Car Alarm Systems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmguidry

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    My vehicle, a GMC Sierra Denali, was broken into at my apartment complex in Baton Rouge. They stole the whole front end as well as stereo equipment and other misc. electronic devices. I was wanting to know if anyone had any experience with alarm systems as to which sensor to add what not to add etc. I want something that worth the money but not to buy unnecessary add-ons. I was thinking about putting the viper 5901 with the smartstart and adding an extra siren that has a built-in backup battery. I chose the 5901 because of the 2-way pager and the smartstart incase the pager is out of range I would still be notified. Also would like to know any recommendations on who to use for the installation in the Baton Rouge area.

Thanks in advance for any help
    will post pictures soon

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Check out compustar as well, they are top notch. Remote start while it is cool is not entirely necessary since its not that cold here too often. Just an alarm with a good shock sensor should be sufficient. If a glass breakage sensor is offered I would go for it. I had a motion sensor at one time that turned out to be a PITA. The compustar I currently have has a 2 way transmitter that lets me know if my alarm is going off, has been tripped etc. Supposedly good for a mile but its never worked quite that well.

RopeS

WANTED
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    SE MI
    I have the Viper 5900 (replaced by the 5901 I guess). It's a few years old now, and I'm still happy with it. One situation I did have with it though, about six months after I bought it, my car horn -not the alarm horn- would go off randomly and I'd have to disconnect the horns under the hood. After a day or two of leaving the horns unplugged, I'd plug them in again and all would be fine for a while, until it would do it again. The worst time was driving in GA in rush hour traffic and construction bumper to bumper and the horn starts blaring. I had to stop in the lane (no shoulder) and open my hood to disconnect my horn.lol. Good times.. I took it to the dealer who told me it was an issue with the alarm, though the horn worked fine for them. Took it to the installer and they swore up and down that the Viper system didn't have anything to do with the regular car horn. I lived with it for another week or two till it started going off again then took it back to the installer and demanded that they replace the control module for the Viper under warranty, as in my mind that would be the only thing causing the chaos. I guess I knew more than them, as it hasn't acted up since.

So there's my book, just in case you have the same issue I did.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Looks like you have the basic system covered, as mentioned before I would also add a glass sensor. The only thing that I dont care for about the new vipers is the rechargeable battery, but that may not be an issue for most people.

I think the biggest thing about an alarm system is the installer. Most of the alarm brands are good nowadays, but a bad installation will drive you nuts with issues. Take it to a reputable shop, that is an authorized dealer.

Bmguidry

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

I had thought about the proximity sensor but didn't know if it would just go off more than necessary...and I'm definitely looking for a reputable dealer to install hoping someone here had some personal experience to point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Dont do the proximity sensor, they are a big hassle especially if you live in an apartment complex. As long as you have the doors and glaass covered you will be good to go.

Where are you located? I know it says morgan city, are you still there?

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Damn, they took the whole front end. You weren't lying. Stay away from proximity sensors. They're for convertibles and soft top jeeps. If set wrong they're just going to annoy you and everyone who parks next to you. It's like a shock sensor that's jacked up too high. Or a glass break sensor that goes off every time it rains. The Directed website shows the local dealers when you put in a zip code. Mike's Audio is reputable. It is all about the installer but Viper (Directed) is a good brand for sure.

http://www.directed.com/Support/RetailerLocator/Default.aspx

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Go to Mike's Audio and ask for Yam. He is the manager and has been in the industry forever.

10505 Airline Highway
    Baton Rouge, LA 70816-4110
    (225) 292-4986

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    To a couple of skilled individuals that front is a 10 minute job after the hood is popped.
    What were they after tearing up the column?
    Judging by the popped lock and removed front, they knew exactly what they were doing and what they wanted. The denali conversion is a easy sell.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    looks like they knew exactly what they were doing, it was a clean job. They have done it before. Man, hope no one tries that on my escalade.

Bmguidry

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yea definitely professionals they didn't cut any wires or anything just unclipped them didn't really damage anything just took what they wanted without causing any extra damage

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I may be biased as I own the joint, but I recommend David's Car Stereo. Ask for me
    or Brenda at Siegen Lane. 292-2902

Yam's a good guy, but he's a newbie compared to us. :)

Top Bottom