CCW Duty to Notify -CHP vs. Constitutional Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I am licensed and know the rules, but this is one of those that I would likely ignore if I thought that it was going to spin up an LEO. You can tell when you have a seasoned LEO vs nervous noob Capt America. Concealed is concealed and if I'm not leaving the vehicle it can stay that way depending on the individual. License, registration and insurance are handy all of the time.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My guess is, if they actually do pass a law that states you have to inform, whether or not you possess a CHP, you could at least be arrested. You know what they say, you can beat the rap, but you gonna take that ride…
    Obstruction? Impeding an investigation? And again, charges like that are based probably 90% on your attitude, assuming your actions haven't already written the check.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Gun was in the truck, not on my person. As is the routine here in Louisiana, I was already standing at the back of my truck handing himlicense/registration/insurance when he approached and I informed him there was a gun on the front seat. I did not have a permit in 1999. Why do you ask? Do you think it would have made any difference at all? If yes, how so?
    For what it’s worth, when the shift super arrived, he talked to the cop in front of me, told him it was legal for me to have a gun in the truck, which he apparently did not know. I was immediately released with no citation.
    I was just wondering. Good thing supervisor came since the other guy didn't know our laws.

Feral

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2024
    Baton Rouge
    LOL, depending on how you say it, it might get you shot!
    I was told by my neighbor (Deputy Sheriff Sargent) to politely inform there is a firearm in the vehicle. He said "do not say I have a gun". His reasoning was the younger deputies may panic from hearing "gun". I gave him permission to check it, he cleared it and set it on top of my truck. After I was issued my speeding ticket he put it back in my console, thanked me for being upfront, handed me the mag and said have a nice day.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I guess I'm lucky. This mouth I will have had my DL for 57 years and I've had my CHP for about 28 years.
    I've had 3 traffic stops since I've had my CHP. All late at night while I was delivering newspapers. One Trooper he apologized for stopping me from working didn't care that I was carrying. Next LPSO deputy his excuse was he couldn't read my plate. He had been on my tail for about 1/2 mile. I was taking to my girlfriend on the phone she was behind him she told me I had a LPSO unit behind me. I said I know I'm listening to him run my plate. He lit me up and I pulled over. I told him I have a CHP and was delivering newspapers. I asked why he stop me. He said he couldn't read my plate. I asked to get out of the truck and he said ok. I walked to the back of my truck to check my plate and asked him why he couldn't read it. It was a perfect plate Army Vet with only 3 numbers on it and two bright white lights shining on it. He was in a hurrying cut me loose. He was just fishing.
    Last was a LPSO unit. Same deal late at night delivering papers. They had a shooting at a store about 5 miles away I was listening to it too.
    I pulled me over and told me to get out and put my hands on the bed of my truck over the PA. I got and when he got out of his unit I told him I had a CHP. He wanted to know if I had a gun on I said yes in the holster on my right side. He came up behind me and took it out of my holster. I could hear him taking the mag out and racking the slide. Oh he took my wallet out of my back pocket too. I told him I was delivering newspapers and he could see lots of bundles of papers in the back of the truck. He went to his unit and started running everything about me. It was kind of boring since I don't have anything on me and never have. He came back and put my gun and mag on the seat of the truck and said I could go. I told him I bet you don't find and .357Sig brass at your scene. The BOLO was for a white truck and the suspect was 5'6" with tattoos. I was in a blue truck 6'5" and no way and tattoos.
    That's my boring story for traffic stops with a CHP.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Neither my wife nor I have ever returned our expired permit . They never asked for it either .
    I posted that because that question is on the CHP FAQ page. I think I've returned one in all the years I've had one.

Someone had posted > Keep your card and simply hand it to the officer with your license. Even if it's expired, they'll understand.

That might backfire. A LEO might not like being given a expired CHP and have a problem.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Neither my wife nor I have ever returned our expired permit . They never asked for it either .
    Just wait bro. All of those credit cards and debit cards you didn’t return back to the banks over the years on top of this now?!?!? Any day before a 3 letter agency is going to be kicking your door down.

Situations like these are the anomaly and the abundance of bodycams nowadays is further making these encounters go away. Most cops don't want anyone unnecessarily handling a gun and my understanding is that most departments don't want their officers disarming folks with CHPs, LTCs, or the equivalent. It certainly doesn't make sense to take apart someone's firearm, especially if the officer damages the gun.

