CCW classes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usafcajun

USAF/LEO/IT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Assumption Parish
    Looks like I'll be needing to find a class near Thibodaux in the near future. I'm moving back home next month for a new job and will have to turn in my Arizona permit.

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington
    usafcajun,
    are you active duty or a vet? La. law allows DD214 or current Mil ID and smallarms quals (201 file) for initial training.

usafcajun

USAF/LEO/IT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Assumption Parish
    usafcajun,
    are you active duty or a vet? La. law allows DD214 or current Mil ID and smallarms quals (201 file) for initial training.

I'm a drilling reservist. I'm about to change my unit affiliation to either Keesler or Barksdale. I'm currently in the 943d Rescue Group here at Davis-Monthan in Tucson. It's a pararescue unit but I work comm.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Taking a class is usually a good thing.
    Yeah, it costs some money.
    And yeah, it takes a day out of your normal schedule.

But what you get .......that military experience doesn't provide .....is a thorough review and explanation of Louisiana's statutes that pertain to justifiable homicide, negligent carry, etc.

Frankly, the legislature may have realized this and gotten something right when they first passed the CCW legislation. Even if you skate by on your DD214, you still have to take a class at renewal time.

The people who seek out exemptions, especially those who use their Hunter Safety card to apply for a Florida non-resident permit, are taking a huge risk. The cost of a lawyer to help bail you out of the slammer following a questionable (or non-justifiable) shoot will cost you a heck of a lot more than what you would have paid for a CCW class.

Even the out-of-pocket cost issue is getting harder to argue. It's my understanding that Livingston Parish SO will soon be offering FREE CCW classes..........but I'm sure that some people will still find an excuse to seek a "loophole."

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I was going to get my Fl CWL since I live in TX now but I have changed my mind. I'm going to take a class here to learn how the law is different in this state.

Let me know when you find an instructor you think is good. My younger son (Chris), who lives in League City, has been dragging his feet about applying for a CCW permit since he moved back to Texas.

When Chris lived in Houston 3-4 years ago he took his class from Greg Garrett, the guy who owns Comp-Tac holsters. Greg is a really nice guy and a very good shooter (I shot the Texas State IDPA Match with him a few times). I presume he is an equally good instructor, but I don't where he might be teaching, if in fact he still is.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Let me know when you find an instructor you think is good. My younger son (Chris), who lives in League City, has been dragging his feet about applying for a CCW permit since he moved back to Texas.

When Chris lived in Houston 3-4 years ago he took his class from Greg Garrett, the guy who owns Comp-Tac holsters. Greg is a really nice guy and a very good shooter (I shot the Texas State IDPA Match with him a few times). I presume he is an equally good instructor, but I don't where he might be teaching, if in fact he still is.

I can't believe that he can't use his class from 4yrs ago to get his CWL. I'm asking around to see who people recommend around here.

Top Bottom