CCI shotshells

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    G'day guys. Just a quick question regarding the CCI shotshells. Are these effective at all for use against snakes? My wife's uncle has a pond we like to fish that regularly has snakes, and due to it being close to his house and regularly having his young grand daughter there, prefers them to be dispatched. I'd much rather have my 9mm on my hip loaded with shotshells if it works than a 12ga over my shoulder for obvious comfort reasons while fishing. Does anyone have any input as to effectiveness?

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    If you're close enough, yes. Then again, the same is true of 9mm. :cool:

When I had my little john boat I used to carry a .22 mag with rat shot. It did the job and only scratched up some paint.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The 9mm shot shells will not cycle the action, and I believe that they quit manufacturing the shot shells for automatics as of last year. The .22 and .38/.357 shot shells are very affective and readily available. I bring my Ruger Blackhawk .357 loaded with shot shells when I go fishing, it does the job for sure at any reasonable distance.

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong. I just checked out CCI's website and they still have the auto shot shells listed, so I was misinformed.

Last edited:

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    They didnt cycle through my 1911. In fact it got stuck pretty bad. Havent tried the 9mm or any other calibers. I would stick to them in a revolver if possible.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I use them all the time, but only in single shot rifles or revolvers.

To the best of my recollection, I can't say that one shot failed to kill the snake or rat I was shooting at. I also wouldn't attempt a shot past 5yds or so....

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    G'day guys. Just a quick question regarding the CCI shotshells. Are these effective at all for use against snakes? My wife's uncle has a pond we like to fish that regularly has snakes, and due to it being close to his house and regularly having his young grand daughter there, prefers them to be dispatched. I'd much rather have my 9mm on my hip loaded with shotshells if it works than a 12ga over my shoulder for obvious comfort reasons while fishing. Does anyone have any input as to effectiveness?

Keep it inside 10 feet and they work fine. If you want it dead right there, you might have to shoot it more than once

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Thanks for the info guys. The cycling issue isn't a problem as I won't be getting close enough to have to worry about a retaliation bite. 4-6 foot would be the closest I'd get depending on snake size. Naturally the bigger the snake the more I'll be keeping my distance. Having grown up in Australia I know damn well to stay out of striking range.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Australian and using a pistol to take care of snakes? Snakes are your friends! How else are you supposed to catch rabbits?

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    My personal experience is that it's "iffy" to get a snake killed with one shot. The spread, out of a pistol barrel, seems to be about 1" for every foot so that at 8 ft you'd have an 8" spread (and there's not a lot of shot in the shell to fill the 8" circle). I once shot an empty aluminum beer can at 10 ft (with a .22 magnum shotshell) and the shot dented the can but failed to penetrate. Best to pattern the shot on a newspaper and see for yourself.

deadduck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Exactly. I have a Judge Public Defender for this reason, I sell land and use it when I'm out walking land. .410 #6 shot will shred a snake! I do keep a couple of buckshot shells or 45 Colts in it for hogs, bear, or two-legged critters, but it wouldn't be my go to home defense weapon.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I find that good ole JHP 9mm +Ps work quite well on snakes. You only really need to shoot them once and they don't usually move too much :P

Top Bottom