chime in...my lab was bitten by a cottonmouth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Happened around 8am, thought it was just a bee/hornet sting. noticed his snout swelled up about 9:30. Gave him some benadryl about 10. He seems fine still, not lethargic, or uncomfortable, and the swelling doesn't seem any worse. Just found the snake that he killed, or whats left of it. it was a small one, probably only about a foot long. How imperative is it that he gets to a vet, 'cause I'm broker than broke; but I don't want to lose him.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    My dogs get bitten every now and then. The only vet trip was for a real old dog that was bitten but the rest have never had a problem.

MOTOR51

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Had 2 male wolf malamutes bitten at different times over the years. Vet in Clinton (Beauchamp) met me at his office both times, great guy that he is, because they both happened on a Sunday. They were treated within an hour of the bite with antibiotics, steroids and diuretics. Both were fine the next day. He told me that they probably would have been fine, although the first one had tied into it with a 4 ft cottonmouth in the spring and took at least 3 bites about the chest and face. Vet said bigger dogs usually do ok, but ya gotta watch for necrosis around the bite later on.
    Lots of cool water and rest was all he recommended after the visit.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Labs are one of the most resilient dogs when it comes to snake bites we have had a few bitten by cottonmouths
    the first time it was rush to the vet and all the vet did was wash it put a cream on it and said keep it clean she will be fine in 3-4 days.
    Based on 3 occasions but YMMV

Last edited:

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    the one that got him (or whats left)
    1_IMG00442-20130519-1229.jpg

Still keeping an eye on him, he seems to be taking it well.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My dogs are stupid, they have been bit with some regularity over the past few years. All a vet is going to do is give it antibiotics for the bite and some steroids.

Source- I lived with a veterinarian for 4 years. She would give the dogs benadryl.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Let's see a picture of the dog's snout. How bad is the swellling?

He's two years old and about 90-95 pounds. The bite was right behind the corner of his nostril. Definite swelling in his lip and from his nose up. He's active and running around with his ball in his mouth, but he doesn't want us holding his head to look; I can imagine it is really sore. The swelling doesn't seem to be affecting his breathing.
    1_IMG00448-20130519-1344.jpg

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    He's two years old and about 90-95 pounds. The bite was right behind the corner of his nostril. Definite swelling in his lip and from his nose up. He's active and running around with his ball in his mouth, but he doesn't want us holding his head to look; I can imagine it is really sore. The swelling doesn't seem to be affecting his breathing.
    1_IMG00448-20130519-1344.jpg

Doesn't look that bad to me, seems like he's acting normal. If a vet visit poses a financial strain to you, I'd probably wait it out.

Disclaimer: I'm not a vet and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe if it were a smaller dog. Dogs seem to hold up better than people. I am not a vet, but my dogs have been bitten and it wasnt bad enough to deter them from getting bitten again, and again, and again...

Benadryl is 1mg per pound. Better to be a little over than under.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    you can keep him on benadryl to lesson his reaction.. give him plenty of fresh water, I would also keep him inside to monitor if he isnt already.. the cool temps inside will also help with his comfort .
    he can tolerate up to 50 mg with his weight and just monitor his breathing as you mentioned and also for dead tissue..

For the record, the smaller snakes are more worrisome , as they use all the venom immediately, without control.

whatever you do, do not give him aspirin , as it causes too many bleeding problems..

good luck

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I an in the luxurious position, I'd take him to the vet every single time.

However... Most of the time it's a matter of treating for infection. The dangerous issue depends on where the dog was bitten, how many times, and so forth. Muzzles and throats are an issue because the swelling can induce breathing problems. Our snakes use their venom to eat and they don't like to waste it for defense. So a great many bites are dry which lessens the severity. If the snake strikes several times, dumping venom each time you have a bigger problem than a snake snoozing off a fresh meal.

Chances are you'll be ok. But there are many reasons why once you might not. Your biggest concern is keeping his airway clear.

And establish a relationship with a good vet. They prefer to get paid but I know if I get in a financial bind, my vet of ten+ years wouldn't turn me away. I'm just a client, but the kids are her patients.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Vet in Clinton (Beauchamp) met me at his office both times, great guy that he is, because they both happened on a Sunday.

Just an aside-Until I moved to Gonzales in 2006, Dr. Beauchamp was the only vet my whole family ever used. He is a great guy.
    We had to finally put our Akita down at age 12 in 2004 and her having a brain tumor. He came out to the house around 8:00 at night to take care of things and appeared to be as broken up about it as we were as he had been her vet since she was a pup.
    You can't find better, imho.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am not a vet either, but I would recommend giving him the maximum dose of benadryl for a good three more days. After that you could probably cut it in half for the next 2-5 depending on the swelling. He should be fine as long as you encourage him to drink water and eat.

Top Bottom