CCW in Chicago, IL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just got back from a four day trip to Chicago last week. I brought my Ruger LCP and carried it in the windy city during the whole trip. Another officer who met me there also carried his KAhr PM9 the whole time. We never observed any signs on any businesses prohibiting carry.

I actually contacted Chicago PD prior to the trip because in spite of HR 418 I know some liberal cities can still be a bitch for out of state law enforcement to carry in. They said just have a picture commission with me when I carried.

I traved on Amtrak. Amtrak PD asked that I check the gun since I was off duty. Process was very similar to checking a handgun with an airline. Although the woman working at the train station in Chicago did give me a funny look when I told her I was checking a handgun. Lol. I thought for a second she was going to walk off an notify law enforcement that a person had a gun. If anyone wants me to go over the differences between checking on the train as opposed to the airline I can do that.

I also called my hotel before travel to see if they had any signs posted prohibiting firearms. I didn't tell them who I was when I called or that I was going to be staying there. The clerk seemed freaked out by my phone call. Guess even the word gun makes some in Chicago nervous.

Incidentally when I travel I use a small Pelican case alone with a combination TSA lock and another TSA lock for my bag and this seems to serve me well.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If you are checking the pelican case on an airplane, then you should not be using a TSA lock on it. You should be the only one capable of unlocking the gun case.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    What is HR 418??? Did you mean HR 218?

If so, that covers retirees. You're still active/currently commissioned, yes? That should cover everything... but not in some places. The District of Columbia and many New Jersey cops don't give a **** who you are or where you're from.

Why did you feel the need to check your iron on a train? Did they have metal detectors, searches, etc., prior to boarding?

I believe the first part of of HR218 covers all officers holding power of arrest, the second part covers retirees.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What is HR 418??? Did you mean HR 218?

If so, that covers retirees. You're still active/currently commissioned, yes? That should cover everything... but not in some places. The District of Columbia and many New Jersey cops don't give a **** who you are or where you're from.

Why did you feel the need to check your iron on a train? Did they have metal detectors, searches, etc., prior to boarding?

Yes, typed it on my cell phone. Meant HR 218. This also covers retired law enforcement with 15 years service who qualify yearly on their states POST Course. I'm active law enforcement right now.

I wasn't sure of what security in fact the train had, and since it's a federally owned I did not want to get in trouble with my department. In hind sight the lack of security on a train is amazing and I would probably just carry it on next time. I passed though no security in Hammond, LA or in Chicago Union Station. No metal detectors or searches of carry on baggage.

As far as using the TSA lock, I thought this was required. After all they always put a little card inside your gun case upon inspection when you check it. If its not required then I will change my locks. Thanks.

Last edited:

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What's a guy going to crash the train into after he hijacks it?

Since Amtrak uses freight rail lines and from time to time they get off on to waiting rail lines to let trains pass. Guess if you were a suicide Muslim type then you could run the train head on into a freight train in a high population area. Not to mention all the stops where random people get on and off. They don't even check tickets until the train is well under way from each stop.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Since Amtrak uses freight rail lines and from time to time they get off on to waiting rail lines to let trains pass. Guess if you were a suicide Muslim type then you could run the train head on into a freight train in a high population area. Not to mention all the stops where random people get on and off. They don't even check tickets until the train is well under way from each stop.

This^ is not so far fetched. However, I love that freedom is still first on Amtrak(even though we(tax payers)), own it.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    ... We never observed any signs on any businesses prohibiting carry.

I also called my hotel before travel to see if they had any signs posted prohibiting firearms. I didn't tell them who I was when I called or that I was going to be staying there. The clerk seemed freaked out by my phone call. Guess even the word gun makes some in Chicago nervous.

I'm sure 100% of the fact that there are no signs has to do with Chicago and IL have no form of legal concealed or open carry. They don't have any legal carriers and criminals aren't known to read/obey signs very often.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    True mb504. We suspected the same thing.

I even carried in the Field Museum which I was surprised didn't even have detectors at the entrance. Guess Chicago is a bit different than NY city which has high security at all its tourist attractions. The only security at Wrigley field was bag checks. No metal detectors there. I didn't carry there because I chose to experience an elevated state of inebriation that afternoon, but my friend did and had no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom