Cheap low-mileage vehicle insurance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    All of mine are with progressive. No mileage limits etc. I think my corvette is $90/ 6 months and would be cheaper if it wasn't the 5th vehicle and on a second policy by itself (they only allow 4 per policy). My camaro was under $70 /months when it was on policy 1. I don't like the restrictive collector car insurance (only drive on certain days and certain range form home, etc) so I keep everything on a standard high limit policy.

My 51 Crosley Farmoroad is with Grundy ($10/mo for 10k in collision. The the only limitations are commuting to and from work etc. its unlimited pleasure mileage. The big advantage to collector car insurance is the mutually agreed upon value.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I paid $200 up front for 6 months of coverage with Geico for the bare minimum in Louisiana. That's on my everyday vehicle I commute to work with. Shop around some insurance companies are ridiculous. Progressive went up to $120/month for me and that's what finally forced me to move away after being a loyal customer for 10 years. Couldn't believe Geico was so much cheaper.

Progressive is a high-risk insurer and thus have higher rates.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    With all of that being said - I'll start calling around.

I've dealt with Hagerty and Grundy for our classic cars, but I've still got my daily driver, the BMW, and two motorcycles to insure.

Also - Hagerty rocks as long as you aren't running a high HP car. Once you get something semi-dangerous, they stick a few restrictions on your policy.

xsboost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2007
    Walker, La.
    I'd be interested to hear what you end up settling on. I've been with Geico for almost 20 yrs now, but when I asked for "weekend/occasional use" reduced rates for my third vehicle the "excuse" they gave me was due to Louisiana State law minimum coverage limits, they couldn't extend the same discounts to us as they could other states. I guess it kinda makes sense, if it's being taken out of their hands, but I'd still be interested in someone else's findings....

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I'd be interested to hear what you end up settling on. I've been with Geico for almost 20 yrs now, but when I asked for "weekend/occasional use" reduced rates for my third vehicle the "excuse" they gave me was due to Louisiana State law minimum coverage limits, they couldn't extend the same discounts to us as they could other states. I guess it kinda makes sense, if it's being taken out of their hands, but I'd still be interested in someone else's findings....

It sounds to me like they are blowing smoke. Louisiana minimum coverage limits are so low, I wouldn't settle for that on anything.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    With all of that being said - I'll start calling around.

I've dealt with Hagerty and Grundy for our classic cars, but I've still got my daily driver, the BMW, and two motorcycles to insure.

Also - Hagerty rocks as long as you aren't running a high HP car. Once you get something semi-dangerous, they stick a few restrictions on your policy.

This is true. My Fiat has no restrictions, but my friend who has an older Camaro is limited in mileage and such.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    '70 - the only year with the two piece rear bumper.

The MG is with Hagerty right now, but the BMW is too new to be considered, no matter how low the mileage is - I was just looking for a cheaper option. Why spend so much money insuring something you'll drive 4-5 days a month when you don't have to?

How old does it have to be? I might need to look at them for my Mustang.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Go get an antique plate for the '87. I have a '84 rabbit that I registered as antique. Its a life time plate with no renewal. And my insurance is $42 per 6 months, $84 a year. Thats with a value of $5000 incase it gets destroyed. I also have a '91 miata that I get bent over on. Both cars are very much secondary but I pay $300/6 months on it with only basic liability... I need to go re shop that policy. Currently everything is statefarm

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Everyone with the "state minimum liability".... do y'all have good health insurance and/or an umbrella policy, or perhaps good life insurance?

If an uninsured driver hits you and you just have 10/20 liability, you're up the proverbial creek.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I was referring to health/life. I could care less about the car/bikes - I would likely MAKE money if I scrapped them...

Yeah that was aimed at the other post. But holy crap I can save $250/yr if I switch the Mustang to Grundy. And that includes losing the multi car discount at the other place and I'll had a ton more coverage.

Top Bottom