Cane Syrup. Life is sweet.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thought I'd post a few pics of our syrup making process. Besides honey I dabble in syrup also. Ill have some for sale after Thanksgiving.
    eqyry3yt.jpg
    evyne3uq.jpg
    a5ujequ9.jpg
    u7u5uzy8.jpg

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Looks excellent- and that pot you are using to make the syrup in appears ancient.
    Any story behind it?

Also, how much is your syrup and how may I purchase some?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The pot comes from around the Marksville area. It's prolly pushing the century mark. I wish I knew the story behind it but I don't. It sits on a brick and cement foundation that we made for it. The mill that crushes the cane was made by the Chattanooga Plow Company in the late 1800's. We run it off the PTO on our tractor. We sell a 12 oz jar for 4.50 and its worth every penny. After you factor on all the labor (ours) diesel, propane we are in the red big time. We try to make enough to pay for the propane. The man in the picture is my 80 year old uncle who loves making syrup and has guided our family through thick and thin so what ever he wants he gets. Lets just say its a labor of love.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Very very nice!.
    What variety are y'all using?
    I don't have pics in my phone but if I get a chance later I'll post a few from the batch we made last winter.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I would like some if you ship it
    thanks and a great story and tradition

PS we have some folks that do maple syrup in this neck of the woods, but never had/tried syrup.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    cane024.jpg

cane032.jpg

cane028.jpg

cane029.jpg

cane030.jpg

cane035.jpg

It's my great uncles operation but has been ongoing for many generations. His kettle cracked in '81 and he upgraded to a stainless pan, I have the kettle in my rock garden at home. We usually make 1 batch per year of about 80 gallons.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We use lots of varieties. My Uucle worked at the LSU Research Station in St Gabriel so he has lots of knowledge of sugar cane, plus he farmed sugar cane for 50 years before he retired and went to work for LSU. There are so many different varieties now a days that I can't keep up with them. My uncle does and we have different plots all over our farm and mixed in with my cousins cane. We are happy to share varieties and love people to come a check out the syrup making process. Angola came and got a few varieties last year as they are going to start making syrup this year. I see you are from Bunkie and farm, beans and cane? I'm up there a few times a year to inspect bees at Evergreen Honey Company.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Love your pics. We are thinking about getting a new pan as we will be moving our mill to a new location in the future. It's a lost art and I love to meet people who keep the syrup making tradition going. If we don't keep it going who will ? My uncle is 80 and will prolly live forever but just in case he doesn't my cousins and I have made a concerted effort to keep making syrup. We've been in the cane business a long time and don't plan on getting out of it any time soon.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Sugar cane and rice mostly, with a rotation of soybeans and wheat to go along with it.
    It's definitely a dying art but his son, myself and other family members are there along with him every year.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It takes about about 7-8 hours from start to finish minus the cutting of the cane. It takes about 1 ton of hand cut cane to make about 80-90 gallons of juice which cooks down to about 13-16 gallons. We then let it settle for a week or two then pour it into the smaller jars. When the hydrometer reads 33 we shut it down. Like the old folks say we are making syrup not candy. We could cook it down a lot more but we want to be able to pour it and not scoop it out with a spoon. When I have some Illl post it. As long as the shipping is paid ill send it anywhere or as usual it will be on my porch waiting for you in BR.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom