CC while riding a bicycle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm an avid bicycle rider, nothing competative, but more for exercise and the enjoyment of riding. In the past I have had 3 seperate incidents where once I was chased by a group of young thugs, then another time actually stopped and surrounded by another group of 6 or 7 young guys, then recently cut off by two idiots who wanted my bike. The second incident, where I was stopped in the middle of the street and a group of young thugs surrounded me, they wanted to know if I was the "po po". I told them that I was with the police department, thinking that these idiots would think twice about about harming a cop. I am not a police officer but thought telling them I was would make them go away, and thankfully it worked. What they wanted was my bike. I was lucky and that group of assholes let me go. After that incident I started carrying a handgun. The first two incidents happened as I was riding my bike back home from a VA hospital clinic appointment and I tried a short cut through a less than desireable neighborhood. Since I was at a clinic appointment at the VA I couldn't carry a handgun. I first started carrying a Ruger SP 101 but found it bulky and difficult to conceal. I don't mind carrying open but sometimes the attention I get makes it a problem. Since then I've been carrying a Ruger LCP. A much easier handgun to carry and conceal. I use either a Galco Nemesis pocket holster or a Galco Maverick that clips onto my belt. I have also given up on worrying about anyone seeing me on my bike with a pistol strapped to my hip. My safety is my concern and not what someone else might think or say. I figure that as long as I'm legal in carrying my handgun that's enough. I find it a rather sad indictment of our society that one can't even ride a bicycle without being armed.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm an avid bicycle rider, nothing competative, but more for exercise and the enjoyment of riding. In the past I have had 3 seperate incidents where once I was chased by a group of young thugs, then another time actually stopped and surrounded by another group of 6 or 7 young guys, then recently cut off by two idiots who wanted my bike. The second incident, where I was stopped in the middle of the street and a group of young thugs surrounded me, they wanted to know if I was the "po po". I told them that I was with the police department, thinking that these idiots would think twice about about harming a cop. I am not a police officer but thought telling them I was would make them go away, and thankfully it worked. What they wanted was my bike. I was lucky and that group of assholes let me go. After that incident I started carrying a handgun. The first two incidents happened as I was riding my bike back home from a VA hospital clinic appointment and I tried a short cut through a less than desireable neighborhood. Since I was at a clinic appointment at the VA I couldn't carry a handgun. I first started carrying a Ruger SP 101 but found it bulky and difficult to conceal. I don't mind carrying open but sometimes the attention I get makes it a problem. Since then I've been carrying a Ruger LCP. A much easier handgun to carry and conceal. I use either a Galco Nemesis pocket holster or a Galco Maverick that clips onto my belt. I have also given up on worrying about anyone seeing me on my bike with a pistol strapped to my hip. My safety is my concern and not what someone else might think or say. I figure that as long as I'm legal in carrying my handgun that's enough. I find it a rather sad indictment of our society that one can't even ride a bicycle without being armed.

Sir,

First let me thank you for your service.

Second, seems like you got it figured out. Not sure what times you ride, but might want to add a flashlight to your gear, and definitely a cell phone in case 911 is needed.

Just remember, if they force you to draw and then they run, still call 911 to report it.

Otherwise, give em hell.;)

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    My circumstances are vastly different. I'm in the country not the city. My biggest threat comes from the possiblity of coming across a snake...MAYBE a rabid black bear, but I open carry in my area walking down the roads throughout the area. It's a very wooded area with houses here and there. Nobody seems afraid of it. Kids on 4 wheelers will occasionally ride by and say hello and comment on the revolver on my hip "hey cowboy, etc" It's perfectly legal in Louisiana. But I wouldn't go into town or into Walmart and do it. I just don't want to attract attention and to let everyone know I commonly carry a gun.
    Now, if I had to ride through blacktown, ghetto, whatever you want to call it, or just to be fair, let's say Bawcomville too (the drug infested white trash capitol of Louisiana) I'd open carry if I was riding a bike.

Last edited:

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I used to ride my bicycle at night and did wear appropriate reflective clothing and a good night light. I had no problems from anyone except the local police, which wasn't really a problem. They would stop me just about every night I rode, asking what I was doing out riding alone and the usual "where do you live", etc. Once the LEO figured out I was harmless and just out riding he/she would let me go. It was not a problem for any LEO that stopped me that I was carrying a pistol after they checked my CCW permit and checked me for wants/warrants, etc. They would of course always warn me that I shouldn't be out at night riding alone. I've since stopped riding at night but it's more work related than anything else. It never bothered me to have a cop stop and check me out. That meant they were out doing their job - in fact it made me feel safer.

