Carrying at the Baton Rouge State Fair

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    I am pretty barn positive the answer is no, and I did a search or two and basically found my answer but wanted to ask anyway for more conformation. Just I know the fair isn't what it was when I was younger I haven't been in quite a few years but the wife and a group of co workers want to go see David St. Romain.

Thanks in advance

hdsprstr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Welsh
    I am pretty barn positive the answer is no, and I did a search or two and basically found my answer but wanted to ask anyway for more conformation. Just I know the fair isn't what it was when I was younger I haven't been in quite a few years but the wife and a group of co workers want to go see David St. Romain.

Thanks in advance

My opinion, If I were going to listen to music at a fair or festival and felt like I needed a gun I would go ahead and carry it. I may be wrong but my thinking is if its concealed then no one will notice if you have it or not. As long as I would just be listening to Music and NOT riding the rides I would go ahead and go for it. My concealed carry instructor motto he drilled into us was "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Smart Move

Not going to the fair period I feel is a good move.
    I remember years ago when my boys were young I bought them each a shotgun to persuade them not to go to the fair that year. Actually cheaper to do that!!!

Still got the shotguns but I feel if we had gone to the fair all that would I would have now is the mud staind from the rain on my floorboards and cotton candy still stuck in the back seat of the cloth seats of my car LOL!!!

Oh Baton Rouge, State Fair, CARRY CARRY CARRY Fair or Not alot of things are not the same as when you were younger in BR>

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I went last year and don't remember seeing any signs or coming up with any reason why I couldn't carry. Only problem is it's difficult to ride some of the rides. Would be a slight problem is my gun came flying out while spinning upside down on a ride.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I almost feel that by publicly asking this question and determining it is against the law then stating you will choose to ignore the law is asking to get screwed when you have to use firearm and a lawyer gets a hold of this transcript.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think anyone has determined it is against the law. There are no signs and the CHP rule book says nothing about fairs or BREC parks.

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This, off of their website. Don't know about a specific "law".

BREC Parks General Rules

HELP KEEP OUR PARKS SAFE AND ATTRACTIVE BY OBSERVING THE FOLLOWING:

1. Park is closed between sunset and sunrise, except for special events and scheduled activities.
    2. Motorized vehicles are only allowed in designated roadways and parking areas.
    3. Glass containers are NOT allowed.
    4. Litter and refuse are to be placed in proper receptacles.
    5. Pets and animals must remain under control and on a leash at all times.
    6. Cursing or using profane language is NOT allowed.
    7. Drugs, alcoholic beverages and firearms are NOT allowed.
    8. Golf practice allowed only at designated golf facilities.
    9. NO paint ball permitted.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah dude your no firearm rules must be posted on a sign at the entrance of your property for it to mean anything to your CCW permit. A no firearm policy posted on your website doesn't mean anything.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yeah dude your no firearm rules must be posted on a sign at the entrance of your property for it to mean anything to your CCW permit. A no firearm policy posted on your website doesn't mean anything.

Sec. 13:1011. Possession of firearms at BREC parks.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession a firearm, pellet gun, BB gun or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon on property comprising parks, playgrounds, recreational areas or facilities owned or operated by the recreation and parks commission.
    (b) Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), imprisoned in the jail for not more than six (6) months, or both.
    (City Code 1951, Title 13, § 107; Parish Code 1962, Title 13, § 417)
    Cross references: Parks and recreation generally, title 3; discharge of firearms on Capitol Lake prohibited, § 3:51.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There is no way someone can keep track of every local ordinance in every city/parish/county in the country. The state CHP rulebook has to be the bible. If it's not specifically mentioned in the rulebook I have to assume my permit is good there or else I might as well go turn it in at LSP and give up trying to be a good guy.

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I think the no firearms sign is for a private business.

Am I wrong in thinking:
    This is a public park just like a public street. By what authority can BREC ban guns. A city can't legally decide to ban guns on public streets. What's the difference?
    Can any CCCW instructors chime in please.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Looks like #4 is pretty clear too!! What a JOKE!
    Again, why would you want to risk going to a place that will DEFENITLY rob your money and carry your weapon?
    What monies the fair wont take the thugs will LOL!
    If you want to listen to entertainers buy their CD. If you want rough and gut jerking rides ride the interstate system!! If you want to be in a crowd of folks that are crazy visit the mall!!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    There is no way someone can keep track of every local ordinance in every city/parish/county in the country. The state CHP rulebook has to be the bible. If it's not specifically mentioned in the rulebook I have to assume my permit is good there or else I might as well go turn it in at LSP and give up trying to be a good guy.

They probably don't care if you learn every ordinance in every place you said but if you are going to carry a gun in a BREC park they do care. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just posting the law. And as far as the "bible" of CHP maybe this part covers a BREC park.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

And at the park down the road from me there's a sign at the road with the rules and it says no guns, weapons or something like that, I'll have to check it.

Top Bottom