Choke reamed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    I have a Remington 870 VR barrel with a fixed full choke. Is there someone in NO area who could ream it out to Modified choke? Years ago I had a full barrel reamed to Improved Cylinder and it was death on rising quail. Thanks

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    If you ever make it to BR I have a choke reamer and have done this before , I also have tooling to put in tru choke screw in chokes.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Pretty easy job I have all the reamers/taps and all the bushing sizes, I normally do it to peoples SBS projects but I can knock it out for you as well if you are coming to the BR area.

image.jpg

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I would not use the shotgun barrel in the picture to drum up work because it shows very crappy work. Your reamer got way off center in the picture. Its paper thin on the bottom and thick at 2 oclock.
    Pretty easy job I have all the reamers/taps and all the bushing sizes, I normally do it to peoples SBS projects but I can knock it out for you as well if you are coming to the BR area.

image.jpg

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I would not use the shotgun barrel in the picture to drum up work because it shows very crappy work. Your reamer got way off center in the picture. Its paper thin on the bottom and thick at 2 oclock.

Shows how dumb you are, it's a piloted reamer and I dial the barrels in with a 4 jaw. I guess you think that shotgun barrels have an OD and ID that match?
    If I cut the barrel to your standards it would be off and you would have a shelf in the barrel and cause problems. For that matter I have every bushing size in .001 increments so it can't be off of where the barrel is actually bored.

Learn something before you come to someone like the way you do.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Well then u better learn how to use your equipment better because if u did a job like that on one of my shotguns you would be replacing the barrel. It looks terrible and I think it would be unsafe if it is only thousands of an inch on one side.
    Shows how dumb you are, it's a piloted reamer and I dial the barrels in with a 4 jaw. I guess you think that shotgun barrels have an OD and ID that match?
    If I cut the barrel to your standards it would be off and you would have a shelf in the barrel and cause problems. For that matter I have every bushing size in .001 increments so it can't be off of where the barrel is actually bored.

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US

Not defending Blue Diamond, but I think he viewed it wrong given the lighting and shadows. But then I could be wrong too

Best to ya.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    No disrespect to you but if a barrel is that much out ; the job should have never been done. I spent a few years running a lathe and if I had turned in a piece looking like that I would have lost my job. You should of said NO

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    No disrespect to you but if a barrel is that much out ; the job should have never been done. I spent a few years running a lathe and if I had turned in a piece looking like that I would have lost my job. You should of said NO

Not something I can help, you keep laying blame on me like it's either something I did wrong or was negligent. Which if you know anything about shotgun barrels is BS. For one it's not unsafe. You don't have a caliper on the material so you don't know the wall thickness to pass judgement nor do you know the acceptable tolerances for shotgun wall thicknesses, what cutters to use for certain wall thicknesses, or anything of the sort.

So you can keep saying all the things you like this barrel went out 4 months ago and patterned great when he got it.
    Assuming the barrel will rupture or anything of the sort is completely ridiculous.

I know you think the barrel looks like aluminum foil on the bottom left side but it doesn't so look harder. When you have cut a few hundred shotgun barrels and have a firm grasp on how it's setup and works then you have my permission to talk to me like I'm a hack job gunsmith like majority of people out there doing work.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Em is correct, it is not that uncommon to have a barrel where the bore is not concentric with the od, and to not discover this until the barrel is cut back for some reason. Surprisingly it's more common to find this in rifle barrels than shotgun barrels . As long as the barrel thickness at the thinnest points is within the choke maker's specs it's fine. Blue diamond if you ran a lathe you should know how hard it is to drill a straight hole over a long distance even with a gun drill.

Top Bottom