Casual Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Please don't start in on me yet! :D My daughter who has been anti-gun, although she never had a problem with me taking her 2 sons to the range with me, just shocked the sh** outta me by telling me she thought she wanted to get a gun to keep in the house. Knock ME over with a feather!!! We went to the range and tried a couple of snubbies which she liked. So I'm putting together a package of 1 .38 snubby (a gift...), some +P Gold Dot HPs to keep for defensive use, a couple of boxes of .38 spl just to have in case she goes to the range without me, some hearing protection, a Remora to keep it in if it gets moved around and a biometric safe (fingerprint-swipe) to keep it in.

She says for keeping in the house. But if (big IF!) she wants to take it somewhere (not wanting a CC permit at this time - baby steps...) I'd like some suggestions for keeping it handy (OFF BODY of course) in a car, etc. in case "just in the house" becomes something else over time. I'm thinking car front seat covered with a newspaper or towel. Purse or pocket is OUT.

Other ideas for non-concealed but not really open carry (no holster or anything used)? Again, baby steps and maybe I can get her to get a permit so purse carry or something (she's a nurse so on the job is out...) might be handy to know. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm going to be that guy, and go ahead on telling you that you are approaching this in every bad way possible.

1. It's great that she wants a firearm for self defense, but you should educate her properly before gifting her a firearm.

You have a daughter, that for the most of her life, has given into the idea that firearms are bad. She only wants one, now, out of fear. That is not a good thing. What is good, is that she has finally come to the realization that bad things happen to good people and unless you take measures to prevent that from happening to you and your family, then you will become another victim. Take the time to teach her how to handle firearms safely. This would be a great opportunity to have the entire family bond and become further educated. If you don't have the means to do that, then I suggest you find an instructor that will give a private course for all of your family, or at the least, the two of you.
    If she doesn't want to get a CHP or Open Carry, then she will be all but defenseless in her vehicle or home.

2. A .38 special snub nose revolver is a terrible choice for an inexperienced shooter, for too many reasons.

Revolvers, especially compact revolvers, are not good firearms to give new shooters. Any person that has experience with real experience, and some common sense, would tell you this. She would be better off with a firearm that fits her well, that she enjoys shooting, and something that she can effectively manage recoil.

I've watched many new shooters show up to the range with their new revolver, that the joe-blow idiot gun clerk convinced them to buy, and not be able to get a good hit on a B sized target at 3 yards.

3. Calm yourself down and be logical.

Seriously. This is probably the most important point I'm listing. It goes along with everything above. If I wanted to learn how to write, and you gave me a pen, I did not learn how to write, you just gave me a writing instrument. If she wants to defend herself, you don't give her a gun, you teach her to safely handle, shoot, and carry a firearm.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    If she is in the BR area call Precision. I they have some ladies league that meets once every couple of weeks. Maybe her exposure to some women enjoying shooting might help her get more comfortable around the culture and practice of shooting.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Took my mother shooting this week end for the first time. Everything from 22's, Glocks, Springfield, 9mm and 45's and a S&W .38 snub nose. She hated everything except the .38. Would it be my choice, NO, but if that's what she's comfortable with then so be it.
    As far as a gun left in a car, a lot of what can happen to her is on the way to her car. But at least keep it locked up when she's not in it. Definitely get some real training.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Pyreaux, let it go...

Robhic I'm on board with Dave on this one. Buying a .38 snub for my wife was a big mistake. She fell in love with the 4" ruger .357 I had at the time! She was not happy with me for selling it later. Start her on a .22 Ruger or buckmark and work up. Stay away from the compacts at first.
    Take your daughter to the range and let her try a variety of guns, let her pick her favorite. Get her to take the CCW class- the legal bits are important. The coaching after is well worth it also (sometimes its better to let a nonfamily member teach her).
    I suggest Bearco, btw. He's one of the best coaches I've met. Offer to take the class with her, or maybe send her with a girlfriend for support. Its a bit of a drive from destrehan but well worth it and far better than what I've seen in the river parishes.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I'm going to be that guy, and go ahead on telling you that you are approaching this in every bad way possible.

1. It's great that she wants a firearm for self defense, but you should educate her properly before gifting her a firearm.

You have a daughter, that for the most of her life, has given into the idea that firearms are bad. She only wants one, now, out of fear. That is not a good thing. What is good, is that she has finally come to the realization that bad things happen to good people and unless you take measures to prevent that from happening to you and your family, then you will become another victim. Take the time to teach her how to handle firearms safely. This would be a great opportunity to have the entire family bond and become further educated. If you don't have the means to do that, then I suggest you find an instructor that will give a private course for all of your family, or at the least, the two of you.
    If she doesn't want to get a CHP or Open Carry, then she will be all but defenseless in her vehicle or home.

