Carrying a Concealed Weapon At a Parade as a Spectator w/a Concealed Handgun Permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You aren't going to get a clear answer from any NOPD cops because there is no clear answer. If you are being scrutinized by the NOPD during Mardi Gras it probably won't be because you accidentally exposed your firearm on a parade route. I hope you have better control over your weapon in such a crowded place. It will be from getting into a fight, drinking too much, being disorderly, not following a simple traffic command from the cop, arguing with your wife/girlfriend, pissing in public, parking illegally, etc etc. Add a gun to that mix, even a lawfully carried one, and you are going to end up in the cage to be sorted out later.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I could agree with that and over the years I think they have both been the same at times. I don't go there.

Years ago when I worked from 630 Jackson Avenue the first thing they said during a disturbance was Up Against the Wall M F.
    If you did not comply in short order you would receive a blow to the head with a night stick.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The whole thing blows my mind.... Prohibiting someone with a ccw permit from carring within 1000ft of a parade on a public street. Now I understand the fact that having so many people around would cause many issues if shooting in defense.... It isnt the being at the parade im worried about, it is the X amount of blocks I might have to walk in the dark to get there....

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    The instructor in the class I just took said that there was a change to the law about parades and carry that negates that but that the web site hasn't been updated since 2007. Take this for what it is worth as this is the same instructor in my 'Took my CHP class today... Not all good' thread...

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The instructor in the class I just took said that there was a change to the law about parades and carry that negates that but that the web site hasn't been updated since 2007. Take this for what it is worth as this is the same instructor in my 'Took my CHP class today... Not all good' thread...

The DAY(!!!) we brought it to Sgt Reavis' notice that NM issued reciprocity he changed the website to reflect that. The week after when NM said oops, we changed our mind, again he changed it. As well as indicating until they got their act together, he wasn't going to dick around with yes it is, no it isn't changes.

I would highly distrust your certificate was issued by a certified instructor based on your comments. Personally, I'd double check his number on the website.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Got that right herohog you have to consider the source on that one. :)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Negative.

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana

What was the change in the law about parades & carry? What was negated? It is my understanding that the parade wording has not changed since the law was originally written in 1996.

I refer to state law for my information. I do not rely on whether or not lsp.org is updated. Lsp.org is a good source of information and is updated continuously. They do a remarkable job with the resources they have.

ccomeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Lafayette Area
    If you are being scrutinized by the NOPD during Mardi Gras it probably won't be because you accidentally exposed your firearm on a parade route. I hope you have better control over your weapon in such a crowded place. It will be from getting into a fight, drinking too much, being disorderly, not following a simple traffic command from the cop, arguing with your wife/girlfriend, pissing in public, parking illegally, etc etc. Add a gun to that mix, even a lawfully carried one, and you are going to end up in the cage to be sorted out later.

+1 on this!! If your carrying you should be staying out of trouble, then it won't be an issue. Just my opinion, if it comes to me having to use my firearm, this is the last thing I'm worried about. As for the law changing, I can't find this change anywhere.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What was the change in the law about parades & carry? What was negated? It is my understanding that the parade wording has not changed since the law was originally written in 1996.

I refer to state law for my information. I do not rely on whether or not lsp.org is updated. Lsp.org is a good source of information and is updated continuously. They do a remarkable job with the resources they have.

Don't know if you read the long thread herohog was talking about but his "instructor" was talking out of his ass on some of our La laws and this was probably another thing he got wrong.

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Don't know if you read the long thread herohog was talking about but his "instructor" was talking out of his ass on some of our La laws and this was probably another thing he got wrong.

Thanks Charlie12. I saw the thread about the instructor. My frustration is that I go to great lengths to obtain and provide accurate information. When someone provides erroneous information, it takes time and energy to try to correct it. Some people never get the corrected information. It not only puts them in jeapordy of violating the law, it makes everyone look uninformed. My goal is to get the information right.

ccomeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Lafayette Area
    +1 CCW

Bad thing is that there are a bunch of these "instructors" that really don't know what's going on. They would rather spout their opinion instead of take the time to research and learn the right information.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Thanks Charlie12. I saw the thread about the instructor. My frustration is that I go to great lengths to obtain and provide accurate information. When someone provides erroneous information, it takes time and energy to try to correct it. Some people never get the corrected information. It not only puts them in jeapordy of violating the law, it makes everyone look uninformed. My goal is to get the information right.

I understand too bad we can never get a straight answers about our La laws and even if we did places l like N.O. wouldn't go by them

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    +10000000000000

And that's the worst part of the CHP process. We as instructors are just Assumed to have the correct information in our courses. There's no "legal" training / test for instructors to pass, LE or not.

As far as NOLA is concerned, even after I got my commission, I STILL avoid it like the plague. That place is a cess pit.

"New Orleans, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

TehJackal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I haven't really heard much about the people getting nabbed for CCW in NOLA other than most have been fleeing from the Officers and many ditching weapons along the way. A majority have been convicted felons and of a certain type of group. So I would heed the advice of others so far in this thread, unless you are a LEO from the area, I wouldnt carry too close to the front of the line and definitely stay out of trouble. NOPD tends to do what they want and have it sorted out later in court... much later. My advice is do whatever you feel is not going to get you thrown into OPP. This time of year your looking towards at least 5 days+ especially if on the weekends just to get sent before a Magistrate judge to be set to either get bond and see what you will most likely get charged with, that may or may not, get thrown out in criminal district court by a real judge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom