CCW Duty to Notify -CHP vs. Constitutional Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sodoodle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    Does anyone know whether constitutional carry in Louisiana will have the same 'duty to notify' requirement that CHP does? I've had my CHP for a few years, and thinking about whether I should continue that or just go with constitutional carry. If there is no duty to notify unless you have a permit, I would definitely consider that an advantage to cc. Does anyone here know?

Sodoodle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    My understanding is that yes, you will still have the duty to notify.

Also, there isn't much of a downside to notifying...
    I disagree. I'd rather not. Some officers are jumpy. Some want to disarm you. There is some level of risk in that, an that risk doesn't exist if we just leave the firearms out of the interaction. I'd rather not go through any of that, so for me, duty to notify is a definite downside. Thanks for the info, AustinBR.

Last edited:

Sodoodle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Baton Rouge Louisiana

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I disagree. I'd rather not. Some officers are jumpy. Some want to disarm you. There is some level of risk in that, an that risk doesn't exist if we just leave the firearms out of the interaction. I'd rather not go through any of that, so for me, duty to notify is a definite downside. Thanks for the info, AustinBR.

Oh no...here's another one.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    there have been stories on BS of people having their guns taken apart during a stop, for the officers safety, and they are handed back a pile of parts with their ticket.

I doubt that most cops think that people should be armed at all, though all of them on a forum like this probably do.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    there have been stories on BS of people having their guns taken apart during a stop, for the officers safety, and they are handed back a pile of parts with their ticket.

I doubt that most cops think that people should be armed at all, though all of them on a forum like this probably do.
    All of the cops I’ve met from BS have all been standup guys. I’m sure most LE is. The problem lies with the ones who aren’t or the ones who don’t fully understand the laws they enforce and so on. I’m sure you’d be safe most of the time informing an officer you’re carrying. I’m not trying to beat a dead horse but we’ve all seen situations where things go sour and they shouldn’t have.

Personally I think we have entirely too many laws and rules to abide by that are mostly pointless and feel good laws. This is a prime example.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Dare I ask Why?
    I have never had any problems and have almost always been thanked for being upfront, even told I was carrying a very nice gun.
    Even have a few funny story's about my interactions.
    Judgement has already been passed, don’t bother asking. LOL!! Apparently he’s another one. Whatever that is.

For as long as I’ve carried a pistol in my vehicle, I’ve maintained the practice of informing any LEO stopping me that I keep a firearm in the car. I usually say, “I’m supposed to let you know I keep a gun in my car” or something to that effect.
    At least twice, it became a pretty major deal. Both times were obviously related to an utter lack of training and education. Both times I was detained for an extended time. Neither time was I shot or shot at. The last time was pretty intense because the young small town officer that stopped me was so nervous and green I actually thought I may not walk away. Lucky for me, town hall was within sight and a seasoned officer decided to run up the road and assist. (Jackson, LA. About 1999-2000)
    I do get why the OP has reservations about telling a cop he has a gun, but I also feel like informing them is my responsibility. Yeah, maybe there’s a chance it could go bad, but I can only do my part in that situation.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

My son had his Glock field stripped by a St. Francisville cop and the pieces thrown on the back seat .

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Just to clarify, everyone is talking about duty to notify for concealed carry versus the “choice” of whether to notify of a firearm in the vehicle only. There was also a bill, not sure of status, to provide some legal immunity to CHP holders versus constitutional carry. That would make it worth it depending on final working of the law, if passed.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Keep your card and simply hand it to the officer with your license. Even if it's expired, they'll understand.
    You are supposed to send it back to LSP.
    You must return an expired permit. According to LAC 55:I:1309.F, permits are the property of the department and shall be surrendered and returned upon suspension, revocation or expiration, or when the permittee ceases to reside in the state.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Judgement has already been passed, don’t bother asking. LOL!! Apparently he’s another one. Whatever that is.

For as long as I’ve carried a pistol in my vehicle, I’ve maintained the practice of informing any LEO stopping me that I keep a firearm in the car. I usually say, “I’m supposed to let you know I keep a gun in my car” or something to that effect.
    At least twice, it became a pretty major deal. Both times were obviously related to an utter lack of training and education. Both times I was detained for an extended time. Neither time was I shot or shot at. The last time was pretty intense because the young small town officer that stopped me was so nervous and green I actually thought I may not walk away. Lucky for me, town hall was within sight and a seasoned officer decided to run up the road and assist. (Jackson, LA. About 1999-2000)
    I do get why the OP has reservations about telling a cop he has a gun, but I also feel like informing them is my responsibility. Yeah, maybe there’s a chance it could go bad, but I can only do my part in that situation
    In your post above did you had a CHP when you were informing them you had a gun in the vehicle on the stop?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Why do I get the idea at times, that informing an officer you are armed is way down the list of informing them. Number one is you have the right to travel, and know your rights is number two. With, number 3 is no right to search! Even with possible questionable items in plain view.
    The poor guy or gal just wants to make it home safe and not have to fight with every idiot he-she comes across. And use as little ink from his or her pen as possible.
    Gonna use some questionable language here, but golly, her, wiz, get a clue. But being nice will go a long ways.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    My son had his Glock field stripped by a St. Francisville cop and the pieces thrown on the back seat .
    Westwego cop had me turn around hands up. He got behind me, wrapped his arms around me, lifted my shirt and pulled my gun out. I appendix carry. Took the mag out, cleared the chamber and tossed it all in the back seat. Well he kept the mag until he was done writing the ticket.

Top Bottom