CCW Application Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VM 2

Swine flued
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 7, 2007
    Baton Rouge / NOLA
    I've asked this question before, but never got a definite answer, but on the form when it asks about any kind of arrest/conviction/etc., Does this include your juvenile record?

I got into some trouble as a kid, but never arrested or went to court. I was offered an Informal Adjustment and if I was able to complete it, it would not make it to court.

I know there are documents in my record, however, because I still have hard copies of some of the things filed by the clerk of court.

So the question is, would something like that be required to be listed on the form? Also, would anyone know how I could go about getting my record expunged and the cost? I've been looking online but have yet to find anything

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    So the question is, would something like that be required to be listed on the form? Also, would anyone know how I could go about getting my record expunged and the cost? I've been looking online but have yet to find anything
    I unsuccessfully tried to have a DWI expunged from about 11 years ago. I wasted about $900 doing it. I'm sure it depends on the charge and your lawyer fees. Best thing to do would be to contact a lawyer about it.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Why not just call and get it directly from the horses mouth?

From the LSP website:
    Contact Us

Please direct any written correspondence, or submit applications to:
    Louisiana State Police
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
    PO Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70896

Concealed Handgun Permit Unit Phone Numbers:
    (225) 925-4867
    (225) 925-4868
    (225) 922-0225 (Fax Number)

Office Personnel:
    1. Sergeant Jason Starnes
    2. Wyndie Chifici (Office Manager)
    3. Shana Johnson

Concealed Handgun Permit Unit E-Mail Address:
    concealed_handguns@dps.state.la.us

L

Louisiana Shooter

Failing to list any arrest is grounds to have your application rejected, even when the arrest is not related to a disqualifying act or conviction.

Any arrest that is reported to the Feds stays on your record forever. Expungements are acts by state courts that affect state records. The LSP do a check of federal records, so they are likely to find your juvenile arrest. If there are court records, you were probably arrested at some point even if you were immediately released. A lot of people don't realize that "arrested" doesn't have to mean taken to the station and locked up. Arrest may take many different forms.

Last edited by a moderator:
    L

Louisiana Shooter

I forgot to add: Most sheriff's offices will run you through the database and give you a written report on yourself. You usually have to show up in person and pay a $10 fee.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I forgot to add: Most sheriff's offices will run you through the database and give you a written report on yourself. You usually have to show up in person and pay a $10 fee.
    true. In East Baton Rouge Parish you have to go to Parish Prison to get this... yes it's weird and all, but walk up to the guard shack during "normal" business hours and tell the guard you need to get a background check. They'll direct you in and where to go.

VM 2

Swine flued
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 7, 2007
    Baton Rouge / NOLA
    true. In East Baton Rouge Parish you have to go to Parish Prison to get this... yes it's weird and all, but walk up to the guard shack during "normal" business hours and tell the guard you need to get a background check. They'll direct you in and where to go.

Would something on a juvie record show up on this? I would have thought that I would have to go to the juvie court to pull my record.

I've never been arrested or detained. I have been supoenaed to show up in court though. It never made it to court because the juvie DA offered a deferred disposition, which meant if I took one year of probation, I wouldn't have to go to court. If I violated the probation, then I would have to go to court.

I should call them (juvie court) I guess and see what they say about it.

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I doubt it....Attorney w/be your best bet for a solid answer....They take a hard look at the last 5 yrs.If you have a conviction in the last 5 yrs you may have trouble.If you had a DWI in the last 5 years you w/more than likely be declined....

L

Louisiana Shooter

I doubt it....Attorney w/be your best bet for a solid answer....They take a hard look at the last 5 yrs.If you have a conviction in the last 5 yrs you may have trouble.If you had a DWI in the last 5 years you w/more than likely be declined....

The only way that I know of to get approved with a recent DWI on your record is to provide a certified copy of a substance abuse evaluation that shows that you do not have a substance abuse problem. LSP will likely contact the counselor who did the evaluation.

VM2,

You are on the right track because if something does come up from your juvi record, LSP will want certified copies documenting its disposition. I would get 2 certified copies while I was there. One for LSP and one for my own records.

Top Bottom