Cerakote vs Birdsong coating

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppahunts

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    St, Martinville
    I am trying trying to decide on which coating to have put on my Rem 700 5R. Looking for feedback on which coating seems to be better, as for as uniformity and durability. Thanks

poppahunts

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    St, Martinville
    Thanks... But I was looking for some feeback from some folks that might have had one or the other, possibly both applied to weapons they owned, in efforts to make some comparisons. Thanks again.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I've never heard of Birdsong so Im not much help.

Thanks G.

EDIT: Went and looked for it. I'd go with Cerakoate. It's proven.

Last edited:

bryan54

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Cerakote

I am trying trying to decide on which coating to have put on my Rem 700 5R. Looking for feedback on which coating seems to be better, as for as uniformity and durability. Thanks

I had my MARLIN 444S lever action done with the stainless on metal and black finish on the stock, It came out very nice. I used it this hunting season with no issues. Very pleased with the finish.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I've never heard of Birdsong so Im not much help.

Thanks G.

EDIT: Went and looked for it. I'd go with Cerakoate. It's proven.

I have seen the Birdsong finish rust in a couple weeks. But this guy's sweat could rust plastic. It also wears quickly.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I have seen the Birdsong finish rust in a couple weeks. But this guy's sweat could rust plastic. It also wears quickly.

Are you sure it's Black T?

I own nearly ever commercial coating including both of the ones we are discussing. The statements in the post do not mimic my opinion or the general consensus of the informed populace.

You know what they say about opinions though ;)

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Are you sure it's Black T?

I own nearly ever commercial coating including both of the ones we are discussing. The statements in the post do not mimic my opinion or the general consensus of the informed populace.

You know what they say about opinions though ;)

It was definitely Black-T. But this same guy made a hard chromed pistol rust. The only finish that has held up to his sweat is Plate-Tacular's "Cobalt Armor"

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Ya know, this gives me an idea! I too have "caustic sweat" and it EATS watches! It literally eats off the plated exterior finish and eats away the underlaying brass. I wonder if I could get my watch coated with some black or silver finish that would make them last for me? Suggestions? Who to contact? I live in Shreveport, LA and a local dealer would be preferred.

poppahunts

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    St, Martinville
    Well, that's the first I ever heard of Black T rusting. I have had a dozen guns done with this stuff, and still have four of them. The G19 slide is actually Green T, and is worn white on all the edges from being carried and shot for years, numbering countless presentations. But not the first hint of rust... ever. My trap gun has both barrel sets Black T'ed, and I have shot in a driving rain with them several times. They were "put up wet", and not wiped down for hours; days, in one case. No rust/corrosion. I know of several Sigs that are Black T'ed, carried daily in uniform holsters (i.e., exposed to the elements), and show no rust, etc. The FBI mandates this coating on all their HRT/SWAT weapons, because it is truly bulletproof.

This stuff is not just for weapons. They have DOD contracts for all kinds of stuff to be done, including one of the electric motors on the Seawolf submarine.

I'm not familiar with Cerakote, but if it is similar to Duracoat, then the decision would be a no-brainer for me.

I take it the the finish from Birdsong is very durable from your experience?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benh
    Top Bottom