Camping with a boat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    The wife and I are looking at going camping for her birthday the second week of June. We are looking at either Claiborne, Caney, or maybe Indian Creek. The problem is that this is the first time we will be camping with our boat. Not all of the latches lock as it is an older boat. How worried should I be about the stuff I keep in the boat, rods, reels, and some tools? Should I take them out at night or just lock up what I can?

Any experiences you guys can give me would be great.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    In 40 years of camping the only thing I have had stolen was a few beers from an ice chest left out at night; I suspect a few kids out roaming late at night.
    I have not personally stayed at any of the sites you have listed, though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have seen some boats raided at hotels. Never heard of a problem while camping though but I'm not familiar with the campgrounds in that area.
    I know there are some inexpensive motion sensing alarms out there. Can you park the boat next to your tent/RV?

The best way to slow down thieves when it comes to car stereos is to use the most unusual types of screws you can find. When I had an aftermarket stereo I could get it out, but anyone else better have a tool shop with them! Star heads, alarm screws, torx, etc. The same idea works for depth finders, etc.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    If it's an older boat you could probably buy some latches locks and sheet metal/ wood screws and make some rather easily just might have to whack the hinges where you want or need them to bend with a hammer.

Otherwise I would lock up what you can and only put stuff that would be replaceable to you in the boxes you can not secure. The locks just keep honest people honest I don't recall anything ever being stolen out of my boat even when forgetting to lock a latch here or there out of sight out of mind does work to an extent. I would Google the locations you have and see if any pop up with complaints about things going missing out of boats. I know this works because word of mouth and internet ratings for Roudock boat launch is a very popular target area for thieves that hit the trucks and boats that get left there overnight.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Once at Grand Isle I had an ice chest of beer stolen but then again I don't leave any rods and reels on the boat.
    Call now if you want a site at Indian Creek.

Top Bottom