CBOB's first range visit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    I finally got the chance to take the Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail to the range.

I put 100 rounds of Monarch and 150 rounds of Blazer Brass through it, cleaning somewhere around the 40 round mark. At round 209 I had a failure to return to battery when I released the slide from slide lock using an overhand grip. This happened once more 15 rounds later, so I sprayed a little Rem Oil on the frame rails and didn't have another problem.

I haven't shot a .45 in almost 10 years; it's been nothing but 9mm and .40 S&W. The recoil difference between the "wippy yippies" and the .45 was amazing! The push of the recoil was easily controlled, and hammer pairs and controlled pairs weren't too bad considering it was my first time with the firearm.

The difference in grip profile is something I need to get used to. Even though there's hardly any difference in width between a G23's grip and that of a 1911, the latter's is oval shaped as opposed to rectangular. I found this oval shape much more shooter-friendly. While I'm on the topic of the grip, I seemed to have a problem with it rotating in my hand upon recoil. I think - and hope - replacing the standard smooth mainspring housing with a checkered one will help me keep the recoil in straight-up-and-down motion.

Another problem I had was with the sights. I attribute much of it to the lighting at the indoor range (I don't have a problem while dry firing at home), but I had difficulty maintaining focus on the front sight. Again, I do NOT believe this is a shortcoming of the firearm.

All in all, I was VERY impressed with the CBOB! The accuracy was outstanding, and the reliability was good.

Now, I just have to wait ~8 weeks for the TT Gunleather IWB holster :hs:

Here's a pic of group with the first magazine:
    normal_CBOB-first-target.jpg

These were shot doing a "box" drill toward the end of the range session.
    normal_CBOB-2-targets.jpg

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Nice, I liked the CBOB as far as what was posted here.
    I know what you mean on the recoil. A bit more dampened. It seems more like a rolling fluid motion.
    If that is jefferson indoor I did encounter 1 lane where the lighting was wierd. also when shooting smoky .22LR ammo the smog tended to hang at the muzzle area. All in all a nice place though.

I like the 'Body Bag' targets also.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom