment whereas a camera just snaps a photo and the government mails you a ticket and photo saying pay or go to jail. You can't face your accusor in court because your accusor is a camera

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    ^
    This.

A policeman can see what's going on a lot better than a camera snapping photos. He also has human discernment whereas a camera just snaps a photo and the government mails you a ticket and photo saying pay or go to jail. You can't face your accusor in court because your accusor is a camera

It ain't just a camera snapping a photo.
    Go to the web site on the ticket and punch in your ticket number.
    You will se the photo snapped....and can watch a video of you running the red light.
    Don't ask me how I know. :dunno:

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    After speaking with a friend who has experiencing fighting these red-light citations I have learned that it is easiest to appeal based on a technicality. However; if one does appeal and does not win outright against the camera crooks then an additional $50 is added to the cost for "court fees".

The camera-crooks have circumvented due process by filing a complaint against the vehicle and not the driver of the vehicle. In the event of non-payment, a lien is placed on the vehicle but no reports are made to credit agencies.

Public Safety has been turned into an economic opportunity by these camera companies and the politician's who support the photo-enforcement.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Post the video and let us judge if you stopped or not,lol. We use to have to approve this tickets and alot of discretion was used.

Top Bottom