Checking Your Mirrors Doesn't ALWAYS Work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Except in this case there were THREE cars ahead of me. My bike was shoved into the silver car ahead of me and I ended up on it's trunk briefly before being deposited back on top of my then prone bike.

Believe it or not, this principle still applies in your case.
    Regardless of how many cars are ahead of you.

Not trying to justify the douchebag rammer's actions at all, just putting out a little nerdliness for thought.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Lane splitting WILL NEVER work in La, people HATE that a motorcycle can go when they cant! members of this board have said they would open there car door on a bike doing that!

I've done it for work more times than I can count and it's very dangerous, especially where people are exiting parking lots etc in heavy traffic. It's fine in California where people are accustomed to it I guess but here it would be a disaster. But hey, what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I've done it for work more times than I can count and it's very dangerous, especially where people are exiting parking lots etc in heavy traffic. It's fine in California where people are accustomed to it I guess but here it would be a disaster. But hey, what do I know

I lived in California quite some time back (in the Army) and only had a motorcycle for transport.
    That said, I never saw lane splitting as safe, even there, so I never did it.
    If other folks want to, that's up to them.
    Just not for me.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Lane splitting WILL NEVER work in La, people HATE that a motorcycle can go when they cant! members of this board have said they would open there car door on a bike doing that!
    Well, there are folks that don't like us carrying either. If they threatened to do stupid **** to hurt those of us lawfully doing so should we bow to their idiocy? Of course not.

FWIW I don't really know if I would be comfortable lane splitting at speed. With that said though it sure would be useful at traffic control lights and such to keep from some jackwagon driving up my ass. What I DO know is that laws shouldn't be passes or not passed based upon whether or not it would **** off other drivers. If these folks can't grasp that they can easily walk away from a rear end collision while in their cage but the cyclist has MUCH more exposure then they shouldn't be driving. People that immature need to go back to relying upon mommy and daddy for transportation.

- - - Updated - - -

SITREP: Took the day off and decided to take tomorrow off as well. I'm getting around pretty well considering and I've kept the pain medication at bay for the most part. Some have voiced concern over the possibility of internal injury, so far that doesn't seem to be a problem. My back is feeling better but is still very stiff and my neck and traps are killing me. I welcome the pain... it means I'm still alive.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I used to ride when I lived in California. I wasn't big on lane splitting at speed, but would do it in congested traffic or at stop light sometimes. But my days of owning and riding motorcycles ended with a crash that totaled my bike and left me with broken arm and a concussion (I don't actually remember the accident). After 15 years, 6 different bikes (all Hondas) and 10's of thousands of miles, I figured it was time. A CHP officer I met at a diner once told me, there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders, those who have crashed and those who will. Once I experienced just how fragile that balance is, I realized it had run it's course for me. Now when I see motorcycles on the road, I just reflect how glad I am to be in a car.

Glad you walked away from this one, some aren't so lucky.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I hope you get well soon bud. I ride my bike as much as possible especially to commute to work. This thread is just another good reminder for me to ride like everyone is gonna get me. I laid my bike down on gravel a month or 2 after I first got it....talk about a bruise and pain for a month or so. Anti-inflammatories are key.

I feel the need to cordially invite you to post pictures of your injuries in this thread that I created a while back

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?144933-Your-worst-injuries-Post-pics&highlight=

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    SITREP: Took the day off and decided to take tomorrow off as well. I'm getting around pretty well considering and I've kept the pain medication at bay for the most part. Some have voiced concern over the possibility of internal injury, so far that doesn't seem to be a problem. My back is feeling better but is still very stiff and my neck and traps are killing me. I welcome the pain... it means I'm still alive.

Take as much time as you can and get the rest your body needs.
    Yes, you are still alive; hope you keep it up for a long time.
    Accidents remind you of just how fragile and fleeting life can be.

Be well.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    When I was talking about lane splitting, I was meaning at traffic lights, not passing cars at 70 in slow freeway traffic. I always feel most vulnerable on my motorcycle sitting tail end at a light, and I usually move to stop by the line anyway, flashing my brake light and eying the mirror, just not moving forward, just so I am not in the line of travel and have the quickest escape rout.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Glad you're relatively OK. Heal up quick. That's one of my biggest fears when traffic stops on HWY 1.

Nowhere in the world is it legal to fly between cars at highway speeds. Lane splitting is meant for when traffic is very slow or stopped, such as at a light. True, people here would lose their ****, but Baton Rouge needs all the traffic alleviation it can get and we've got to start somewhere. When done CORRECTLY, it's safe and has been proven so.

As it is, I take the ferry home from Plaquemine to Prairieville every day because it feels very unsafe with everyone trying to cut in to spaces they won't fit and generally not paying attention on the interstate.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Glad you're relatively OK. Heal up quick. That's one of my biggest fears when traffic stops on HWY 1.

Nowhere in the world is it legal to fly between cars at highway speeds. Lane splitting is meant for when traffic is very slow or stopped, such as at a light. True, people here would lose their ****, but Baton Rouge needs all the traffic alleviation it can get and we've got to start somewhere. When done CORRECTLY, it's safe and has been proven so.

As it is, I take the ferry home from Plaquemine to Prairieville every day because it feels very unsafe with everyone trying to cut in to spaces they won't fit and generally not paying attention on the interstate.

Hwy 1 has turned into a free for all scene from a mad max movie.

Top Bottom