Celebrity activities: Important to the country or a side show to distract us.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Celebrity activities: Important to the country or a side show to distract us.

I keep see threads about Lil' Wayne, Alec Baldin, Jim Carrey, etc. My question is this: does anyone in politics who now actually determine what we'll do, drive, toilets, jobs et al actually care or pay attention to the side show clowns?

I know some of us certainly do seem to care about these things. But I feel those are side shows to distract us from the political process. Oh I know that the political power will eat with them and take their money. But do they actually care what these buffoons have to say as much as we apparently do?

The Founding Fathers knew that in order for their system of government to work it was necessary to have a well informed (the reason for freedom of speech) and well educated public.

So what say you?

Dave

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I believe you could make a very good arguement regarding the distractions....

As far as the celebs, themselves, I think the politicians largely view them as useful idiots- but take them a lot more seriously when it comes time to grab those campaign donations (the bigger names, anyway)...;)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I f.ing hate the obsession with people that do little to nothing to better our nation. (Celebrities)

I mean, If Kim K dies tonight, tomorrow will just be another Saturday to me. I don’t give a ****.

Like this whole Lil Wayne crap. So a 'Thug ass *****'(Self-proclaimed) steps all over the American Flag while it's laying on the ground. Surprised? Surprised? Really? Does anyone expect anything MORE from a guy like that? He's a buffoon, who gives a ****?!

To FoxNews credit, this is the LAST TIME Fox News ever really celebrated a celebrity death. :dunno:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I told someone the other day that if it were possible to send the entire Kartrashian/West/Jenner families to the planet Neptune, I'd gladly donate towards funding the rocket.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    But what you guys are not taking into consideration is the millions of morons that watch, care, and; hence, support these vapid zero's!

Don't understate your understanding and thus, rejection of these clowns; but also don't ever underestimate how outnumbered you are.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    But what you guys are not taking into consideration is the millions of morons that watch, care, and; hence, support these vapid zero's!

Don't understate your understanding and thus, rejection of these clowns; but also don't ever underestimate how outnumbered you are.

I agree. And thanks to the Teacher's Unions and US Department of Education fewer and fewer American's have enough education to know what's being lost. By education I mean far more than the rote memorization of facts that is stressed today. The young mind can do that with relative ease. I mean teaching the young the critical reasoning skills necessary to discern for themselves when they are being lied to about the world.

As an illustration to how poorly developed the mind is in those being currently educated ask them to do simple math skills... in their head... without a calculator. By and large most Americans simple can't do it anymore. The brain like a muscle needs to be exercised in order to be strong.

While I do enjoy television and movies, I find reading to be excellent way to condition the brain. Incidentally the favorite past time of early Americans was.... reading the news papers. Yes papers plural. I hope that translates to reading the internet in today's world. :)

Dave

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I don't think there is any conspiracy to use celebrities as a "distraction" I just think there are a bunch of retards who invest way to much of their time worrying about these people. People who have no idea they even exist and if they did know they existed would most of the time look down upon them anyway.

It will also be interesting to see how many in this thread talks against celebrities but celebrates the NFL or other athletes.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    It will also be interesting to see how many in this thread talks against celebrities but celebrates the NFL or other athletes.

I may be one of the few males that I know that could not give two shits about sports. I know thats blasphemy, but except for a mild appreciation for COLLEGE football and watching the occasional round of golf on tv, I totally have no use for sports. I can appreciate the abilities of the athletes involved but don't care to follow any organized sport.

I don't know if any of you have ever known anyone who is a celebrity, but I've known a couple of people who had a taste of it. Many of these people are absolutely nuts.

Celebrities do not live in the same world you and I live in and it warps their view of reality. It's almost like a psychiatric condition. It's no wonder that so many famous people have drug and alcohol problems.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

What does that mean to celebrate the NFL or Athletes?

I like Sports Games, like I like a good Movie,
    but I don't buy Jersey's and I'm not infatuated with Actors.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

I like Sports Games, like I like a good Movie,
    but I don't buy Jersey's and I'm not infatuated with Actors.

Yep. Kind of like LSU Football. I guess I look at it this way: Both the university and the athletic program are bigger than some full-of-himself kid who brings embarrassment down on all three. While I'll never condone stupid or criminal behavior by some individuals within the program, I don't see that as a reason to stop following the team. Overboard.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Actors until the 20th century used to be viewed as just what they are: needy attention whores just one step above an actual whore.

The ancient world's pro athletes were arguable the gladiators. They were also not too far above a slave in status. But they garnered a lot of attention from the uneducated masses.

I don't think that any of the above have changed much. The politicians just use the "celebrities" but don't respect them.

I don't feel that there's a big conspiracy in the paranoid view of the word.

Dave

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

You know how some celebrate Jesus every Sunday morning? Well there are some people who are just as religious about a sports team/teams and athletes, that is what I specifically mean about that.

Occasional I will find my self in a social circle where there will be people rattling off a player's statistics from the top of their head like they are reading it from an encyclopedia. The amount of brain power they devoted to knowing all of the star quarterbacks, the teams they are on, their completion ratio, and how many yards they threw for this season just boggles me.

Now I have nothing against football and watch most LSU games and some Saints but I will never put watching a football game over any event, task, or activity in my life, I just don't find it important. Others will schedule their wedding around it.

Lastly, if living in NFL bliss is your thing I say go for it! I'm not criticizing, I think everyone should do what makes them happy in life. I just don't find it that dissimilar to people who check TMZ 10 times a day to find out about Kim K.

3130ht4.jpg

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I may be one of the few males that I know that could not give two shits about sports. I know thats blasphemy, but except for a mild appreciation for COLLEGE football and watching the occasional round of golf on tv, I totally have no use for sports. I can appreciate the abilities of the athletes involved but don't care to follow any organized sport.

I don't know if any of you have ever known anyone who is a celebrity, but I've known a couple of people who had a taste of it. Many of these people are absolutely nuts.

Celebrities do not live in the same world you and I live in and it warps their view of reality. It's almost like a psychiatric condition. It's no wonder that so many famous people have drug and alcohol problems.

"Gun guys' Are markedly less interested in sports overall.

Personally I couldn't care less if all sports winked out of existence.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I told someone the other day that if it were possible to send the entire Kartrashian/West/Jenner families to the planet Neptune, I'd gladly donate towards funding the rocket.

They are celebrities at being celebrities. I have been watching the Mail Online for the last 63 days and counting to see if one day goes by that they do not mention one of the above. Still going strong. I know its more than 63 days...thats just when I decided to keep count.

Today-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ew-promo-Keeping-Up-With-The-Kardashians.html

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Meh. I'm more adjustable than that.

I like watching 'All things LSU' and Saints.

But if all sports died tomorrow, I'd still be going fishing. :dunno:

But I enjoy the heck out of them why they're here.

Does that make me not a gun guy? :p

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Noone forces anyone to keep up with them. I don't. I could literally only name probably a dozen celebrities via recognition, including athletes, if forced at gunpoint to try when shown their mug shots.

Top Bottom