Cigarette Butts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    I see pick up trucks going down the road with Styrofoam cups, Walmart bags, newspapers, etc., blowing out of the truck beds. I go to the grocery store and see garbage everywhere in the parking lots from trash left in the carts. The ditches in Louisiana are filled with trash and the state is worried about someone throwing a cigarette butt out of their car window. The only thing I can figure is, they're worried that a lit cigarette butt might catch the garbage in the ditches and along the road on fire. I could understand this law if Louisiana was pristine, like Florida or well kept like most of the other states in the union. This place is unbelievable. $300 fine and 8 hours community service for the first offense. What a joke.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I see pick up trucks going down the road with Styrofoam cups, Walmart bags, newspapers, etc., blowing out of the truck beds. I go to the grocery store and see garbage everywhere in the parking lots from trash left in the carts. The ditches in Louisiana are filled with trash and the state is worried about someone throwing a cigarette butt out of their car window. The only thing I can figure is, they're worried that a lit cigarette butt might catch the garbage in the ditches and along the road on fire. I could understand this law if Louisiana was pristine, like Florida or well kept like most of the other states in the union. This place is unbelievable. $300 fine and 8 hours community service for the first offense. What a joke.

They want you to recycle them. At least in New Orleans they do.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Oh I don't know. Its symbolic. A lot of smokers don't see throwing a cigarette butt out the window as littering. Maybe this will encourage a few to stop doing that. It also causes grass fires, which costs us tax money to put out.

And, yes, the amount of litter is horrible.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Littering is littering. I don't give a damn if it's a cup, bag, cigarette butt, or a used condom. And yes, I've personally seen a used condom on the side of the road working a vehicle accident. I wish littering laws would be enforced better than what they are in my area. I can't stand having to pick trash out of my front yard before cutting grass.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Many smokers see the world as their personal ash tray. They throw buts all over our strip mall parking lot. It's aggravating as hell picking up behind the low life's who do this.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have no problem with the state getting tougher on this. I'm guessing none of you would like someone dumping their trash on your front lawn, so why would you do the same on public property?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I regularly get beer cans and fast food bags on my lawn, it's pretty damn annoying. I'm all for increasing fines and enforcement for all forms of littering. I just don't understand it, maybe I was just brought up decently. The inside of my truck may look like a recycling bin, but nothing ever gets dropped out of the window.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I regularly get beer cans and fast food bags on my lawn, it's pretty damn annoying. I'm all for increasing fines and enforcement for all forms of littering. I just don't understand it, maybe I was just brought up decently. The inside of my truck may look like a recycling bin, but nothing ever gets dropped out of the window.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.
    Exactly.
    I'm the same way. My car is littered with trash because I can't stand littering.
    I wish they would have increased the fines and community service for all littering
    and then actually crack down on it.
    But... Instead of a common sense attitude like that, they pass a law against butts.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I have no problem with the law, littering is littering. My only question is when are they going to put ash trays back in vehicles? If there's no ash tray, what do you do with them?

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    I have no problem with the law, littering is littering. My only question is when are they going to put ash trays back in vehicles? If there's no ash tray, what do you do with them?

One of my sentiments Demon. No place to put an ashtray in your car anymore.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know this is Emp's pet peeve so I'll wait 'till Monday to take my lumps, but do we really need another farqing law. Good grief. I don't know about the rest of the state but the lack of maintenance in EBR is another joke. Has anyone seen a parish owned street sweeper. I think I did once 20 years ago. I know of one, and I'm sure there are more street sweeper businesses in EBR. The one I know of does very well.

This law is lame, oppressive and unconstitutional! I don't really believe the last two parts but have always wanted to say that.

I'm curios, for those of you who wallow in your love for this law or think it should go further, is it the butt you loathe, or the butt smoker?

Mac 1 you are dead on brother!

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    One of my sentiments Demon. No place to put an ashtray in your car anymore.

Check with the parts department. I remember my mother was able to get an ashtray which fits into the drink holder from the GM parts department.
    Or...Autozone sells them also.
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bell-Sport-ashtray/_/N-25bu?itemIdentifier=761458_0_0_

Last edited:

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    First off, I am a smoker, but I don't toss em out the window. For a few bucks, you can get a "Butt Bucket" ashtray at any auto parts store or wally world. It fits in a cup holder, drop the butt in, it self extinguishes. Super easy.

That being said, littering is already against the law, so I Also agree this is a huge waste to make a special law just for butts. Enforce the damm laws we already have on the books. I also can't stand picking up peoples crap out of of my yard either but it happens almost every weekend. How about a special law for people driving home half lit or fully lit tossing their trash out into our yards and wasting mailboxes along the way.

Top Bottom