Children's shooting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    I have been itching to get my son involved in some competition type shooting and am trying to see what's out there. He is 6 years old, I have found a few things online but have seen some 8 year old age restrictions. Is there anything around the Slidell and surrounding areas for the 6 year old age group? Just looking for some rimfire rifle shoots mainly. If you know of any that would be a great help.

Maybe some people would be interested in talking to Honey Island Range and see about starting a youth league. Maybe do a once a month youth shooting contest and training. I would be in to help organize and try and talk to the range officers or I am sure there are a few of them on this site that may have some insight on something like that.

Thanks
    Jeric

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    we generally get them started in Highpower at 14yo at the earliest. Most kids cant grasp the fundementals of positions at the age of 6, at least my son does not. Granted he shoots, and I instruct him on proper position sight alignment and trigger control, but not the same way I do. I just dont think they "get it" at that age. When he hits about 10, Ill start bringing him to smallbore and air rifle matches. The CMP has a Distinguished Air Rifle program specifically for Juniors. Check it out over at ODCMP.org. I dont know of any clubs in your area, but John Hashhagen runs an air rifle club in West Feleciana for juniors. Also several Range Officers at Honey Island also shoot highpower with me and could help you out. Locate Jay Hunt, Mike Strikemiler, or Nick Owen.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    These guys have all types of firearms programs. Call this guy, and go online to see what they offer. This is a very underutilized resource and definitely not as well known by the masses as it should be.

David Boldt
    4-H Youth & Family Development Department
    169 Knapp Hall
    110 LSU Union Square
    Baton Rouge, LA 70803-0106
    dboldt@agcenter.lsu.edu
    (225)578-2196 Office
    (225)578-7847 Fax

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Yeah 4-H is one of the first groups I looked into and they do offer some rimfire and air rifle things for the kids but I believe the age groups started at 8-10yrs old for the youngest. I was trying to get him into it now to keep him from learning bad habits and trying to break them later. I started bringing my son to the range when he was four, shooting my .22's. He received his first marlin 22lr bolt action at 5, a 22lr single action revolver at 6, now he is 6 1/2 and am finally finishing up his 10/22 build. With his bolt 22lr he can ring the steel plates at Honey Island at 100yds, which isn't bad for 6yrs old and 100yd shot with the 22lr. He also nails the steel plates at 25yds with my Ruger MK II, and my 686 .357, granted the 686 gets 38special loads and I have to help him hold the weight up but I only stand behind him and brace the gun, I don't even look down the sights with him.

Either way I am proud as can be of his talent and want to challenge him with it. I really am just wanting to get him involve in shooting with more control and restrictions. I don't want it to be where he just sits and shoots as much as he wants. He needs the discipline and fundamentals and I don't think he will get that with just me at the range having fun.

So while true they may not have the control or concentration that a 10 or 12 year old may, the best thing I think to do is start early. Teach them breathing, sight picture and the more simple fundamentals now. That way as they grow a little older and learn the things like the body position techniques they already have the muscle memory built up to do the small things without thinking about it.

If anyone just wants to put together a group of 6 or 8 kids and start making bi monthly planned trips to the range or someone's property to let them challenge each other and teach each other let me know. I have been scouting property for a while now and hopefully by next summer I plan to pick up 5 or so acres and set up a little rimfire range for him.

Attachments

• 248310_10151269181237208_988216125_n.jpg
      248310_10151269181237208_988216125_n.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 51
    • 2012-12-31_12-05-14_520.jpg
      2012-12-31_12-05-14_520.jpg
      261.1 KB · Views: 50
    • 2012-11-11_10-54-03_990.jpg
      2012-11-11_10-54-03_990.jpg
      261.7 KB · Views: 50

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Try messaging golden dragon on here, he is involved in a lot of kid's cowboy action stuff and is a hell of a nice guy.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Most competetion is fired from position, sometimes with a sling for support, the only one fired from a bench is Benchrest and "belly benchrest" called f class. The positions require him to be able to pick up and hold a rifle for 20-30 minute stages even with a lightweight rifle. Very few 6yo's have the physical ability to do that, hence the starting age of 8-10.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'd be interested in joining you with my son. He turns 6 in December. Has a little cricket 22. I've done a bad job explaining sight picture through the peep sight, I think, but we've mostly focused on safety and working the action himself.

He was actually asking to go this weekend. Might take him and his grandpa out Sunday.

trapshooter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I too have been looking to get my 12 yr old into some sort of competition as well, he shoots with me but I think he would do better with an instructor other than myself to help with, sight alignment, proper shouldering of a long gun as well as sight picture. I feel I do well with him, but sometimes it seems a professional outsider type may keep him fundamentally correct as well as interested. Maybe he does better than expected for a 12 year old and maybe dad is just expecting more from him. We do not get around very many youngsters his age that participate in firearm activity so maybe I just don't have the knowledge to know where his progression level should be at this time. Any help on the situation would be super. I would really like to have him around other kids as long as I am comfortable with the group, some of these public ranges scare the hell out of me the way they allow the kids to disrespect firearm safety.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I'm a big supporter of the YHEC program especially if they are just getting into shooting or are interested in hunting in general. It provides a good introduction to a variety of different kinds of shooting.

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Yeah Akajun I don't think my son would be able to do the unsupported style shooting. His bolt action is way to heavy and the 10/22 I am building him has the bull barrel so don't think that is going to work out either. That's kind of why I was hoping to find a young group that did some supported shooting positions. Whether it be bipod or sand bag or rest doesn't really matter. I will purchase what he needs to accommodate. I had emailed the guy David mentioned earlier from Honey Island but no response yet. I may try emailing the honey island group box and see.
    Also I guess thinking more now, I may be looking for "competition" more for me to see how good he is doing but really I think he needs some sort of league. Getting a local group of say ten or so kids and parents to set up a league and operate similar to a T-ball/Baseball league where we do regular set meets. Would have to find at least two good coaches, while "I" feel I am a great shooter, have coached many people through qualification with the military and good with kids I would like to see two actual firearms/marksmanship instructors volunteer some time for this. I think having someone with actual instructor experience would really help. I would be willing to pay some league fee's if it came down to it. I'm pretty certain I could get FITS to help us out but only problem with them is it's only the short indoor range, wouldn't be bad to have them practice there though. I may try and stop by there tomorrow after work and see what I can find out.

Any one actually knowledgeable in marksmanship instruction and would be willing to volunteer some time. I'm thinking maybe start off small with a bi-monthly meet. Let me know and I'm going to start calling around and see what places will be willing to help out.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    What your looking for is me, and the other members of the LSA. We coach many kids into marksmanship, and have even gotten two into scholarships on marksmanship. Your sons just not old enough yet where we can work with him. However that does not prevent you from shooting Highpower, smallbore, prone, or F class, or any of the other disciplines we shoot and learning what it is about. Bring him along, let him watch, let him get interested.
    After thinking about it, there is a smallbore match that is shot at Palo Alto on the Second Saturday of every month from March to November. There is an F-class division which is shot from prone from a rest at 50 and 100yds which your son could shoot in, however he would be shooting against the entire field of competitiors, not just kids, and shooting 100 yds with a 22 well is no easy feat.

Top Bottom