2. A .38 special snub nose revolver is a terrible choice for an inexperienced shooter, for too many reasons.

Revolvers, especially compact revolvers, are not good firearms to give new shooters. Any person that has experience with real experience, and some common sense, would tell you this. She would be better off with a firearm that fits her well, that she enjoys shooting, and something that she can effectively manage recoil.

I've watched many new shooters show up to the range with their new revolver, that the joe-blow idiot gun clerk convinced them to buy, and not be able to get a good hit on a B sized target at 3 yards.

Seriously. This is probably the most important point I'm listing. It goes along with everything above. If I wanted to learn how to write, and you gave me a pen, I did not learn how to write, you just gave me a writing instrument. If she wants to defend herself, you don't give her a gun, you teach her to safely handle, shoot, and carry a firearm.

DaveM, thank you for your time and you make good points. I HAVE taken her shooting .22s from time to time and with the 2 grandsons. She just never showed an interest in owning a firearm. Lives on the westbank and has the dog, home alarm and baseball bat is sufficient mentality. :eek3: Now she wants something bigger for the home, hence my "casual" statement.

Doesn't wanna load and deal with magazines so a semi is out. My thought was a revolver would be safer and she's a big/tall girl, almost 39 and handled the 38 snubby fine. She is also a level 2 in "Krav Maga" MMA. She shot the snub well, IMO, for the few times we've shot it so that's why it was picked. I've gone over the basics as best I can: Walk way if possible, don't shoot someone walking away, don't look for trouble, etc. Yeah, I KNOW a course would be better but she's not going to take one at this time and why I said "baby steps".

The older grandson is waiting until he makes 21 next year and plans on getting training and a permit. He shoots well as does his younger brother but he's got a bit longer to wait. They live across the river, not here in Destrehan with me. But the 3 of us shoot often and I bought and refurbished some Polish MilSurp P-64 9mm Makarov pistols for them (the guns stay locked up here) and I bring everything when we meet up at the range.

Maybe my daughter will allow the now 20 year old to keep his Mak at home (it'll fit in the safe with her snub) now, also. I don't know but I talked to her about it. I've trained the boys fairly well, IMO. I feel safe around them and I'm sure they'll be happy to impart some of their learning on mom.

I appreciate your your time and thoughts on the matter. Hopefully, the guns WILL stay at home until training is gotten. If not, I want them to keep out of trouble with the law and thieves until that happens. Thanks again!

Oh, and that other issue from 2013 was for my dentist who now has her permit. So my other question was the lead-in to success. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I agree, but good luck too! By the time I got finished hearing my wife tell me, "I know how to do this!" multiple times when I was trying to teach her how to properly handle and shoot her new G42; I wanted to shoot her!

Sometimes the worst students are blood relatives! But especially wives! :p

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Sorry Robhic, you got got! :mamoru:

As you wrote in another thread - it's a matter of perspective. ;) In that totally surprising incident, my dentist told me she bought 2 revolvers changed a bunch of money into silver (!!!) and updated her and her 2 kids' passports! HUH? What has happened to you doc?!?! She at least allowed me to give her a basic "Handgun 101" and do some live fire so if (hopefully never) she had to use the two guns she'd at least know what to expect. Then she got her CC permit and I don't have to find a new dentist after 20 yrs! So my basic use & care of a firearm seemed to work. Now I'm gonna try again with my daughter.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I agree, but good luck too! ... Sometimes the worst students are blood relatives! But especially wives! :p

Thanks but I think it'll be alright. Granddude #1 is taking criminal justice in college, shoots well, I'm comfortable around him and would feel safe and lucky to have him there if shtf. #2 is still young but I've drilled his narrow little ass safety, safety and more safety! #1 also read Mas Ayoob's "Gravest Extreme" and is waiting on me to lend him my DVD of same. He's a 2nd level Krav Maga MMA practitioner and at 20 has (few months ago) disarmed, pistol whipped and chased off 2 (count 'em 2) thug yutes in a skateboard park he shoulda known better than to be in! Gave a 9mm pistol (probably stolen) to the cops, gave two local yutes around Paris avenue a story their homies won't soon let them live down and learned to stay away from Paris Ave around 10 at night :eek3: !!!!!!! His 3 friends with him got a new found respect for him, too. Hell, he needs to be training ME!

Top Bottom