Chief Justice Roberts' possibly brilliant 'Double Reverse' play

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Brilliant strategy to box Obama in where he cannot criticize the Court Judicial Actvism and he can't trumpet the decision either, since it states that Democrats overreached in trying to justify the law under the Commerce Clause. Worse yet, it calls the mandate something that Democrats didn't want it to be: a tax.

Conversely, the decision may be the optimal result for Mitt Romney. If the Court had struck down the mandate, it would have taken off the table an issue that Republican base voters care tremendously about. But in upholding the law, the Court didn't just leave that issue on the table; it gave Romney tremendous ammunition he can use to criticize Obama as a tax raiser.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Brilliant strategy to box Obama in where he cannot criticize the Court Judicial Actvism and he can't trumpet the decision either, since it states that Democrats overreached in trying to justify the law under the Commerce Clause. Worse yet, it calls the mandate something that Democrats didn't want it to be: a tax.

Conversely, the decision may be the optimal result for Mitt Romney. If the Court had struck down the mandate, it would have taken off the table an issue that Republican base voters care tremendously about. But in upholding the law, the Court didn't just leave that issue on the table; it gave Romney tremendous ammunition he can use to criticize Obama as a tax raiser.
    Someone gets it.

Only thing I do not like is that this can serve as a bad precedent. We can now be taxed on things Congress has no direct power over.

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Someone gets it.

Only thing I do not like is that this can serve as a bad precedent. We can now be taxed on things Congress has no direct power over.

But taxes can be repealed

Besides, the Congress needs to tell the American people that they are being taxed. Not lied to as in this Obama Health Care Tax.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area

I have a said depressing question , what happens if the strategy doesn't work and we have for more years of douchebag ? It is a feel good thing to think but it is a high high risk to .

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have a said depressing question , what happens if the strategy doesn't work and we have for more years of douchebag ? It is a feel good thing to think but it is a high high risk to .

Sadly, I think we will realize this. Obama is currently ahead in the polls, and massively in the electoral colleges.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

The court also ruled states cannot be forced to expand their Medicaid programs. Jindal already said our state was not going to expand Medicaid in Louisiana. I think the Tea Party is going to be a force to be reckoned with. This just re-energized their base. Initially I thought all was lost. After re-assessing the situation I see it as brilliant.
    1. The hotly contested issue is still alive for the presidential election.
    2. The Tea Party will be energized.
    3. It was deemed a tax even though we were told it wasn't.
    Obama said if you make under $200K/year your taxes would not go up. They did.
    4. 2/3 of Americans don't like Obama Care.
    5. The Democrats were ruled to have over reached the Commerce clause.
    There is a lot of win here. I'm just curious to see how it's going to play out.
    And as an added bonus Eric Holder was found GUILTY of contempt.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^ where's the like button?

OTOH, I'd have preferred for the supreme court to issue a ruling that just said 'you're nuts if you think that's constitutional!'.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    [shaking cobwebs out of head]

Gotta admit that I was seduced by the premise of the OP.

This idiot Roberts was the swing vote. He would have accomplished the very same thing by voting no on the tax AND no on the mandate.
    Instead he has just opened Pandora's Box. He has granted carte blanche absolute control over EVERY aspect of your life.

Not to mention he endorsed government seizure of 18% of the economy.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    No matter which way you cut it this is a loss. The Supreme Court just said that it is Constitutional for Congress to coerce its people to buy something or be penalized by taxation.

Top Bottom