I've been pulled over 3-5 times in the past ten years. Every single encounter has ended with a warning and an appreciative officer for handing him my permit. If it went poorly, well, I have front/back dash cams (Which everyone should get!) and ideally the cop has a dash cam and a bodycam. But, thankfully, always being cool with the cops has worked out in my favor.
    I disagree. Just reading your first sentence saying situations like these are anomaly’s. If they were anomalies we wouldn’t all know several people with similar stories. I’ve met many of good men over the years with similar stories. Sure we all expect the **** heads who wanna fight, argue, talk back, or do just about anything they can other than what the cops requesting but it happens to good people who have no business having it happen to them. I’ve never heard of a police department telling their officers they don’t want them unnecessarily handling guns. I doubt that’s something that even comes up but maybe I’m wrong. The two state police that disarmed me certainly didn’t mind. I’m pretty sure had I not told him how to remove the holster he would have just drawn my gun and walked off with it but again maybe I’m wrong.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I posted that because that question is on the CHP FAQ page. I think I've returned one in all the years I've had one.

Someone had posted > Keep your card and simply hand it to the officer with your license. Even if it's expired, they'll understand.

That might backfire. A LEO might not like being given an expired CHP and have a problem.
    I would say handing a Leo an expired chp card isn’t going to benefit you in any way and only potentially draw heat towards you.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Anybody? lol
    I’m curious
    Ok so I know if you have a permit and you don’t let them know they can punish you and take your permit cause they have a power trip and you agreed to that while applying for permit…

But with the new law, they also say you have to notify them that you have a concealed handgun on you.. if you don’t, what is the punishment they can’t threaten to take your chp? What would be the actual charge?

Not advocating one way or the other, just curious as to the punishment for a non chp holder not notifying… misdemeanor? Felony? Ticket? Warning? Ect
    this is a good question. Would that be failure to notify? Is that even a thing? What’s the penalty?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was told by my neighbor (Deputy Sheriff Sargent) to politely inform there is a firearm in the vehicle. He said "do not say I have a gun". His reasoning was the younger deputies may panic from hearing "gun".
    Yeah, I don’t find that comforting at all. I bet I won’t use the word “gun” again in that circumstance. Nor will I ever say, “acorn”…

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The one time I found it necessary to inform , I told him there was a " handgun in the console " . He said that's fine just leave it there . The only reason I told him was because my proof of insurance was in there too .

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I disagree. Just reading your first sentence saying situations like these are anomaly’s. If they were anomalies we wouldn’t all know several people with similar stories. I’ve met many of good men over the years with similar stories.

There are at least 50,000,000 police-civilian interactions a year. Let's assume you're 40 years old and you've been "adulting" for 20 or so years. There would have been more than 1.000.000.000 police-civilian interactions in that time. Now add your "several people with similar stories" to every story you've ever heard about interactions going bad. How close are you to 1,000,000,000?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There are at least 50,000,000 police-civilian interactions a year. Let's assume you're 40 years old and you've been "adulting" for 20 or so years. There would have been more than 1.000.000.000 police-civilian interactions in that time. Now add your "several people with similar stories" to every story you've ever heard about interactions going bad. How close are you to 1,000,000,000?
    I get it bro. Just like the no knock raids and all the wrong addresses when innocent people die because someone was negligent or maybe too gung ho. It happens in the medical field too. Oh sure, we kill folks all the time and call it malpractice. Of course, we do so while trying to save their lives and most times with their consent or that of a family member, but it’s all the same. Just a tragic statistic we’ve learned to accept. We don’t mean to kill anyone. People just die. It’s really just a small percentage.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I get it bro. Just like the no knock raids and all the wrong addresses when innocent people die because someone was negligent or maybe too gung ho. It happens in the medical field too. Oh sure, we kill folks all the time and call it malpractice. Of course, we do so while trying to save their lives and most times with their consent or that of a family member, but it’s all the same. Just a tragic statistic we’ve learned to accept. We don’t mean to kill anyone. People just die. It’s really just a small percentage.

So how close did you get to 1,000,000,000?

Top Bottom