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    I know where the VA is in SHV, not too good part of town, especially the Stoner area.

The next time you get approached by young thugs, try imitating Borat and say, "I likea you people, can you teach me to speaka like you?"

Seriously, as you know, you are pretty vulnerable on a bike. Avoiding the bad places and the wrong times of day is helpful. If it doesn't look "right" ahead of you, just make a u-turn go some other direction and get some more exercise.

I sometimes ride a bike and I use an OWB holster covered by a long tee shirt, riding a bike is the only time I use a retention holster. I'd like my pistol to stay on my body in the event of a crash, I don't want to see it sliding past me in the street somewhere.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    I have been thinking about this topic alot lately. I ride a good bit on the street and out on the trails. When I am on the trails I put my lcp in my bar bag. It is within reach but not instantly accessable. That worries me. While trail riding I am mostlikely going to hit the dirt at least once a ride. I don't want to land on my gun for a host of reasons. It's not the best solution but it is the safest I think.
    I am about to purchase a road bike for the first time and I am unsure what I am going to do. I wish I could find some sort of sholder rig. I want be in the dirt as often so I may just ware regular shorts outside my bike shorts and put it in my pocket. Any suggestions?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Pick a better place to ride . Not trying to be a smartass , but if the VA Hospital is in a bad part of town , drive or catch a ride with someone . We live in a crappy world sometimes and you have to adjust to it .

And thank you for your service .

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Since those incidents I have changed the areas where I ride my bike. Those of you who live in Shreveport know that there are really no "safe" places for bicycle riders. I will continue to ride and CC while doing so.

Thanks for everyone's input and also for your appreciation of my military service.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Since those incidents I have changed the areas where I ride my bike. Those of you who live in Shreveport know that there are really no "safe" places for bicycle riders. I will continue to ride and CC while doing so.

Thanks for everyone's input and also for your appreciation of my military service.

In an earlier post you mentioned the Nemesis holster. I like mine (use it for BUG), but was wondering if you've tried a fanny pack -- seems like it would be quicker to access a handgun in a fanny pack than in a pocket holster (while pedaling a bike).

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I use a GALCO web belt with a G19 in one of those Bianchi holsters that lets you change the cant angle with a little ratchet deal. A thin folded washcloth under it in Summer. Extra magazine in pocket & 2 or 3 more mags in gear bag. Never a problem.
    I will ride through River Garden in the morning daylight only. Everywhere else, the danger is more from distracted drivers. Have bright flashers on stem & stern day & night and wear a high-visibility int'l orange reflector vest like the road construction crews. Lots of folks laugh, but they do see me coming.
    I look everyone in the eye and greet them enthusiastically; trying to gauge their potential danger. Haven't had to unholster my weapon in almost 28 years, now.
    But, you never really, really know. It really is "a rather sad indictment of our society...."
    I second NolaCop's saluting of your service to our Country.
    Good Luck !

confidence

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    gulfport
    I carry with my IWB holster on my bike. I just try to make sure to wear an extra long shirt to cover it. It seems my shirts like to ride up while peddeling. I understand not being able to avoid some areas. The bad news about Savannah is there isn't really 1 area you should avoid. The bad parts of town are randomly dispersed and cover 1 to 2 blocks or so; really scary parts 1 street from really nice parts, its very strange situation.
    When i was home in MS i only road on the mt. bike trails. When there i kept a cheap P38 in the top of my Camel Back. It was easy enough to get to should i come across anything to require my going for it. Plus it wasn't discernible to anyone who was on the trail with me. Last thing i wanted to do is spook a person who could potentially help me out if i wrecked and broke my leg (i never got cell service out in the woods)

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I carry iwb while riding also. Just can't be too safe during the early morning exercise routine. Haven't had any incidents, but I have crosed the street or changed my route to avoid certain areas or upcoming "sketchy" groups of pedestrians.

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I ride all the time in downtown B.R. and down florida blvd to foster at night for excercise and have had very few problems for the past 8 years, i either carry a keltec p-32 or my G-19 with light in kydex neck holsters. The p-32 just hangs while the glock has a retention strap that holds it against my chest, i can draw them in less than a second if needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom