Child learning to shoot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TerryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Albany, LA
    When should you start teaching kids to shoot. My son is five and I've been showing him how to shoot my airsoft, just wondering what kind of learning curve I should expect.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Some kids pick up quicker than others. Guess some have more interest in it. Me n my ex introduced her son at 8 with a red Ryder BB gun and then a ruger 10/22. He done good with it but had a short attention span and would lose interest quick.

TerryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Albany, LA
    I try to keep it interesting for him, he seems to like it, so that's cool. We just use a airsoft pistol for now. my dad has a Red Ryder for him it's a little to big for him as of now, but I try to get him to shoot it when we're at his place.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I try to keep it interesting for him, he seems to like it, so that's cool. We just use a airsoft pistol for now. my dad has a Red Ryder for him it's a little to big for him as of now, but I try to get him to shoot it when we're at his place.

My son is 6. I have him shooting a Red ryder now. A little too big but I have him shoot sitting or prone for the most part. He is not there yet on muzzle discipline and full understanding of gun safety for me to give him anything bigger. I find he stays interested the longest if I have a decent size target that he can hit that makes noise. Cans were a little small so we use to shoot an old basketball and he liked that for some reason. I've seen other kids his age that are perfectly safe and comfortable with an actual firearm but they are all different. I won't rush it.
    I did buy him an AR 15 already but it will be a long time till he gets to shoot it.

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    To me, a big part of the deal is how the gun fits him.
    You would't want to teach a kid to play golf with adult-sized clubs, and you don't want to try and teach a kid to hold a stock that is took heavy or too far out in front of his shoulder.

I tried to cut down a 10-22 stock to make it kid-size... FAIL
    I ended up getting a 6-position adjustable tapco he can comfortably hold.

I think he was 7 or so.

I taught him to shoot pistols with a Walther P22 and a Ruger single-six in .22
    He's a ballsy little kid, he's 10 now, but he started shooting skeet from his hip with a 12-gauge a year or so ago.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Maturity and Size determine too. At 7 some kids are big enough to shoot a .410, some are not.
    Also at that age some kids are big enough to shoot but not mature enough.

I started explaining to my son when he was 5 that guns are very powerful and should be treated with respect. HERE is where they go and you are to NEVER touch them unless you are with ME.

I got him a Buck BB Gun, cut the stock in half and stack up a SOLO Cup pyramid for him. Tons of fun and a good opportunity to teach him about Gun Safety and how to walk with a gun.

My son got pumped about it, then lost interest. Then picked up a Bow (Hawkeye). Now is back on guns. I don't pressure him but when he shows interest in guns I make sure he knows were not playing with plastic.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I got my daughter a TC Hotshot when she turned 5 and she loves it-pink camo.
    My son is 3 and plan on getting him one the same age.
    I got a panel of hog wire and will blow up some balloons and place them in the squares then she can shoot the different colors( like on Top Shot - Her words).
    With the reactive targets she gets instant and positive feedback.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Also at that age some kids are big enough to shoot but not mature enough.

That's a HUGE point right there, and bears singling out.

I was helping to introduce a friend's boy (7) to firearms over a couple of weekends and the kid took to it very well. He was a competent gun handler, extremely careful and safe, and very calm and collected while at the range (and especially on the firing line).

Talking about it at a family/friend dinner one night, another companion spoke up and said that he should get his son (8) started as well. I recoiled in terror at the thought-- the kid's daily demeanor was like a rabid squirrel on crack and on fire, stuck in a room full of hungry cats.

At the early age, your focus should be on instilling good habits-- primarily in regards to gun handling and firearms safety. You're probably not going to train up the next Carlos Hathcock or Max Michel before their bodies are finished settling in-- too much going on in regards to coordination and all of that good stuff. The trigger time will translate down the road, but most importantly, your goal ought to be to make them safe, competent and comfortable with a firearm in their hands.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    My sister just got her 6 yr old the savage rascal .22 with the accutrigger and it is a small gun. It is his Christmas present so he hasn't shot it yet.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    And alot of it hinges on what activities you partake in. My kids saw me toting my handgun with me all the time and watched me take the rifles and shotguns hunting all the time. All kids (mostly boys), believe they want to shoot guns instinctively. It's in our blood.

Once they show interest, it's the mentor that guides the path to what happens for them next.

Prime example: My oldest (14), is all in across the board particularly hunting. My youngest (7), only likes to just shoot the cool looking rifles and pistols. Couldn't care less about the hunting, yet.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I taught all of my boys at age 5. Funny thing is that the Red Ryder was too big for each of them, but the little Crickett .22 was no problem at all!

EOC_01.jpg

crickett.22+008.jpg

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Mine started "shooting" at age 5 but he would just pull the trigger and not really care what the he was shooting at, he will be 7 in January and now shoots pistols (M22) standing, rifle he is still a little ADD and blocks his own mind into believing without the "table" I cant make it.

He enjoys it but not as much as I thought he would, thanks to ex wife putting in his head the range is not really "father/son bonding" but where daddy works so thats no fun.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My son is almost 5 and has been shooting an airsoft HK P30 since Christmas.

He's not horrible, but seems to be cross eye dominant. Thanks mom.

He gets a cricket for his 5th birthday. And the small red Ryder for Christmas.

It bothers me nobody makes a youth sized .177 or .22 crack barrel air rifle for back-yard practice.

He LOVES shooting reactive targets and those crack barrel air guns are excellent.

Airsoft, not so much. We use cardboard cut outs with airsoft.

Top Bottom