Can you be liable for stolen gun or car used in a crime ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Old Metairie burglary spree prompts warning about 'citizen-assisted' crimes

Four suspects have been arrested for burglarizing more than 20 vehicles in Old Metairie earlier this week. But authorities say the criminals are getting a dangerous "assist" from Jefferson Parish residents.

Two guns, prescription medication, electronic equipment, cash and other property were stolen from the vehicles, according to Col. John Fortunato, spokesman for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. But none of the cars had signs of forced entry.

That's because the doors were left unlocked, authorities said. In fact, detectives tied the burglary cases to the theft of three vehicles from the same neighborhood on Monday night, according to Chief Deputy Tom Gorman, commander of the Sheriff's Office investigations bureau.
    11929215-large.jpg

Victims could be liable

While detectives track down leads in the cases, authorities said the spree should serve as a warning for Jefferson Parish residents. Gorman said people don't understand they may be opening themselves up to some type of liability by their negligence.

"A vehicle is a 2,000-pound weapon," he said. "These kids get the car, and they kill somebody in an automobile accident. Nobody's going to get any money out of the kids. They're going to look at the police report and find out the car was left unlocked, and then who do you think is going to suffer?"

Fortunato said the Sheriff's Office has repeatedly reminded residents to take their valuables out of their vehicles and keep car doors locked. Gorman said crime rates would drop drastically if citizens followed those few steps. Some may be angered by the implication that residents are partly at fault.

"Owning a gun and having a car is a privilege," Gorman said. "Anyone who owns weapons, whether it's a .40-caliber handgun or a 2,000-pound car, needs to act responsibly to protect their property from criminals."
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/11/old_metairie_burglary_spree_pr.html

:)

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    "Owning a gun and having a car is a privilege," Gorman said.

No disputing the irresponsibility of leaving a gun in an unlocked vehicle, but I really don't like the above statement.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    "Owning a gun and having a car is a privilege," Gorman said.

No disputing the irresponsibility of leaving a gun in an unlocked vehicle, but I really don't like the above statement.

I agree

Is he one of them that rode around with Steven Seagal trying to play LEO on TV?

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You are "liable" for anything a good lawyer can pin on you. So that's a wash imo.

What I'm interested in, other than the arrogance of the "it's a privaledge" statement :( is how JPSO would know, with certainty enough to put it into a report, that a door was left unlocked? Using a slim jim is not exactly an unknown technique on vehicular burglary and leaves, to my experience, zero trace that it was used. Or are they saying that simply because the window was not smashed in, then it MUST have been unlocked?

Yeah, folks are goofs who leave weapons unssecured in a vehicle 1, and 2, leaving your vehicle unlocked is pretty ditzy too, but liable? Don't think so accept under the very broad caveat above.

Just my .02.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I heard a gun counter guy at Academy tell a woman that you have to lock up any firearms in your home because if a burglar steals it and uses it in a crime , you are liable . Said it was " Federal law " . I told her that was ******** .

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    "Owning a gun and having a car is a privilege," [Chief Deputy Tom] Gorman said.

He deserves to be fired for making such a stupid comment. Either he's intentionally lying or he thinks the citizens of Jefferson Parish should seek permission to own things. While operating a motor vehicle on public roads may be a privilege, certainly not owning that motor vehicle or owning a firearm is a privilege.

This explains a lot about the chief deputy's attitude toward citizen ownership of firearms.
    http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2011/11/jefferson_parish_sheriff_newel.html
    but kudos to Sheriff Normand

Last edited:

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    hey may be opening themselves up to some type of liability by their negligence.

While I don't think you would generally have recourse for their actions, it doesn't mean that someone couldn't drop a civil suit on you that you would then need to hire an attorney to defend.

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I spoke with someone on the New Orleans crime commission around a month ago. He said 80% of the guns uses in crimes in New Orleans came from straw purchases and guns stolen from unlock cars. He was very pissed that people do not lock their cars with guns inside. Apparenly this is a big problem.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I understand the whole idea of dont leave a gun in a car. Especially an unlocked car. BUT they are saying it is negligent to leave your car unlocked, incase it gets stolen? Are they serious?
    I never lock my doors on my Jeep Wrangler. There is no point to. To get inside, all they have to know is how to work a zipper. And they are usually too lazy to do that and just cut the windows/tops if the doors are locked. Those windows are $350 - $400 a set. Id rather them open the door, move some papers around, and see that there is nothing to steal except some recovery straps.
    Basically according to them, im irresponsible because its easy to get into my vehicle.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I understand the whole idea of dont leave a gun in a car. Especially an unlocked car. BUT they are saying it is negligent to leave your car unlocked, incase it gets stolen? Are they serious?
    I never lock my doors on my Jeep Wrangler. There is no point to. To get inside, all they have to know is how to work a zipper. And they are usually too lazy to do that and just cut the windows/tops if the doors are locked. Those windows are $350 - $400 a set. Id rather them open the door, move some papers around, and see that there is nothing to steal except some recovery straps.
    Basically according to them, im irresponsible because its easy to get into my vehicle.

Kinda reminds me of the people posting "Looking for a cheap gun". Then when confronted they say their car is parked in "bad area's of town" when they work. So if it's stolen no big deal. Only a TOOL would leave any firearm where it can fall into criminal hands.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I think it safe to say that any such lawsuit would be difficult to push through court.

With that said, there is a certain level of moral responsibility involved with leaving a loaded firearm in an unlocked vehicle. It may very well be your very own family, or mine, that it is used against.
    This is why I never understood the concept of "Truck Guns", that so many people claim when selling, have "finish issues and some minor rusting, sat under the seat for two years."

1. It may just be my opinion, but I never leave my weapons unattended and accessible. They're either on me, or secured in some other location.

2. I wouldn't trust a weapon to defend my life if it has sat in a humid pile of old McDonald's fries, gas receipts and half the coke you spilled, for more than the drive home, without so much as an inspection or cleaning.

Each man has his opinion, but that line of thinking doesn't agree with me.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Kinda reminds me of the people posting "Looking for a cheap gun". Then when confronted they say their car is parked in "bad area's of town" when they work. So if it's stolen no big deal. Only a TOOL would leave any firearm where it can fall into criminal hands.

Forgot to add, i never leave a gun in it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Unbelievable.

Why not just come out and add something along the lines of 'they're just misguided kids, and not fully responsible for their actions.'

Makes me want to hurl.:mad:

Yeah- everyone should lock their cars. WE GET IT. But tell me, good Sir, where it is spelled out that it's ILLEGAL NOT TO.

Top Bottom