Cane Syrup. Life is sweet.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    The pot... The mill... uncle who loves making syrup...

I have vivid childhood memories of watching my father and uncle grind cane with a mule hitched to a long pole, walking in a circle to power the mill, and the big kettle with a fire going underneath. That was about 55-60 yrs ago. Don't know what happened to the old mill, but my cousin still has the kettle.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Labeeman,

I live in Baton Rouge, and love cane syrup. Having trouble finding the good stuff. Tell me where and when I can purchase . Steen's is only ok, but it's not like the old timey stuff people used to make...I bet your's is GOOD !
    If you have honey too I'm getting some, local is best.
    Thanks ...Gary

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Labeeman,

I live in Baton Rouge, and love cane syrup. Having trouble finding the good stuff. Tell me where and when I can purchase . Steen's is only ok, but it's not like the old timey stuff people used to make...I bet your's is GOOD !
    If you have honey too I'm getting some, local is best.
    Thanks ...Gary

I grew up eating ribbon cane syrup that was almost as thick as molasses or honey. Most of the cane syrup I have seen in recent years is almost as thin as pancake syrup.
    Does anyone still make the thicker cane syrup?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Real cane syrup is good stuff, but like anything else I think it's a whole lot tastier when you make it with your own hands. So many traditions we have in this part of the world are based around passing on knowledge and culture while passing a good time doing it as a community. Kind of like the old saying "teach a man to fish and you feed him for life" kind of thing. There is an event called Old Farmer's Day here north of Hammond that used to get everybody together and squeeze cane and make syrup over a wood fire for anybody who was interested. Hard work, but a really fun day full of kids, laughing and learning, and the syrup that you left with is the best there is because the taste is mixed with the experience of making it. I guess they still do it, I don't know. Would sure be a fun thing to teach the kids, go in together and do sometime. Folks like LaBeeman who have the experience and knowhow to pass on are treasures as far as I am concerned. I'd like to think that kids in the future will grow up with those kinds of simple memories when they grow up like we have. And cane syrup!

Last edited:

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Real cane syrup is good stuff, but like anything else I think it's a whole lot tastier when you make it with your own hands. So many traditions we have in this part of the world are based around passing on knowledge and culture while passing a good time doing it as a community. Kind of like the old saying "teach a man to fish and you feed him for life" kind of thing. There is an event called Old Farmer's Day here north of Hammond that used to get everybody together and squeeze cane and make syrup over a wood fire for anybody who was interested. Hard work, but a really fun day full of kids, laughing and learning, and the syrup that you left with is the best there is because the taste is mixed with the experience of making it. I guess they still do it, I don't know. Would sure be a fun thing to teach the kids, go in together and do sometime. Folks like LaBeeman who have the experience and knowhow to pass on are treasures as far as I am concerned. I'd like to think that kids in the future will grow up with those kinds of simple memories when they grow up like we have. And cane syrup!

They still have the Old Farmers Day in Loranger in October. I took my grandson last year and this year, he loves it! They don't let you participate, but have demonstrations using horses and mules of how it used to be done, including making cane syrup, butchering a hog, preparing and plowing fields, blacksmithing, etc.

And please put me down for both the honey and syrup when it's available.

Top Bottom